Gmail Ending? Google Starts Migrating Users

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This seems rather premature, but how would you feel if Inbox replaced Gmail?

The pop-up appears when Inbox users login and states “Thanks for trying Inbox! To make it easier we’ve updated Gmail to redirect you here”. In plain URL terms this means the standalone inbox.google.com address for the beta service disappears and Inbox instead resides at gmail.com.

I used Inbox for about a week and went back to Gmail. If Google forced me to use Inbox, I would just switch to a different email.

Not sure what I think of inbox. It's very different from other email clients. Sadly, for Google, I only use gmail for spam stuff, which means I check it maybe once a month. My gut says that the earlier commenters are right that this is not likely to succeed. Gmail, Outlook (online and the win32 client) and Yahoo all work similarly and this doesn't seem to fit that mold.

First I was confused, then I realised that this is talking about the browser-based access instead of the IMAP-based interface I have been using almost exclusively with GMail for years now :)

Hasn't hit me yet but if it's as bad as it sounds, that would be a nopefish and i'd be out.

I must have turned off Inbox by accident cause i still see nothing but GMail when i go there.

Still have the regular gmail but if they did end up forcing me to use inbox I would probably being moving on.

I tried it on Android and it blows. It didn't take long for me to dump it. Sad thing is I just moved my POP3 email to go through Gmail, but I'd just go back to Outlook.

It's not horrible. But, it's not good, either.

I prefer Gmail over Outlook due to it can spam filter POP3 email from my other email (from personal website). Outlook has not done it, even when bugging the Outlook.com team.

I don't really care as long as IMAP support works and is there.

I love inbox and I've been using it for a long while now.

On occasion I go to GMail when I need to send a 'better' email. I hope they don't end Gmail before bringing over its features.

Inbox, is just awesome; but just another tool in the shed.

i hardly ever log into gmail anymore.
just use it for amazon confirmations and crap.

only use encrypted offshore email now for the real stuff.

I preferred Inbox over Gmail pretty much immediately. What is it that people hate about it?

First I was confused, then I realised that this is talking about the browser-based access instead of the IMAP-based interface I have been using almost exclusively with GMail for years now :)

Same here, didn't even realize they changed anything. IMAP + Outlook 2010 = My email just always works everywhere.

I tired Inbox for a while - I didn't care for it. I'd be really pissed. I doubt I'd want to give up my email addresses as I've been using them for years.
I'd probably stop using the web interface and use a mail client.

I preferred Inbox over Gmail pretty much immediately. What is it that people hate about it?

The Inbox website is pretty much an unoptimized wasteland of empty space that is barren of features or functionality....that only really works well on monitors smaller than 1080. Try using Inbox website on a 2560x1440 or larger monitor. It is almost all white space filler. subject header lines are constrained to only 1080pixels wide or less, meaning 30% or more of your monitor is empty filler....because of bad website design.

Okay, just looked over inbox. Vaguely reminiscent of Outlook.
And I can't fucking STAND Outlook. It's method of organizing mail is useless and asinine.

If Google eventually tries to force me onto the Inbox interface, I'll definitely be moving on.

I use inbox all the time. I love it and gmail/inbox is my primary mail platform. the grouping feature is especially nice.

I have to say that I actually really like Inbox over gmail. It was weird at first making the switch, but it grew on me. I'm almost never on gmail to check my messages anymore. At least not on mobile.

Huh, didn't even know Inbox (dumb name but someone probably got paid millions for the revolutionary idea) was being tested. Just logged in earlier today on the computer and saw normal GMail.

What is everyone going to migrate to if GMail tries to cram Inbox down our throats? Yahoo is pretty pointless from what I remember. I still have a hotmail account from 20 years ago now. Don't really know of many others out there. Office 365? Dunno if they do single accounts or not.

I tried inbox for a couple of months and finally got rid of it. If they force this, like others I'd be gone. I'd probably still keep the address for spam, etc. but I wouldn't bother checking it. EVER. :D

If the revelation on the indexing and profiling of your email by the worlds largest advertising company didn't get you guys to switch, I doubt some UI/workflow changes will cause any sort of exodus either.

Okay, just looked over inbox. Vaguely reminiscent of Outlook.
And I can't fucking STAND Outlook. It's method of organizing mail is useless and asinine.

If Google eventually tries to force me onto the Inbox interface, I'll definitely be moving on.

chuckle* Someone obviously never learned how to use outlook. :D

I've been using Gmail since Google first offered it.
It plays nice with all the other Google apps is the main reason.
I have advised a lot of people to abandon their AOL,Yahoo, hotmail, msn, email for Gmail mainly so if I need to send them a link for docs, code, etc it won't block it as spam. If Gmail goes away my reasons to be loyal to Google is disappearing. :(

If the revelation on the indexing and profiling of your email by the worlds largest advertising company didn't get you guys to switch, I doubt some UI/workflow changes will cause any sort of exodus either.

Yup.

Back