Steam Beta 1.2.37 Update Available for Fallout 4

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Steam Community forums have word on the new Steam Beta 1.2.37 update for Fallout 4. The post warns that the beta update is a work in progress and you should back up your saved games before opting into the beta.

• General memory and stability improvements
    [*]Performance improvements inside the Corvega Assembly Plant
    [*]Fixed issue with player becoming stuck in terminals

• General memory and stability improvements

Any improvement in this area cannot be overstated. It's one thing to warn your users ahead of time that video cards under $200 today will slide-show. It's another to have man-decades of modder time figure out how to stabilize your previous software on the same game engine and then NOT apply those changes to your next release (literally years later).

I suppose Bethesda doesn't want to do the politically difficult work of spanking Gamebase until they get it right or come clean on how they are hacking the engine in ways the devs do not support.

I don't know about that, there is definitely some improvement. in ~30 hours, I have not seen one crash, except a 'fallout4.exe has stopped working' after I opted into one of the previous betas when I exited the game. And at least we got DX11 and x64, so we can be grateful for that. On the other hand, the FPS->physics bugs warrant a huge Picard face palm but the biggie, the stuck terminals, got fixed so yay?

Any improvement in this area cannot be overstated. It's one thing to warn your users ahead of time that video cards under $200 today will slide-show. It's another to have man-decades of modder time figure out how to stabilize your previous software on the same game engine and then NOT apply those changes to your next release (literally years later).

I suppose Bethesda doesn't want to do the politically difficult work of spanking Gamebase until they get it right or come clean on how they are hacking the engine in ways the devs do not support.

Worked fine on a GTX 770 the few times I played it. Actually fantastically. Paired with an old school 2500k. I consider the 770 antiquated at this point. I guess have the people with entry level GPU's tried lowering the settings?

Worked fine on a GTX 770 the few times I played it. Actually fantastically. Paired with an old school 2500k. I consider the 770 antiquated at this point. I guess have the people with entry level GPU's tried lowering the settings?

Ditto with my 680s which are roughly equivalent to the 770 and an i7-980x at 4Ghz. As long in the tooth as this system is, it's running Windows 10 and a number of the latest and great games much better than I would have thought it would. Of course I'm not breaking any speed settings level records but game are running well at 1080P and a single card, as so many games these days are having issues with SLI, like Batman. I've played a lot more of it than FO4 and it's running great, but again, settings.

Will probably do a new build next year but this setup has been awesome for a good number of years. I've had the motherboard for 6 years now. Got the 980x at release and the 680s at that time too. Did upgrade the SSD last year but the base has been the same for close to four years now.

On the other hand, the FPS->physics bugs warrant a huge Picard face palm but the biggie, the stuck terminals, got fixed so yay?

It's not a bug, the engine is intentionally designed to work like that. Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim all have this same design flaw. It's not unique to Bethesda games either, Need For Speed Rivals has the same problem even though it uses a totally different engine. They think it's acceptable to limit the frame rate to 60fps and unless enough people complain about it you're going to see a lot more games like this. It makes it significantly easier to program.

It's not a bug, the engine is intentionally designed to work like that. Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim all have this same design flaw. It's not unique to Bethesda games either, Need For Speed Rivals has the same problem even though it uses a totally different engine. They think it's acceptable to limit the frame rate to 60fps and unless enough people complain about it you're going to see a lot more games like this. It makes it significantly easier to program.
I'm running the game with iPresentInterval set to 1 and G-Sync enabled at 144 Hz and I am seeing no physics bugs. Swinging melee weapons happen at the same speed when the game is at 144 FPS staring at a wall or at 50 FPS looking over the city. Same with dropping objects. Now that the terminal sticking has been fixed I was playing all night yesterday this way. Glorious!

I think it's colloquially a bug. Getting stuck in terminals at > 60 FPS is certainly not a feature I've ever heard any one request. But yea Bethesda, and others, need to fix this shit. It can't be too hard, FrostByte (and many others I'm sure) run beautifully at high fps, given that, I consider this situation to be the result of inexcusable laziness. I can only pray Elder Scrolls VI is not tarred by this sillyness.

I have to agree and I can even see a valid reason for it from a developer's point of view.

Particularly from a developer who is developing cross-platform titles. Still, 120hz isn't that uncommon so I think it's a mistake for them not to adjust accordingly.

I'm running the game with iPresentInterval set to 1 and G-Sync enabled at 144 Hz and I am seeing no physics bugs. Swinging melee weapons happen at the same speed when the game is at 144 FPS staring at a wall or at 50 FPS looking over the city. Same with dropping objects. Now that the terminal sticking has been fixed I was playing all night yesterday this way. Glorious!

I haven't patched and I have been playing like crazy since release. But I play at 1080p, 60hz.

Back