Why AI Is Heading In The Wrong Direction

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is the way we currently define artificial intelligence influencing the process of creating AI or is it the other way around? What are your thoughts on the direction artificial intelligence is heading?

This process of constantly trying to predict your environment allows you to understand it. Prediction is the essence of intelligence, not behavior. If we can program a computer or neural network to follow the prediction paradigm, it can truly understand its environment. And it is this understanding that will make the machine intelligent.

Err...isn't that what the majority of machine learning is currently attempting? Feed in a large number of variables of the environment to operate in, and have the machine then make predictions?

Aww I thought this was going to be an article about AI in video games, which seems to be getting worse. The last game that had decent bots was Q3.

Aww I thought this was going to be an article about AI in video games, which seems to be getting worse. The last game that had decent bots was Q3.

Nah, Quake 3 had terrible bots compared to the ones in Unreal Tournament. They then copy and pasted the same AI into the next 4 Unreal Tournament games without changing much, but it was impressive when the first one came out.

Nah, Quake 3 had terrible bots compared to the ones in Unreal Tournament. They then copy and pasted the same AI into the next 4 Unreal Tournament games without changing much, but it was impressive when the first one came out.

Yeah I forgot that UT had great bots. Both games were way better than the "run directly towards the player" AI of today.

imo There are 2 branches of AI
One is extreme automation. Which can appear very intelligent but really has no internal direction. Without script it will totally fail.
The other is building a machine that understands its environment. An autonomous being that can go off script and still continue the process.
Alan Turning's work is often taken out of context and this is a great shame.
The ideas behind the Chinese room are represented well in the article.
Alan's work has everything to do with determining Identity between machines and ultimately the people behind them.
Ironically Alan's Identity is something Christians murdered him for.

Back