Human Driver vs. Autonomous Racecar

HardOCP News

[H] News
After watching this video, I couldn't help but wonder how a police chase in the future might play out. Think about that for a second, autonomous cop car versus autonomous getaway car.

After watching this video, I couldn't help but wonder how a police chase in the future might play out. Think about that for a second, autonomous cop car versus autonomous getaway car.

It'll all be about the best algorithms.

The biggest factor is fear, since the machine has no fear it will always be faster.

Zero chance the cops won't have some way for their automated car to disable your automated car.

The cop car would be at a permanent disadvantage in the case of two automated cars. Someone with knowledge of how they're programmed could modify the getaway car to ignore certain aspects of safety and take more chances and run at higher speeds, but a cop car would be held to defined characteristics and public safety guidelines. A cop car could never be modified to break the laws, or the police department would be penalized and several people would probably be fired. The getaway car would always have the advantage, if the criminals were smart enough.

Also, a hacker could easily block any disabling methods the cops might have. They're already doing that to the OnStar modules on GM cars designed to disable stolen cars.

The biggest factor is fear, since the machine has no fear it will always be faster.

No, the biggest factor is skill. That said, people that are scared of shooting guns probably do not pull the best shots on the range.

but a cop car would be held to defined characteristics and public safety guidelines. A cop car could never be modified to break the laws, or the police department would be penalized and several people would probably be fired. The getaway car would always have the advantage, if the criminals were smart enough.

Lol. Like police officers don't routinely break various laws every day. For example, speeding, running red lights, driving all over the road, parking illegally, etc.

I have a feeling that "Robbie" which had run that course many many times and optimized. Might be up for a better challenge, after a human runs that course many many times.

One or two laps from someone on their first time at a course hardly makes a comparison.

An unfair comparison really. The car had probably learned the fastest line and speeds around the track by mapping fast laps done by a human driver. If a human racing driver does 100 laps and you can get the fastest possible speeds from each section from all those laps, then you can create the ultimate fast lap . without the ability to learn from the human, the automated car would rarely be as quick as it just wouldn't have the 'feel' for grip etc that a skilled racing driver would.
Also a real head to head race rather than time trials would be different, and I suspect the human racing driver would always win. The automated vehicle sticks to a set line to get its fast times, force it off that line by diving up the inside on the brakes into a turn an it'll be screwed. For it to overtake the racing driver again would take initiative and forward planning etc. Some overtaking maneuvers are built up to over several laps. Going off the racing line often has less grip too, which the car would not feel as well as the human.
Throw in some rain midway through the race too and its game over.

2 x Audi's

1 being a police car loaded to the hilt with all the Police Gear in the trunk... passenger cage, 2 x police, radios etc etc.

1 being the standard car of identical model

Program them both the same and lets watch what happens

Other than the fact that I don't want a computer in control of my life, my biggest gripe with auto cars is going to be sensors. Things like the tire sensors jump to mind for me as the car program is going to either outright refuse to run or run at an extremely limited speed if those sensors aren't reporting all is well. I mention this because Every Single Winter my tire sensors scream about my tire pressure or some such shit and that warning light stays on all damn winter long. Despite the tires being properly inflated and having very few miles on them. I've had this problem for 5 damn years now and nothing fixes it. You gonna try and tell me a computer is going to ignore that? Please...if you believe that I have some swamp land that will be the next disney to sell you.

An unfair comparison really. The car had probably learned the fastest line and speeds around the track by mapping fast laps done by a human driver. If a human racing driver does 100 laps and you can get the fastest possible speeds from each section from all those laps, then you can create the ultimate fast lap . without the ability to learn from the human, the automated car would rarely be as quick as it just wouldn't have the 'feel' for grip etc that a skilled racing driver would.
Also a real head to head race rather than time trials would be different, and I suspect the human racing driver would always win. The automated vehicle sticks to a set line to get its fast times, force it off that line by diving up the inside on the brakes into a turn an it'll be screwed. For it to overtake the racing driver again would take initiative and forward planning etc. Some overtaking maneuvers are built up to over several laps. Going off the racing line often has less grip too, which the car would not feel as well as the human.
Throw in some rain midway through the race too and its game over.

What exactly do you think our most advanced stability and traction control are up to? Exactly what you say they can't do! And additionally the best systems are configurable to allow the human driver to have some fun.

Autonomous race cars will set the pace no doubt about it.

The cop car would be at a permanent disadvantage...

It'd be really interesting if the cop car was equipped with a couple of high speed drones giving it a bird's eye view of the traffic ahead. The drones could always update the closes cop cars in range too. Then I could see car chases being a thing of the past.

Or have another tiny drone that is magnetic and could attach to the suspect's car.

Makes me thing of that cheesy evil robot movie with Tom Sellic.

BP

bad test, the guy was clearly being paced by the R8 and given instruction on-the-fly. put someone who knows that particular configuration of the track, and is familiar with the characteristics of the car, and let them have at the autonomous car. I'd suspect the human will be significantly closer, if not faster than the autonomous

wtf, they do the video, but they don't actually show the lap at all.

Back