Yahoo Board To Weigh Sale Of Internet Business

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to anonymous sources, Yahoo's board is meeting to discuss whether to move ahead with finding a buyer for its core business, spin off its investment in Alibaba or both. Who has the kind of money to plop down on Yahoo's internet business? The article says that it would most likely be private equity firms.

The company will weigh the decision to sell its core business during a series of meetings from Wednesday to Friday, according to the report, which cites anonymous sources. During those meetings, everything apparently is on the table. The company will discuss whether it will continue with its plan to spin off its stake in the Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, worth more than $30 billion. Or it could sell its own Internet business. Or it could do both.

Pretty sad. I still like the the Yahoo main page as a good internet hub.
You have to think the end has to be near, though.

At this point it is the only move that makes sense. They were too slow to adopt to the ever changing internet landscape. Much like MS they were first to a lot of things, but they could never quite cash in. Flickr for instance would have been an amazing competitor to Imgur or Instagram, but they let it kind of languish.

Yeah, really they should get out of the internet business and focus on their Chocolate Milk drink.

Who is going to buy their internet business? It has negative worth. They'd be better off closing it down than to pay someone to take it off their hands.

Who is going to buy their internet business? It has negative worth. They'd be better off closing it down than to pay someone to take it off their hands.
They'll probably find a buyer for some of their profitable business segments. But the core of Yahoo will end up going the way of Excite, Lycos and other failed web portals that are just barely existing.

Isn't that pretty much their entire business? What's left after selling off the internet bits?

No, the market values it at less than 0, but it's got value. Many look at Yahoo as a search company, but they're really more of a media company at this point and several of their portals are at or near the top pages. Yahoo.com is still the #5 site in the world (#4 in the U.S.)

Yahoo Finance is the top finance site on the internet. MS is just under 10% behind, but Yahoo Finance has 75% more traffic than Google Finance

Yahoo Sports is also number one with 55% more traffic than the #2 site (ESPN).
Someone will buy the business and slowly migrate users to their portal.

I dunno, I've been using yahoo as my main starting page through FF for ages and rather like it, it's fairly simple.
I can check my mail quick, get news, sports, etc fast too.

Yahoo: We're looking at selling our internet business!
Investor: Okay, sounds like it'll pull in money. What'll be left of the company afterward?
Yahoo: Left? Uhhh....

Doesn't their internet business include their email business (which is quite extensive)? If it does then it could be attractive to a number of companies (if priced right). If it doesn't then it might not be as valuable. My Hotmail (now outlook) and Yahoo mail are my two oldest email accounts.

Maybe I should start migrating my Yahoo mail before they're lost in the sale.

Looks like the end is near for my main email address. I don't know why really, but I still like Yahoo webmail more than gmail or hotmail. Except Yahoo's draft folder has been bugged for 2-3 months now. I guess they are losing steam internally.

This. She doesn't know what she's doing.

As opposed to the CEOs that came before her? Come on, yang turned down 45 Billion for a company that was worth half that a year or 2 later. Maybe a new CEO will fix things, but that hasn't worked so far.

Back