Adobe Telling People Not To Use Flash

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am actually surprised that Adobe finally gave in on this one. Sure, it took all the big names in tech to abandon Flash first, but at least the company came to its senses.

After years of critics piling on top of Adobe Flash for its track record as one of the buggiest, crashiest (now a word), least secure, most vulnerable pieces of software ever to hit the web, Adobe itself is siding with its detractors (including Google, Amazon, Facebook and Firefox, etc.), and is letting everyone know they should stop using Flash. No, really.

No way, and silver-light is all but retired. side note: In the same sentence do they recommend java.
HTML5 adoption to the rescue.

No way, and silver-light is all but retired. side note: In the same sentence do they recommend java.

You'd better tell that to the Discovery Channel and Comcast because neither of them seem to have your knowledge of this.

They just announced they're renaming Flash Professional to Animate CC so, it's not like Flash is really going anywhere I suppose. They just can't let it go apparently.

If you read the Adobe statement it doesn't say not to use flash. Somebody twisted the meaning of the blog. Adobe said they have received feedback from people wanting HTML5 content creation tools so they are adding HTML5 into the flash professional CC and renaming it into Animate CC. Nowhere in the article does it say to start using HTML5. If anything it says that HTML5 is still too bad of a standard to be used for gaming or quality video so you need to stay with Flash for those things if you want good quality.

So saying they will support HTML5 content creating and saying for you to move everything to HTML5 are very different things.

Hell hasn't froze over, they haven't came to their senses. Nothing has changed.

Baby steps... Java will go the way of the dodo eventually, too.

Animation to be rendered via Canvas != Do Not Use Flash

strange how people twist things around... and they very specifically say how SWF is still first-class-citizen... sheesh

Animation to be rendered via Canvas != Do Not Use Flash

strange how people twist things around... and they very specifically say how SWF is still first-class-citizen... sheesh

Canvas is worse than Flash. Canvas has the ability to shadow and mine your mouse and keyboard input on any website you visit.

They just announced they're renaming Flash Professional to Animate CC so, it's not like Flash is really going anywhere I suppose. They just can't let it go apparently.

There are many hardware vendors and such that built their management tools on Flash, it's just not so easy to abandon until the tools teams for these hardware vendors catch up.

There are many hardware vendors and such that built their management tools on Flash, it's just not so easy to abandon until the tools teams for these hardware vendors catch up.

yup, I have DC chargers that use flash as their management interface.

I haven't been following Adobe's gradual move away from flash but always thought they could easily make money charging for tools and expertise to transition from flash to html5.

A good amount of what flash was good at has been supplanted by HTML5/CSS3. They're refocusing the Flash toolset on giving an animation toolset for those.

That's the right move. It's needed. Otherwise it's a pain in the ass to try and do key framing in strictly code. This will probably allow you to animate like you would with Flash and it'll output a translated to CSS/Javascript/HTML document.

which makes sense, as it was originally intented to try and replace animated gifs

twitch better hurry up with their html5 player so i can uninstall flash for good.

Yet Flash is built into Windows 10. Good luck trying find a way to gut it - I haven't found one.

For shit's sake.. I thought it was finally over!

For shit's sake.. I thought it was finally over!

Reread it. The toolset of Flash is being repurposed (to drop the "Flash" brand) to be utilized for HTML5/CSS3 which is a widely adopted standard. The toolset is fine, no-one complained about that, the majority of complaints was what the toolset produced (security vulnerabilities, having to constantly patch the plugin, not mobile friendly / audience fragmentation).

Flash and Java both take up way too much of my life. And having to uncheck their add-in wear every time. How is software that is so integrated into Windows allowed to do this?

Yet Flash is built into Windows 10. Good luck trying find a way to gut it - I haven't found one.

Windows 8 included it as well to help get patches out through Windows Update. It's easy enough to disable in a web browser though. But there's still a good deal of content out there that uses it. One day it will go away, that's inevitable. But like 32 bit computing it's not going to disappear without a good deal more time.

Finally, they realize what we all knew 10 years ago.

It's garbage.

Finally, they realize what we all knew 10 years ago.

It's garbage.

Bullshit.. this place pissed all over Apple and Steve Jobs for ditching flash on the iPhone/iPad.

Looks like APPLE knew wtf they were doing all along.

Bullshit.. this place pissed all over Apple and Steve Jobs for ditching flash on the iPhone/iPad.

Looks like APPLE knew wtf they were doing all along.

No, "this place pissed all over Apple and Steve Jobs" because ditching flash had nothing to do with its flaws. Flash games would cut into Apple's walled garden 30% revenue and therefore had not place on their iOS products.

Canvas is worse than Flash. Canvas has the ability to shadow and mine your mouse and keyboard input on any website you visit.

You don't need the canvas element in order to mine ALL input in the page.

What you can do with canvas, however, is recreate the whole web page almost completely and save/send it as a png. I've done it before and it works surprisingly well.

The TOR browser is the only one prompting the user. All other just do it no questions asked. It's beyond silly and one of the major reasons people should really use noscript everywhere they can.

Flash and Java both take up way too much of my life. And having to uncheck their add-in wear every time. How is software that is so integrated into Windows allowed to do this?

Go to the Java control panel, scroll to the bottom in the Advanced tab -- there's a suppress sponsor offers or something checkbox.

twitch better hurry up with their html5 player so i can uninstall flash for good.

livestreamer

It's actually amazing how inefficient the twitch player is.

Back