$18,950 Super Mario Bros. Watch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Mario doesn’t even jump up and down on this thing?

The dial is produced using an interesting three-layer technique meant to create a "pixel" look which I've always found to be really cool in person. Super Mario, along with a mushroom, cloud, and bush, are all three-dimensional pixel-style figurines on the dial and brightly colored in enamel. Of course, I could wish for things like dial animation or other "movement," but even in static form, the dial looks great. All that you have to distract you from the Super Mario scene are the hour and minute hands.

This watch says only three things about a person.

1) You are a gigantic NERD
2) You have too much money and not a shred of sense.
3) You have absolutely shit taste when it comes to style as a result of point 2.

Seriously, this is beyond tacky.

The same company also sells a Tetris and a Space Invaders watch with similar style. I suspect they know the customers who will buy this and won't have issues getting paid for them.

Oh and lest I forget.

Fuck any watch over $400 with a crappy rubber bracelet. Seriously that garbage hipster trend needs to hurry up and die.

So, That watch is actually kind-of awesome, EXCEPT ALL THE MARIO SHIT ON IT.

Seriously, I love games and technology, and Mario.. but that Mario garbage put on that watch just looks out-of-place and lazy. There would be MANY other ways to make a classy, beautiful watch that celebrates many decades of Mario: This watch is not it.

Oh and lest I forget.

Fuck any watch over $400 with a crappy rubber bracelet. Seriously that garbage hipster trend needs to hurry up and die.

Metal = bracelet
Anything else = band

This watch is entirely too expensive, especially with the shit movement it is using, and lack of a second hand.

I don't see anything on this watch that should cost more than $100, they probably have a bill of materials of about $20. There is a sucker born every minute.

Was at Kohls the other day and saw some Star Wars "jewelry". Basically they were stainless steel dog tags, rings and what not with Star Wars characters embossed on them. They wanted $100 for each item. WTF. Stainless steel trinkets for $100?!?

I don't see anything on this watch that should cost more than $100, they probably have a bill of materials of about $20. There is a sucker born every minute.

If it's actually a Swiss-made mechanism like it says, parts and labor were nowhere near $20.

If it's actually a Swiss-made mechanism like it says, parts and labor were nowhere near $20.

Swiss-made is usually just referring to the watch's movement. 90% of movements come from the Swiss, with a few others coming out of Japan. Just like everything else, where it is made doesn't really have much to do with it's quality anymore. The Concepto movement isn't from any of the big watch and movement manufacturers (Swatch, Miyota, Rolex, Omega). They are up-and-coming in the massed produced world (wouldn't be surprised to see one in the QVC Invicta special next month), and perform as such. If you don't mind resetting your watch every other day, then it's the movement for you.

Again, nothing in this watch is even close to the money they are asking for it, except the name attached, and that is arguable.

Proud owner:
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean
Hamilton Ventura Auto
Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 42
Invicta Sea Base SS

I like small parts :D

Again, nothing in this watch is even close to the money they are asking for it, except the name attached, and that is arguable.

I'm not saying the watch is worth anything near its $19,000 asking price, only that expecting it to cost $100 and be made for $20 is just as ridiculous.

I'm not saying the watch is worth anything near its $19,000 asking price, only that expecting it to cost $100 and be made for $20 is just as ridiculous.

Exactly, the movement isn't trash it just isn't amazing. Stick a nice stainless bracelet on this and asking $400-$600 for it isn't unreasonable in the least. Which is why I maintain that anyone who buys this for any reason is just an utter dumbass.

Exactly, the movement isn't trash it just isn't amazing. Stick a nice stainless bracelet on this and asking $400-$600 for it isn't unreasonable in the least. Which is why I maintain that anyone who buys this for any reason is just an utter dumbass.

I would gladly pay $400 for this piece. It's nice, but again, nowhere near boutique levels.

+1 and people typically still notice/compliment a guy's watch if he is wearing one

Indeed. My Hamilton Ventura garners more attention than the others. Some of you may recognize it from MIB movies :) Others may recognize it as the "Elvis watch"

Back