Apple May Replace 3.5mm Headphone Jack With Lightning Connector For iPhone 7

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Apple thinks it’s okay to get rid of a connector standard and make you pay for an adapter just to use your wired headphones.

The report, citing a "reliable source," claims the new same-sized Lightning connector will support Lightning-equipped and Bluetooth headphones, and have a DAC, or digital-to-audio converter, for backwards compatibility with wired headphones using standard 3.5mm stereo jacks. A 3.5mm to Lightning adapter would be required.

Oh, this is going to go well. I bet you need Apple's special chip. Next they'll use their own version of bluetooth called "LightningTooth" because they are just better.
The only advantage would be you can specify your own DAC. I can see audiophiles carrying cigarette size boxes with that has a tube.

The sheep will happily accept this. They'll continue worshiping apple and their "technical advancements."

I can hardly wait to see the advertisements for Apple's "premium" adapter with high-quality DAC.

If they do this, they're scum.

For a company that supposedly likes to make things as simple as possible for users they sure do have a way of over-complicating things.

While I do carry a small portable sized box, I think that flouring everyone to use a portable dac is not acceptable. Apple would be going too far if they really follow suit with this.

Great, so now people will have more of a reason to walk around with their music playing on speaker in public.

not sure why peeps are so against this, been using bluetooth headphones for 2 years now. apart from needing ot charge the things at night its great.

Oh, this is going to go well. I bet you need Apple's special chip. Next they'll use their own version of bluetooth called "LightningTooth" because they are just better.
The only advantage would be you can specify your own DAC. I can see audiophiles carrying cigarette size boxes with that has a tube.

They already do this. I've seen such monstrosities strapped to phones, I swear...

not sure why peeps are so against this, been using bluetooth headphones for 2 years now. apart from needing ot charge the things at night its great.

I prefer headphones that I can use between different devices with no batteries. I have four headphones and they bounce between my phone, PC, and being plugged into game controllers. I don't want to keep that shit all charged and have to worry about batteries

As an Apple sheep, this would piss me off. I listen to music and podcasts in my iPhone about four hours everyday. I don't want a cable adapter in my pocket sticking out of that not terribly robust Lightning connector.

Oh god I hope this happens! Anything that separates Apple fans from their money is a blessing.

Not to mention, taking bets on the reason the fans will justify it is a hillarious activity.

No way they go through with this. This is just stupid.

I could see some truth in it. Apple has a mission against all cables. If you remember back to the first iMac they clamored about how their device had almost no wires coming out of it. Ever since then they have been working towards remove cables from all of their devices. Remember when laptops had network adapters? Those are gone. The Apple tv only outputs audio through HDMI now.

If the audio is getting in the way of another goal, consider it axed. I could see the size of the connector to be a hindrance from them being able to make the phone even thinner. And as far as I can tell that goal has not subsided yet so Apple will continue to engineer themselves into a corner compromising as many things as possible to achieve that goal.

Would not surprise me. I'm amazed they haven't invented a new type of connector that is just ever so slightly different from the old ones so they can sell more overpriced cables.

I could see some truth in it. Apple has a mission against all cables. If you remember back to the first iMac they clamored about how their device had almost no wires coming out of it. Ever since then they have been working towards remove cables from all of their devices. Remember when laptops had network adapters? Those are gone. The Apple tv only outputs audio through HDMI now.

If the audio is getting in the way of another goal, consider it axed. I could see the size of the connector to be a hindrance from them being able to make the phone even thinner. And as far as I can tell that goal has not subsided yet so Apple will continue to engineer themselves into a corner compromising as many things as possible to achieve that goal.

Look at the newer Macbook Air. One port. One. You want to use your mouse and charge the machine? Better be a bluetooth mouse sucker, or we're going to charge you for a dock to go with that $900 bread knife.

Would not surprise me. I'm amazed they haven't invented a new type of connector that is just ever so slightly different from the old ones so they can sell more overpriced cables.

I was going to post something like as well. Honestly they are about due. Either the iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 will probably have a lightning 2 connector on it. 15% thinner and slightly narrower so the old cable won't fit in the slot. If you follow apple at all there is a pretty clear trend that they cannot keep the same cables for long period of time. They changed their power cable on their laptops in a similar fashion. They are on their 3rd adapter in the past 10 years.

If you follow apple at all there is a pretty clear trend that they cannot keep the same cables for long period of time. They changed their power cable on their laptops in a similar fashion. They are on their 3rd adapter in the past 10 years.

Apple mobile devices have used two cables, while other devices have been through at least four (Mini USB, Micro USB, that aborted Micro USB 3.0 double wide connector, and now USB 3.x Type C).

Nintendo dropped the standard headphone jack on the gba, but it was back on the DS...

So, apart from that incredible inconvenience, you're happy? That's nice.

I've tried two different pairs of Bluetooth headphones over the past couple years. They were both great, right up until they ran out of juice and suddenly I can't listen to music/podcasts until I get a charge on...and we're not talking about a phone charge where not only is it relatively fast (very fast with my Nexus 6) but I can continue using the device while it's charging; no, it's always a nice slow charge and the headphones aren't usable until they're detached from the wall.

Also, I can get a pair of earbuds with very good sound for well under $20. Not only is the initial investment low but I don't need to coddle them. If something goes wrong, replacing them isn't cause a lot of worry about money being flushed down the toilet (though if they fail quickly, I'll certainly reconsider that particular model).

No, Bluetooth isn't really the answer and neither is a Lightning solution where, in essence, you need a "smart" component to your headphones. The 1/8" jack is great at what it does and removing it would be the worst.

But of course Apple is ahead of the game and you just know they've got a small 6" Lightning to 3.5mm adapter cable that costs them about $1.79 to actually produce and will retail for probably $29.95 but I'd guess $39.95 more than likely.

I'm gonna mark this post and come back and check it in 2016 when the iPhone 7 arrives, I'm putting good money on me being spot-on with this prediction. :)

I'm already charging 3 devices every night - what's one more?
If you can make through the day on one Bluetooth headphone charge, more power to you. It's still yet another thing to charge (meaning you get to spend yet more money on the device every single day) and if you happen to be listening longer on a particular day and the headphone charge gets spent before you're ready to stop, it's a miserable experience...made more miserable with the knowledge that you could have spent less money for a more reliable product whose only drawback is that it has a wire.

So, apart from that incredible inconvenience, you're happy? That's nice.

I've tried two different pairs of Bluetooth headphones over the past couple years. They were both great, right up until they ran out of juice and suddenly I can't listen to music/podcasts until I get a charge on...and we're not talking about a phone charge where not only is it relatively fast (very fast with my Nexus 6) but I can continue using the device while it's charging; no, it's always a nice slow charge and the headphones aren't usable until they're detached from the wall.

Also, I can get a pair of earbuds with very good sound for well under $20. Not only is the initial investment low but I don't need to coddle them. If something goes wrong, replacing them isn't cause a lot of worry about money being flushed down the toilet (though if they fail quickly, I'll certainly reconsider that particular model).

No, Bluetooth isn't really the answer and neither is a Lightning solution where, in essence, you need a "smart" component to your headphones. The 1/8" jack is great at what it does and removing it would be the worst.

Odd the two I've used have been usable while charging. Don't get me wrong, this is a bad idea if true.

Odd the two I've used have been usable while charging. Don't get me wrong, this is a bad idea if true.
There's usable and then there's usable. One of the sets I had couldn't be used at all while charging. The other could but I was tethered to a wall which is a lot more inconvenient than being tethered to my phone. And at that point, you're no longer wireless anyway, so where's the advantage over headphones plugged into the phone with a wire?

Horrible idea. I had an HTC phone a long time ago that opted to merge the plugs into a special USB. Terrible experience having to carry an adapter, it added to the bulk. Put it in awkward location.

This is a design mistake.

If you can make through the day on one Bluetooth headphone charge, more power to you. It's still yet another thing to charge (meaning you get to spend yet more money on the device every single day) and if you happen to be listening longer on a particular day and the headphone charge gets spent before you're ready to stop, it's a miserable experience...made more miserable with the knowledge that you could have spent less money for a more reliable product whose only drawback is that it has a wire.

Exactly. I see it as nothing more than another device to keep charged throughout the day, and in the end I still have a cable tethered to something to charge it, so I've literally gained nothing while paying more for a device(headphones) that are unnecessarily heavier(batteries and additional electronics).

That is of course on top of using BT draining the battery in my phone quicker than if I weren't in the first place, so now I get to charge that more often as well or lug around a battery pack and more cables to keep everything charged on the go. Of course I could just buy a phone case that has an extra battery built in, but now I've just made the phone bulkier... negating the point of having a smaller phone in the first place while still having to buy an extra device.

If this happens it will be the final straw for me. I will go Android where I can add a micro sd card

OnePlus Two is looking better every day... this happens and my iPhone is getting traded in for an android next year.

I kind of doubt this one since it's also used for charging. They'd have to have some sort of charging pass through and I don't really see that as something apple would find acceptable.

Oh god I hope this happens! Anything that separates Apple fans from their money is a blessing.

I do too. I am an Apple shareholder. Anything that separates Apple fans from their money is a blessing for my pocket book.

What are those top end models? Please list at least 5 since you said lot of.

I can only find 3:

Nexus 6P
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Samsung Galaxy S6 (sort of)

Figured it was more considering the amount of anger that floats around the internet about it.

Look at the newer Macbook Air. One port. One. You want to use your mouse and charge the machine? Better be a bluetooth mouse sucker, or we're going to charge you for a dock to go with that $900 bread knife.

Pretty sure that's the MacBook (regular) and if you took more than 30 seconds off from jerking off it has a headphone jack.

"and have a DAC, or digital-to-audio converter" Last I looked DAC stood for digital to ANALOG converter. Oh well.
Creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist is a great way to make money I admit.

Pretty sure that's the MacBook (regular) and if you took more than 30 seconds off from jerking off it has a headphone jack.

My point wasn't the headphone thing (which I realize may be a bit confusing given the topic of the thread) but more confirmation of the general "war on ports" policy Apple has maintained in recent years. The fact that it's the Macbook and not the Air just furthers my point. Sorry, I don't exactly keep up on Macs, since I couldn't give two shits about them.

Back