VTech Hack Exposes Data On Hundreds Of Thousands Of Kids

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In what may be the “fourth largest consumer data breach to date,” the toys and gadgets company had its database accessed via SQL injection, which includes the identities of many children.

The hacked data includes names, email addresses, passwords, and home addresses of 4,833,678 parents who have bought products sold by VTech, which has almost $2 billion in revenue. The dump also includes the first names, genders and birthdays of more than 200,000 kids. What’s worse, it’s possible to link the children to their parents, exposing the kids’ full identities and where they live, according to an expert who reviewed the breach for Motherboard.

My reply got cut off - here's hoping that the hacker sticks to his plan of only giving the data to Motherboard and doesn't try to sell it.

“Why do you need know my address, why do you need to know all this information just so I can download a couple of free books for my kid on this silly pad thing? Why did they have all this information?”

The real question is, why would you give it to them in the first place? I never give my real information or my kid's on sites like that.

typical, this "VTech" outfit seems to be circling the wagons and burying their head in the sand

fortunately the attacker appears to be white hat

We had a few VTech toys, signed my kid up for it and used a fake email for it.

I'm sure my wife followed up and put every ounce of real information she could after I signed him up, but that's out of my hands.

Back