Amazon Pulling Ads Suggesting Nazis From NYC Subways

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Wait, you mean people weren’t comfortable with sitting on the flags of Nazi America and Imperial Japan?

…New York City Mayor Bill deBlasio called the ads “irresponsible and offensive” in remarks provided to the New York Daily News. The Anti-Defamation League told the New York blog Gothamist that the ads appeared out of context; straphangers would not immediately recognize they were meant to re-create the atmosphere of the Amazon program, not put symbols once ascribed to Nazi Germany in front of riders’ eyes.

o gosh! I didn't realize that they pulled this ad off in the subway!
I mean I really enjoyed the 1st season as being sci-fi lover, but the ad is... just wow..

People get too butthurt too quickly. Native Americans find it offensive to celebrate Thanksgiving and Columbus day but nobody gives two shits about that right? lol

Oh fucking please, lets not start adopting the pansy mentality of many European countries where any images as such are banned. You can't just forget history.

Absolutely love how the mayor called the ads "irresponsible" yet I'm sure the NYC transit department was more than happy to take the money from them, and being as their the ones who OK and install all the ads they seemed to be ok with it.

Big fan of TMITHC and Amazon. But this campaign was pretty bone-headed from the get-go.

I worked on the pilot in Seattle. It was super funny watching people see massive pictures of hitler and swastikas. A lot of them would take pictures next to him haha. Then we up a boarder crossing in the country with swastikas all over and people were driving by honking and giving thumbs up.. Haha

The Japanese stuff wasn't that bad, but when we were in china town, it seemed like some of the old timer Chinese guys weren't too happy about it.

On the one hand people who get offended by this stuff are morons. On the other whoever it was at the ad agency that decided to wrap entire subway seats with imagery of "Nazi America" is also a complete idiot. It's not like WWII happened a thousand years ago. There are still people around who remember it.

Oh fucking please, lets not start adopting the pansy mentality of many European countries where any images as such are banned. You can't just forget history.

Absolutely love how the mayor called the ads "irresponsible" yet I'm sure the NYC transit department was more than happy to take the money from them, and being as their the ones who OK and install all the ads they seemed to be ok with it.

I don't t where you get you info about the pansy mentality of many European countries.
but northen europe wouldn't give a shit about this ad. They have posters with naked females just barely covered with a safety ring in full human size on the bus stations. The n-word amd F words get dropped at sat. 11am shows. There is no censorship on radioes or TV like here in the Texas. Standup comedy is a lot more raw than the american stand-up. you can make fun if everything in a comedy show: people with glasses gay/lesbain, race, god and pedophelia as long as its a joke and not targeting a person directly.

well off cause there is always germany. where banks stoped handign out free piggy banks because muslims got offended that they where handed a "dirty" animal.
Apperantly saying just no thank you does not surfice.

This is a tempest in a teapot.

You can't tell me it is "too soon" for Nazi/faschist imagery to advertise fictional shows. It's been 70 years.

I'll agree that the ad was a little tacky, but that's about it.

If you are offended by it, then you are ridiculously thin skinned to the point of deserving some serious ridicule.

Land of the Brave my ass... Land of the Butthurt is more like it. If I ever have a kid, I'm going to wash his hair with extra-tears shampoo so that he doesn't grow up to be a giant easily offended pussy.

I look forward to the final evolution of this wave of offended people: All words and pictures are offensive.

I was just on freelancer leaving some info on a job, and it went like this:
Me: "I told my partner I wasn't going to babysit freelancer, so I'm out, but if there's a technical issue I'll come back in"
Millenial: "Hey, there's no need to use offensive words blah blah blah"
Me: "lolwut, where do you see offensive words?"
Millenial: "Nevermind"
Me: "Indeed."

I came pretty close to using some offensive words. Fucking pussy.

Land of the Brave my ass... Land of the Butthurt is more like it. If I ever have a kid, I'm going to wash his hair with extra-tears shampoo so that he doesn't grow up to be a giant easily offended pussy.

There's still hope for humanity :D

Wait what? I thought you used to say that you had a son and called him "muscles" or "broski" or something like that when you were complaining about Grumpy Cat's actual name.

Love the show...but yeah...that was retarded as hell to do and I would fire whoever came up with it.

Wait what? I thought you used to say that you had a son and called him "muscles" or "broski" or something like that when you were complaining about Grumpy Cat's actual name.

Yup, I'm quoting myself, but I totally found where Ducky implied children.

From: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041203270&postcount=42

Sorry, but I love my munchkins, and they are referred to as sweety, baby, beautiful, fluffy, honey, and for the boy big-boy, lion, muscles, and what not when not by name. I couldn't picture myself calling him "retard, buttlicker, assbreath" etc and selling him for the public's entertainment and pretending he's part of the family.

Which was in the context of this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1839490&pp=20&page=3

Sooo, are you saying you weren't being completely honest with us back then or that you're not being completely honest with us now? It seems like you're bending your real life situation to like fit whatever narrative works best in the context you need it to fit in order to justify outrage at something and be included in the conversation. Weird.

Yup, I'm quoting myself, but I totally found where Ducky implied children.

From: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041203270&postcount=42

Which was in the context of this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1839490&pp=20&page=3

Sooo, are you saying you weren't being completely honest with us back then or that you're not being completely honest with us now? It seems like you're bending your real life situation to like fit whatever narrative works best in the context you need it to fit in order to justify outrage at something and be included in the conversation. Weird.

I think he was talking about his cats? That's the context I picked up.

I don't know, I kind of feel that the flag is an accurate representation of America and both it's internal and foreign policies.

Ya'll are insane if you think this was ok. It's the symbolism behind the images that makes it terrible. That eagle design and the Nazi swastika stand for genocide, ignorance, and megalomania. All things that are supposed to be the opposite of our country and every other country that tries to follow freedom. If you're ok with this ad campaign, then you must be ok and not see the point in being offended with ANY kind of symbol defacement. I'd agree that the whole PC movement is ridiculous and the constant offense people take in almost everything is ridiculous, but this crosses the line. I can only imagine that this got put up because 1) Upper management was too busy trying to wipe the dollar signs out of their eyes to see how bad of a judgement call this was, 2) mid-level management was too busy with their heads up the upper management's asses to oppose them, and 3) the actual laborers who put these graphics up can't be bothered to give any fucks.

I think he was talking about his cats? That's the context I picked up.

Munchkins are like kids though. It'd be weeeeeeird to call your cats munchkins because that'd be kind of mean to the felines of the world to imply they're similar.

Ya'll are insane if you think this was ok. It's the symbolism behind the images that makes it terrible. That eagle design and the Nazi swastika...

Amazon replaced the Swastika with the Iron Cross in that Eagle. The Iron Cross is still in use by Germany's armed forces today. Again, whomever thought that people wouldn't notice should've been smacked upside the head.

I don't know, I kind of feel that the flag is an accurate representation of America and both it's internal and foreign policies.

You're right, we have death camps all over the world in countries that we've conquered designed to eradicate a given demographic of the population based on their religious affiliation and conduct cruel and unusual experiments on them for science regardless of ethical boundaries.:rolleyes:

I assume your trying to draw comparisons between Nazi Germany's conduct during the 1930s-1940s and the scandals that we've been involved in during our conflicts in Iraq/Afgahnistan, particularly incidents like Abu Ghraib. Abu Ghraib was a detention facility with no ulterior motives as being a death camp or illegial human research. It was a detention facility staffed by military personnel who had become disillusioned with the conflicts and angry with the life losses America has suffered. Outside of Abu Ghraib, pretty much every other incident where American military personnel have done something atrocious, it's been because of that same disillusionment, NOT government designed/mandated policies of genocide or inhumane treatment.

Ya'll are insane if you think this was ok. It's the symbolism behind the images that makes it terrible. That eagle design and the Nazi swastika stand for genocide, ignorance, and megalomania. All things that are supposed to be the opposite of our country and every other country that tries to follow freedom. If you're ok with this ad campaign, then you must be ok and not see the point in being offended with ANY kind of symbol defacement. I'd agree that the whole PC movement is ridiculous and the constant offense people take in almost everything is ridiculous, but this crosses the line. I can only imagine that this got put up because 1) Upper management was too busy trying to wipe the dollar signs out of their eyes to see how bad of a judgement call this was, 2) mid-level management was too busy with their heads up the upper management's asses to oppose them, and 3) the actual laborers who put these graphics up can't be bothered to give any fucks.

Key word, "Supposed".

You're right, we have death camps all over the world in countries that we've conquered designed to eradicate a given demographic of the population based on their religious affiliation and conduct cruel and unusual experiments on them for science regardless of ethical boundaries.:rolleyes:

I assume your trying to draw comparisons between Nazi Germany's conduct during the 1930s-1940s and the scandals that we've been involved in during our conflicts in Iraq/Afgahnistan, particularly incidents like Abu Ghraib. Abu Ghraib was a detention facility with no ulterior motives as being a death camp or illegial human research. It was a detention facility staffed by military personnel who had become disillusioned with the conflicts and angry with the life losses America has suffered. Outside of Abu Ghraib, pretty much every other incident where American military personnel have done something atrocious, it's been because of that same disillusionment, NOT government designed/mandated policies of genocide or inhumane treatment.

Google up the civilian eath count resulting from all four of our recent conflicts.

News flash, we are only slightly better. We just have a better PR campaign, and we tend to hand our kids star spangled glasses at a very early age.

Amazon replaced the Swastika with the Iron Cross in that Eagle. The Iron Cross is still in use by Germany's armed forces today. Again, whomever thought that people wouldn't notice should've been smacked upside the head.

I think that's too subtle of a change in a design for the general population to know. I'm military and familiar with military life but I wouldn't have immediately though, "Nope, it's got nothing to do with Nazi Germany because it's got the Iron Cross instead of the Swastika." I would probably notice that it's not 'historically accurate' but it's the overall design that has been engrained in people. I've seen people draw/tattoo the Marine Corps' Eagle, Globe, and Anchor with an eagle sitting on the globe in a similar style to the Nazi eagle and it just looks wrong because of that engrained idea of what that symbol stood for.

Google up the civilian eath count resulting from all four of our recent conflicts.

News flash, we are only slightly better. We just have a better PR campaign, and we tend to hand our kids star spangled glasses at a very early age.

Germans are still being evil to this day through capitalism and stuff. Just look at the atrocities they're doing through that one car company. False advertising, cheating through software and stuff, and lying to customers. Sure not all Germans are evil at all, but it's pretty clear that wouldn't have happened if they didn't have to focus on profits and weren't greedy. That's some pretty terrible stuff that you're ignoring in order to complain about the US instead of just moving away to someplace else that works the way you like.

The death toll of WWII, specifically related to Nazi activities and the death toll of the Allied nations fighting Nazi Germany is nowhere near the death toll of our conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. We haven't even approached Vietnam level casualties where thousands would die over a lump in the ground. If that were the case, there'd be a draft and we'd see military personnel every week driving to someone's parents to break the news.

I don't see a problem with it, myself. However, I KNOW that many, many other people would have a huge problem with it. I wouldn't have thought it'd be a good idea to go with. Someone in PR needs to be demoted. Stupid mistake, and shouldn't have happened.

I would have saw it as nothing more than a media thing, rather than anything truly symbolic. I am smart enough to know that most other people wouldn't see it that way. PR is supposed to be able to predict the reactions of people. If you told me about this, I'd predict that some people would go ape shit over it and it wouldn't be a good idea. I'm not in PR. It's just an obvious prediction.

However - even though it's a negative PR stunt, it's bringing a LOT of attention to the show, which is very good.

I hope the people who got offended over this kill each other with hammers.

I hope the people who got offended over this kill each other with hammers.

And hoping this makes you a better person than they are?

Most people that wish massive amounts of death on random people don't really think it through. Those people you think should all die do things like your taxes, electric companies, garbage services, fire departments etc etc. You know, things you depend on that could suddenly stop if this happened. Plus there are probably plenty of people that wish you would die by a hammer to the face. Please try to not make the online community look like a bunch of hateful assholes that think they are better than everyone else. :)

"They were/are worse than us, so we are good", most effective justification for all of history's worst crimes.

I wasn't sure what propaganda website you were wanting me to look for so I just did a Google search and Wikipedia was the foremost link in all three searches. Both Iraq and Afgahnistan, while difficult to track typically cite in the hundreds of thousands or low millions. WWII in relation to German activities on the other hand, are cited in the tens of millions with an upper limit of 60 million.

60 million vs 2 million.....REEAAALLLYYY close :rolleyes:

"They were/are worse than us, so we are good", most effective justification for all of history's worst crimes.

That's all of history's wars, differences in opinion on how groups of humans should live. Everyone, or at least the generally accepted idea of a rational person, agrees on what violence is and that it's generally wrong. That doesn't stop us from being violent, we only ensure that we have a, in our opinion, just cause for acting violent.

While I agree that the civilian death toll of the Bush era wars is horrifying, here is a huge difference you are overlooking.

U.S. forces set out to MINIMIZE civilian casualties, and will bend over backwards to do their best to avoid hitting unintended targets. Accidents happen in any conflict, but the intent is hugely important. We never set out to kill innocent people.

You say the numbers are huge, and that is true, but the numbers of civilians actually killed by U.S. forces is a relatively small portion of the total. Most of those killed were killed in the sectarian battle between insurgent groups.

Do we as a nation bear some part of the blame for this? Certainly. It was the naïveté of our leadership thinking they could just march in, overthrow a government and live happily ever after that resulted in no planning for the period after the military defeat of Saddam Hussein's forces, and created a condition where these atrocities could happen.

That will be a stain on the reputation of the U.S. forever.

It does NOT - however - come even close to putting us at the moral equivalence of Nazi Germany, the Khmer Rouge, Stalinist Russia, or Mao's China, or Imperialist Japan. Not even close. If you are so blinded by your ideology that you can not make that distinction then all hope for you as a rational human being is lost.

Also, let's go back to the numbers for a moment.

The highest estimate of the death toll in Iraq comes from the ORB study. It includes casualties from all sources, military, civilian, insurgency, and puts that figure at just north of one million.

Now this is a horrifying amount of people, but firstly, this is the highest of many studies, ranging from some 150,000 deaths to this one at ~1.1M deaths, so to say it is contentious and challenged would be a huge understatement.

Now let's compare it to WWII, like you are trying to do, and again look at the combined death toll from all sources, military and civilian, and that figure is between 70 and 85 million people.

So to sum it up, your numbers are wrong (WAY wrong) AND your moral equivalence is wrong (WAY wrong). The U.S. definitely deserves some criticism for the Iraq War (and to a lesser extent the war in Afghanistan) but to put it mildly the comparison you are trying to make is absolutely absurd. I mean, really, what ARE you smoking? :rolleyes:

60 million vs 2 million.....REEAAALLLYYY close :rolleyes:

If you round each number to the nearest billion, then they're both the same. Then again, since they turn out to be 0 under that rounding, I dunno if that fits the thing-y Mister Lith1um was trying to say.

85million would completely empty out florida, texas, and california. kinda creepy in that perspective.

If you round each number to the nearest billion, then they're both the same. Then again, since they turn out to be 0 under that rounding, I dunno if that fits the thing-y Mister Lith1um was trying to say.

Sometimes, CUG...just sometimes...you bring a smile to my face with your comments, lol.

Back