Windows 10 November Update Pulled Due To Privacy Setting Bug

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bug, eh? I’ll take Microsoft’s word for it. But I hear that there is still that little issue of random programs being uninstalled for no reason, though…

Microsoft told WinBeta the update was pulled due to issues with privacy concerns. More specifically, upon installing the update, Windows would not remember the users had set privacy settings, meaning Windows would simply default them. While not a huge bug, it did raise a few privacy concerns amongst those upgrading.

Here, let me start: Privacy setting "bug", yeah, right. :D :p:rolleyes: Well, at least they are acknowledging that there are issues and they are being fixed. However, on the insider builds, these things were then and maybe they did not remove them when they where going to?

I had a problem with one test machine that could no longer see the AD network servers after the Nov update was in stalled, regardless of which server version (2003, 2008, 2012) they were running. Uninstalled the update, and it could see network servers again, but it then totally borked program settings (installed updated no longer showed any updates installed???) and a few other stuff (Control Panel itself went wonky too). Did a system restore to just before update, and all was well again on that system. A different system took the update just fine and still works great. Definitely quality issues in last update they missed.

I had to do an in-place upgrade from the ISO to get it installed on my laptop (had all of the telemetry blocked, so I can't get insider builds). And then I had to re-block all of the telemetry shit after the install. So I can confirm that it didn't remember any of the settings.

Somehow the update uninstalled CPU-Z on my machine, not something I'll lose sleep over but strange nonetheless

Somehow the update uninstalled CPU-Z on my machine, not something I'll lose sleep over but strange nonetheless

Think that was universal, did the same with me but it generate a notification after the install that it did so.

I bet the bug was letting users notice this action so easily not the actual settings change.

Think that was universal, did the same with me but it generate a notification after the install that it did so.

It did that to me too, I promptly reinstalled it and it still works. Why Microsoft thinks it doesn't work is beyond me.

several versions of CPU-Z, Speccy and a few others was known to cause PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA errors in 10 when started, even if you had a somewhat recent version that claimed it supported 10. They probably did it to force people to update to fixed versions than deal with the people claiming that the update broke their machine.

That was a bug?

So was resetting all of my defaults to MS programs also a bug?

I'm guessing they're likely related if it's not applying the settings post-update.

That was a bug?

I'm guessing they're likely related if it's not applying the settings post-update.

Also, I noticed a lot of things were reverted. Such as power options. Setting things to not wake my PC were reset to default. Driver settings were reset to default.

Figured it was just the way they were doing their updates (almost like a fresh install sans the format and with auto-reinstall of programs in the Installed Programs list).

That was a bug?

Funny how every "oops" backpedal MS has done since 10 came out - like when they fessed some PC's were auto-installing 10 that never asked for it - it always falls in Microsoft's favor, never the user's.

Here, let me start: Privacy setting "bug", yeah, right. :D :p:rolleyes: Well, at least they are acknowledging that there are issues and they are being fixed. However, on the insider builds, these things were then and maybe they did not remove them when they where going to?

Suckers on Insider Builds wouldn't have noticed this "bug" reverting all their privacy settings and default apps, because they have no privacy settings - it's full keylogging and forced Full Telemetry, greyed out and no way to change it.

Suckers on Insider Builds wouldn't have noticed this "bug" reverting all their privacy settings and default apps, because they have no privacy settings - it's full keylogging and forced Full Telemetry, greyed out and no way to change it.

The telemetry can't be changed in insider builds but there are another two dozen privacy settings that can be.

try a free program called spybot anti beacon. kills all things due to privacy issues and reporting to microsoft. no issues so far with it(windows) changing my settings back even after hefty updates. have not noticed any software being uninstalled on my pc personally.

Microsoft has another "accident". No accidents here because I will never install Win10.

Also, I noticed a lot of things were reverted. Such as power options. Setting things to not wake my PC were reset to default. Driver settings were reset to default.

Figured it was just the way they were doing their updates (almost like a fresh install sans the format and with auto-reinstall of programs in the Installed Programs list).

The feature updates are full fledged OS upgrades, they are not patches. You even get a windows.old backup/folder just like an upgrade.

As a matter of fact this one contains the FULL OS bits, 3GB. The oobe is very similar to a new install/upgrade as well.

At MMS in Mn engineers mentioned this is very much a work in progress and that the plan in the future is to reduce the size and impact to a more seemless experience.

You would think something as major would have been tested a bit more but this is a pretty big change to how they are doing things.

Bumps as it were are to be expected and in the grand scheme of things; resetting some settings is fairly minor imo. Uninstalling apps is a bigger concern though if there are compatibility issues that would be good to know of BEFORE proceeding and have a user friendly report/reason afterwords.

We are just starting our Win10 project planning. Right now trying to determined how to manage the servicing and update model is sort of the big question. Things like this do not help sway us to use the "MS Recommended" CurrentBranch for non-"non-critical" systems (ask your users what systems are non-critical lol). Edge also being VERY rough is not helping either (I mean come on you couldn't get it to use the favorites library or share with IE?).

We wanted to be more progressive and push for currentbranch and adopting edge but with "upgrades" occurring every 4 months this could be too much for us (our user base) to accept. There is also a big question about how much the OS will change in these. Will it be like XP SP2, where at worst you have maybe one new customer facing change (back then it was that annoying security shield thingy). Or could these upgrades completely re-form the start menu etc. I hope the former... Then again our environment the users freak out at everything... The lync update that renamed the app to skype threw us for a loop and freaked our customers out and that was a normal update lol.

DanDirk, do you or are you intending to use SCCM or MDT to perform the upgrade for feature updates? Do you use MDT to generate your reference images?

One of the recommendations that I suggest for admins looking to make the feature update process easier in professional environments is to automate the image creation process with MDT. If you use a task sequence to deploy to a virtual machine, make the tweaks you need, update the OS, install applications (if you absolutely need to), and then Sysprep and capture, you can swap out the WIM for the latest feature updates and generate a new reference image just as easily as updating your reference image for the latest Windows Updates.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
Windows for IT Pros at TechNet

Back