AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Is A Letdown On Linux

HardOCP News

[H] News
The alternative OS gurus over at Phoronix put AMD's Radeon Software Crimson Edition to the test and came away disappointed.

While leaked slides indicate AMD was planning better gaming on Linux for Crimson, in the end they really didn't deliver. Even for their mentioned games, when testing various Linux OpenGL games on three different systems the performance was largely unchanged.

ATI/AMD + linux has led to disappointment for over a decade. Why should that change now?

They do now have a dedicated staff for Linux development, nothing changes instantly, they are really doing all the can to stay alive and relevant past decade or so,yes fault on their own sometimes often it has been backstabbing competition that has REALLY hurt them, hard to ensure small fractions (linux outside of servers has not been massive vs Windows/MacOS really) get the proper development when all you earn is pushed to other departments that have a higher chance of return.

I think they do well seeing where market is going, it just takes them a somewhat longer to give the proper direct approach to products/software to support it is all.

And this is where I'm going to say... I couldn't care less.

I will never look at Linux as a gaming platform until everything is compatible and as mature as Windows.

Spoiler: it more then likely won't happen.

lgVruFf.jpg

My reaction.

With all of the 8 million or so distros / kernels out there, i woudn't be caring a whole lot either too if i I was AMD.

All of you *Nix neckbeards out there be offended. All 100 of you. Pretend more that you even use AMD cards.

Ha.

Fairly sure they're waiting on a new kernel with a bunch of patches to use their new driver. They had a 15.31 branch tagged a month ago and the current crimson release even for windows, is only 15.30. Still haven't seen Vulkan which was rumored to have a November release.

I'm gonna echo Dayaks' sentiments here:

Ok but as pointed out by Sycraft Steam reports a low number as well. That's great Linux might take off but that isn't the reality right now (for desktops) companies use to justify spending money on.

I never said anything about Windows being better. I only compared it to an OS obsoleted a few revs ago. The same goes for OSX. I was only pointing out it's crazy to complain about a hardware manufacturer not throwing resources at a tiny % of the market. I don't know how people call the Steam % off. If you have logic to back up why it's wrong I'll admit I am wrong.

AMD gets enough bad rep without people acting like they are ignoring some important market segment.

With all of the 8 million or so distros / kernels out there, i woudn't be caring a whole lot either too if i I was AMD.

All of you *Nix neckbeards out there be offended. All 100 of you. Pretend more that you even use AMD cards.

Ha.

This really shows how little you actually know about how Linux works, and how prevalent it is in YOUR life right now.

This really shows how little you actually know about how Linux works, and how prevalent it is in YOUR life right now.

From what I know, Linux distros are primarily used in enterprise networking as various one-purpose ESXI clients. I don't think gaming is a high priority segment for linux, which is not a high-priority segment of PC usage.

The problem is that AMD loses out on the big-ticket markets like the rendering farms and HPC clusters, etc. since their drivers are such a joke.

It's not like nvidia makes good Linux drivers to take care of the 1% of Steam customers out there, that's just sort of a fall-over affect. They see money in many areas and they go get it.

AMD is like the five-year old on the sideline watching everyone else collect all the Easter eggs while they hold their empty basket.

Not even gonna.

Let me remind you of this thread's stated topic:
AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Is A Letdown On Linux

Last edited:
I'm gonna echo Dayaks' sentiments here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayaks View Post
Ok but as pointed out by Sycraft Steam reports a low number as well. That's great Linux might take off but that isn't the reality right now (for desktops) companies use to justify spending money on.

I never said anything about Windows being better. I only compared it to an OS obsoleted a few revs ago. The same goes for OSX. I was only pointing out it's crazy to complain about a hardware manufacturer not throwing resources at a tiny % of the market. I don't know how people call the Steam % off. If you have logic to back up why it's wrong I'll admit I am wrong.

AMD gets enough bad rep without people acting like they are ignoring some important market segment.

The problem is that AMD loses out on the big-ticket markets like the rendering farms and HPC clusters, etc. since their drivers are such a joke.

It's not like nvidia makes good Linux drivers to take care of the 1% of Steam customers out there, that's just sort of a fall-over affect. They see money in many areas and they go get it.

AMD is like the five-year old on the sideline watching everyone else collect all the Easter eggs while they hold their empty basket.

yep on both sides except for the easter eggs :p. For the size AMD currently is, they have to put their money where it can do the most good, it is only recently that they have pushed full force on Linux development really, and there is nothing saying they do not have custom sets for special clients, but I suppose the day linux is a viable mass market platform is long off.

Certain custom versions of it (pre-coded like windows is) such as SteamOS or the ones used in consoles, I just do not think AMD or any other mass maker sheds a solid chunk of the funding (quite limited available in AMD case and they do a TON of developing considering they are remotely in the same playing field these days) it really does not matter to many as expecting a tapped out company to support such a small set (at this time) just does not make sense, it is more an open source or pet project really no different then say new drivers for 3dFX gpu, while neat, money and time is better spent elsewhere no?

I am sure when it gains traction they will port more of their energy there, and they have done so quite a bit in the last decade or so, not fan boy support, but major pushes given their strapped for resources/funding state as it is.

Interesting, never thought of it that way, thanks for the input.

God, there's a lot of misguided fud in this thread from Windows fanboys.

Gaming titles under Linux have been growing steadily since it's adoption by Valve and subsequent support on Steam and I see no reason whatsoever why it's going to slow any time soon. As a moderate term Linux user I've never seen such increased support for gaming under Linux.

Especially considering I can make a more capable gaming rig under Linux than I can under OSX. It's odd people never seem to bat an eyelid at a hardware/software platform that overheats easily due to form over function and is heinously underpowered in the GPU department, especially considering retina displays, as a gaming platform. But are more than capable of bagging Linux as a gaming platform when the Linux platform suffers from none of these shortfallings (provided you stick with Nvidia at this stage), and strangely enough both operating systems are forks of Unix!

Doesn't really bother me as I've always used Nvidia hardware anyway. But seriously, some of you need to do a little research before posting, possibly even have a go at using a modern distro so you know what you're ranting about before posting!

For what it's worth, I've also got a very capable Windows rig that I only use for gaming, it's like a glorified 4k Xbox. And it's doesn't surprise me one iota that AMD intend to stubbornly stay stuck in the past.

Yawn....Wow that sounds awful. An OS that is not really meant for gaming or 3d graphics is performing poorly in terms of graphics performance! Who would guess such a small market share OS would get ignored so much!

Yawn....Wow that sounds awful. An OS that is not really meant for gaming or 3d graphics is performing poorly in terms of graphics performance! Who would guess such a small market share OS would get ignored so much!

Well that OS not designed for gaming or 3D graphics (a blatantly incorrect assumption by an obvious Windows user) seems to be performing fine under Nvidia hardware.

From what I know, Linux distros are primarily used in enterprise networking as various one-purpose ESXI clients. I don't think gaming is a high priority segment for linux, which is not a high-priority segment of PC usage.

on my desktop i use Win7
on my media pc i use Win7
on my owncloud server i use opensuse 13.2
on my laptop i use opensuse 13.2

Gaming desktop: Windows 10 Pro.
Media PC: Windows 7 (should be running Linux).
Laptop: Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon.
Main Desktop: Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 2.8.4

Well that OS not designed for gaming or 3D graphics (a blatantly incorrect assumption by an obvious Windows user) seems to be performing fine under Nvidia hardware.

Play some BF4 with me then.

Why would you want to game on linux is more of a question?

Why would you run a virus, malware, spyware ridden, not to mention limiting OS like Windows on your daily machine is a better question IMO.

If I could piss this Windows box I use for BF4 off and solely run Linux I would.

It's just an operating system, why not game on it?

because 99.5% of people do, it is unrealistic to expect love for a 0.5% market share OS from a 15% market share company?

Windows accounted for 14% of devices last year with Linux based platforms accounting for roughly half. Then you have XB1 and DX12 struggling to get half as many sales as PS4. It only goes downhill from there if Nintendo releases an Android/Linux based console. By your logic AMD and Nvidia should abandon Windows entirely.

That also says nothing about high margin niche markets for servers, high performance computing, and scientific applications. The only question is whether or not there is money to be made.

Windows accounted for 14% of devices last year with Linux based platforms accounting for roughly half. Then you have XB1 and DX12 struggling to get half as many sales as PS4. It only goes downhill from there if Nintendo releases an Android/Linux based console. By your logic AMD and Nvidia should abandon Windows entirely.

That also says nothing about high margin niche markets for servers, high performance computing, and scientific applications. The only question is whether or not there is money to be made.

lol. you are including portable devices like android for linux marketshare.

I think AMD FUCKING SUCKS because there are no drivers for my galaxy s5, i really wanted to put a 295x2 in there. what a shit company lol.

PC = Windows, people would rather game on a mac than linux. Linux is a microscopic niche for gaming, and a company like AMD has no incentive wasting their limited resources on something that useless and unprofitable. Maybe when steam machines get popular one day, this will be somewhere they can make money.

Why would you run a virus, malware, spyware ridden, not to mention limiting OS like Windows on your daily machine is a better question IMO.

If I could piss this Windows box I use for BF4 off and solely run Linux I would.

It's just an operating system, why not game on it?

Sounds like Linux systems are more limited than windows, to me!

lol. you are including portable devices like android for linux marketshare.

I think AMD FUCKING SUCKS because there are no drivers for my galaxy s5, i really wanted to put a 295x2 in there. what a shit company lol.

PC = Windows, people would rather game on a mac than linux. Linux is a microscopic niche for gaming, and a company like AMD has no incentive wasting their limited resources on something that useless and unprofitable. Maybe when steam machines get popular one day, this will be somewhere they can make money.

Bad trolling, but whatever.

So FireTV, Nvidia Shield, Nintendo NX, APUs, SoCs, and all the other boxes sitting next to a TV shouldn't be a priority for a hardware company? The fastest growing market segments by far are irrelevant to developers? You keep saying linux is a niche market, but revenue would seem to suggest otherwise.

People who (attempt) to game on Linux are retarded.

I do all my gaming on Linux now.

Oh wait... you said retarded. So yeah.

But anyway... the whole thing is kind of stupid because AMD's driver (or at least the one tested here) is basically the same code-base on both Windows and Linux (just like how nvidia does it), and AMD has at least two of the best OpenGL guys in the industry on their team, but for whatever reasons they just don't seal the deal. Who knows, maybe it's politics.

Like this new Crimson UI thing. They wrote it from the ground up in Qt. So there you go, it should be cross-platform and everything. Did they release a version for Linux? Nope.

The whole company from top to bottom is just scatter-brained.

Kinda reminds me of the IT and bioinformatics depts at my company. For whatever reason they never seem to know what the other is doing. Hell just 3 weeks ago IT pushed out an upgraded version of an existing software, and it completely broke the bioinformatics infrastructure. Ok, so IT sent out a recall notice, but funny thing is while the recall was going on, the bioinformatics guys figured out what the problem was and made everything work again. Great, except they forgot to tell IT, so everybody rolled back to the previous version, which was now incompatible with the updated bioinformatics framework.

umm..you cant play a majority of AAA games on Linux.

THATS the benchmark...

It is unfortunate but the bare facts are that Linux just doesn't have enough of a user base in personal computing. Steam is making a valiant effort. Probably will take quite some time to get a hold, and a lot of support from the community and hardware partners. But Windows has quite a strangle hold on the market. I really like win10 so far, not a single issue. And when I get time I really want to get involved with Linux, sounds like fun. Just like the console arguments: not sure why it has to be one or the other, if I had more money I would certainly have both.

umm..you cant play a majority of AAA games on Linux.

THATS the benchmark...

Oh...

So that's what makes a decent operating system, AAA games!

I'm so sorry, as stated, that settles the argument then. [sarcasm off]

Is that also the benchmark for an OS that's designed for gaming or 3D graphics?

It's like a little Windows bubble your all stuck in, isn't it?:)

yes.

learn economics....

no one is arguing a better OS, we are arguing what makes the best environment for games

it aint 'Nix....

Back