AMD Launches New Graphics Software, Radeon Software Crimson Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today released its completely reimagined graphics software suite, Radeon Software Crimson Edition, giving users an exceptional new user experience, 12 new or enhanced features, up to 20 percent more graphics performance1, adjustability that can nearly double generational energy efficiency2, and rock-solid stability across the full spectrum of AMD graphics products. The release is the first from the Radeon Technologies Group, which recently announced a renewed focus on software placing it on par with hardware initiatives.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition includes:
  • Radeon Settings – A new, streamlined user interface: Engineered to get the best performance on AMD graphics hardware, the user-friendly and feature-rich Radeon Settings is lightning fast, starting up 10 times faster3 and initializing displays 3 times faster4 than the AMD Catalyst™ driver. It also offers a more intuitive navigation, a new game manager, new overdrive, and new video, display and AMD Eyefinity technology sections letting users easily apply game settings, adjust performance settings, and apply various features and configurations to their computing experience.
  • 12 new or enhanced features: A wide range of new and augmented capabilities help ensure that users enjoy the best experience possible across gaming, video and productivity applications.
  • Supercharged performance and energy efficiency: Radeon Software Crimson Edition enables up to 33 percent faster game load times5, up to 20 percent more game performance1, and up to 1.8 times more energy efficiency capability2 than its predecessor which can increasing system performance-per-watt by as much as 23 percent.6
  • First public support of AMD LiquidVR™ technology: GCN’s Asynchronous Compute Engine helps to dramatically improve frames per second (FPS), responsiveness and latency in Virtual Reality applications for an exceptionally smooth gaming experience on all GCN-based hardware.
  • Seamless stability: With twice the number of test cases across 15 percent more system configurations than AMD Catalyst™ Omega, and the implementation of a huge number of community-driven requests, Radeon Software Crimson Edition delivers exceptional stability across a range of experiences.

Download HERE.

"Provides full support for DisplayPort to HDMI® 2.0 connections via certified dongles.​​"

Hmm, didn't notice that in the leaked slides but I was kind of skimming.

Anybody use these yet?

Wondering if I'll see any benefit on my 290Xs:eek::eek: Hehehe I'm still using the 14.12 big deal drivers from last year....

Ashes1440P-635x998.jpg

Battlefield41440P1-635x998.jpg

Battlefront1440P1-635x998.jpg

BlackopsIII1440P-635x998.jpg

Fallout41440P1-635x998.jpg

Witcher31440P-635x998.jpg

This is interesting.

What is particularly interesting is how some sites are showing MUCH bigger gains than others.

If I had to guess, it has something to do with the test setup. I would guess that AMD made the drivers more efficient and thus they put less load on the CPU, so rigs with lower end CPU's will see greater gains, than rigs with higher end CPU's.

If we are to believe some of the reviews with bigger differences, this could change the 980TI / Fury X performance matchup. If we believe the reviews with smaller changes, it changes almost nothing.

Looking forward to the [H] assessment.

"Provides full support for DisplayPort to HDMI® 2.0 connections via certified dongles.​​"

This was the main reason I went with the 980TI's, the lack of HDMI2, as it is a feature I need for my screen. I imagine that these dongles would have to be active adapters, and as such they inevitably add input lag. I wonder how much...

WCCF didn't post their test setup - those results have to be taken with a pound of salt.

Most of the authors (actually I think all the "bench" "authors") use i7-6700k, i5-6600 and 860K? Whatever the AMD quad without apu is.

would like to go to these with win 7 64 and my 7870, however, I still do GPU mine (even if it really isnt worth it, have a few coins to fill in) and of course game with overclocking. Current 13.11 just is not that stable with ANY overclock no matter how I ramp voltage up etc, my card default is 1050-1200 core/mem 1.219v I cannot use these clocks with Armored Warfare or 3-25mins or so in it WILL crash/lockup and will not reset itself, though I can gpu mine and game at 983-1375 and 1.056v. I have to hard reset which I hate doing obviously.

So I am all in for performance gains(possible) still able to gpu mine at least for the next month or 2, and of course be able to overclock with stability (highest my card will go is 1281-1505 1.238v this is with Cat 12.8-12.10 though I also lose ability to clock lower A and B I go from current ~428KH/s to ~414KH/s which is no good either)

Does it do a good job at removing old driver files and settings, or should I still use DDU to do a clean install first?

Working great so far, the installation time were surprising fast.. now proceeding to do some gaming =D.

I just installed over old drivers and have had no issues. Everything works good.

Would be nice if you already have the card, I guess, but the dongles will probably be, what, $100? If someone is making a new purchase decision, go green and fuggeddabouddit...

Would be nice if you already have the card, I guess, but the dongles will probably be, what, $100? If someone is making a new purchase decision, go green and fuggeddabouddit...

Not to mention will likely add input lag, as they will need to be active adapters.

No Ubuntu support past 14.04.2. No linux kernel 4.x support. No xorg 1.18......*sighs*

Ugh. that is 1.5 years old already....

Zarathustra[H];1041991041 said:
Not to mention will likely add input lag, as they will need to be active adapters.

add to the list that actually there's no still DP to HDMI 2.0 device, the Club3D was delayed to next year and will be fully active, so as you said, probably input lag involved.

Awww man it can't handle my steam game libary
When click the memory useage sky rocket just pass 4GB with cnext.exe
What matter AMD your software can't handle my 2000+ steam game libary

I don't think the issue have anything to do with steam and/or this driver.. as cnext.exe is completely unrelated. just google "cnext.exe"

CNEXT.EXE is the crimson control panel.

Last edited:
I don't think the issue have anything to do with steam and/or this driver.. as cnext.exe is completely unrelated. just google "cnext.exe"

Read My Post
Need poof here go
https://youtu.be/1eiVSkOKx-M

CNEXT.EXE is the crimson control panel.
No @#$% Dick Tracy

not amd's fault you don't have enough ram lol:)
I more the enough ram thanks you

@OP Was your cat attacking your numpad while you were typing this post :D
My Steam Profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/shspvr/
Now zip it it no typeO

it might be trying to load up profiles for your games or something like that, have you tried to just let it run for a while and see what happens?

good for amd, though i do not use amd stuff it is ratehr interesting to see them attempt to turn things around good for them.

It likely doesn't matter how many games are in your Steam library, but rather how many of them are actually installed on your computer right now. The more games you have installed, the longer it's likely going to take at first launch to auto-detect them and create profiles for them.

What you didn't say is whether or not Crimson actually finishes and settles back down in terms of memory usage.

there are also crimson edition chipset drivers under the optional section. for anyone that cares...

it.. killed my browser (seamonkey). it freezes the computer for about 5-10 seconds after i try and load any webpage now...

as far as installing over old drivers, generally is ALWAYS best to clean install driver sets, takes an extra ~5-10mins most times to avoid problems that can easily be avoided by taking that extra few steps, I know lots of folks that do an install over their old drivers and many times works ok, but often do not get the same performance or stability not to mention wasted crud sitting there for nothing.

As far as that shspvr, wow, just wow. things can easily be kept clean without being a tool about the way it is worded. and a quick google search says that CNEXT.EXE is related to catia and dassault systems, not once could I myself find a relation to Crimson software from AMD with this exe specific link, even according to MSFT please see the MSFT link and google search below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ror/0c30ed56-80a8-45fb-96cb-bbca18068510?db=5

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...me&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=CNEXT.EXE&gws_rd=ssl

so unless I am missing something, it has nothing to do with Crimson/Catalyst or Steam for that matter it is related to hardware in this case some space mouse CAD tools or the like, maybe it is overloading the HDD thorough swap file (not proper size) or whatever. IMO it could be your system and/or what you have in use causing the issue, not generally the Radeon software causing it, 2k+ steam games would take a TON of space in my mind so I think the issue is more complex then the simple explain the way you are wording it that Crimson is causing the issue?

Installation nuked my realtek gbe driver on W10, but that guy has been special ever since I made the OS move...

Edit to add: reinstallation of the realtek driver and disabling the "green lan" configuration in bios brought it back to life no problem. Not even pretending to be upset here.

Last edited:
It likely doesn't matter how many games are in your Steam library, but rather how many of them are actually installed on your computer right now. The more games you have installed, the longer it's likely going to take at first launch to auto-detect them and create profiles for them.

What you didn't say is whether or not Crimson actually finishes and settles back down in terms of memory usage.
I actually installed over 2000 a cross a few big harddrive
Yes it take a long why to long

You have 2000+ games installed?

Why?

I only ever have 3-5 titles installed at a time. When. I am done playing one, I uninstall it.

Back