Digital Currency Pays People To Walk

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Well, that’s one way to get people off their butt. This new currency, appropriately dubbed “bitwalking dollars,” is generated by users’ steps.

The idea of Bitwalking is to take advantage of the trend for fitness trackers by offering an additional incentive to keep fit. The global scheme plans to partner with sportswear brands, health services, health insurance firms, environmental groups, and potentially advertisers who could be offered unique insights into the audiences they are targeting.

I'm assuming there's some sort of GPS requirement for this, so someone doesn't just put a phone in a paint shaker and then a few hours later voila! 200 miles walked. Although I can see someone making some ingenuous contraption that goes around in a circle while bouncing a phone up and down to cheap the system.

The only value in this is getting people's movement patterns, Google actually already collects this data by default with Google location history.

let me guess -- you walk 50 miles and have enough money to buy some crappy coffee mug or tshirt?

I'm assuming there's some sort of GPS requirement for this, so someone doesn't just put a phone in a paint shaker and then a few hours later voila! 200 miles walked. Although I can see someone making some ingenuous contraption that goes around in a circle while bouncing a phone up and down to cheap the system.

Roomba-770-stairs.jpg

Back