Microsoft Has Pulled Threshold 2 From Windows Update

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Here's hoping that Microsoft didn't pull their big update because of some massive, undisclosed bug. And please don’t tell me I’m going to need to go through that update process all over again.

Microsoft has not made any announcement as to why it has pulled the November Update, but users looking to install it via Windows Update are now met with no download being offered. It also appears the 10586 SDK has been pulled from Microsoft servers too.

Update: Microsoft has offered an explanation.

"The November update was originally available via the MCT (Media Creation Tool), but the company decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 [Build 10240] using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update. Microsoft has not pulled the Windows 10 November 10 update. The company is rolling out the November update over time – if you don’t see it in Windows Update, you will see it soon."

Last edited:
lol.

Beta software publicly tested.
You would think they know what they are doing by now.
I am reminded so often that sticking with Windows 7 was the most sensible decision for so many reasons its unreal!

Win10 has served perfectly well as my gaming platform at least.

since the last update my tablets wifi disconnects randomly.

Well damn, that's why our surface pro's are disconnecting wifi for no reason now. Also happened to my work desktop. If that's the case, HOTFIX.

MS probably forgot to add some more user tracking. That seems to be a priority feature.

Have built many Windows 10 machines and used the new version on half a dozen or more.

No issues so far.

Have to say I haven't updated my 7 Pro workstation yet. Was going to wait till the new year and let 10 have another 6 months of polish.

It's probably about the update removing third-party applications for no apparent reason, seemingly at random and with no explanation.

It's probably about the update removing third-party applications for no apparent reason, seemingly at random and with no explanation.
That really is the biggest problem with MS's strategy of Windows 10, to take complete control of the OS itself away from the user. Why in the world anyone at MS thought that was a good idea is as bizarre as its (failing, failing, failing) mobile first strategy. I thought Windows 8 was MS's low, but it's really not hit bottom yet.

Maybe it is because 10586 completely screwed up streaming video. No matter the browser or site (except youtube and a couple others) it degrades the video significantly... wrong/missing colors, banding, massive artifacts, etc.

Some stuff plays properly in Chrome, but most stuff is just completely trashed.

Not the video drivers as I have tested with the same drivers on Windows 7. Works perfectly.

That is the only thing I have run into that is wrong with 10586.

I have a Win 10 test machine and the big update uninstalled that CPU-Z info utility
claiming it was incompatible. Re-installed it and it works fine.

That was good for a laugh, but I can see people getting pissed about an update
deleting larger apps for no reason.

Well damn. Kind of odd because 1511 actually seemed to fix a number of things for me on several machines. This update is still on MSDN, I just downloaded the Enterprise version today and installed it and it's still there. So I don't think it's a show stopping bug otherwise they would have pulled it from MSDN but I'm think it has to be some kind of bug. I'm guessing it might be with issues related to removed programs and reset settings.

I installed it on my laptop with i7-4700HQ (i think) and GTX 780M (the 11/15 update) and had no problems. Used MCT the other day to update my X79 GTX 970 desktop because it wouldn't show up in windows update. No problems with video streaming, wifi, or anything else for that matter :-/

I installed it on my laptop with i7-4700HQ (i think) and GTX 780M (the 11/15 update) and had no problems. Used MCT the other day to update my X79 GTX 970 desktop because it wouldn't show up in windows update. No problems with video streaming, wifi, or anything else for that matter :-/

I haven't had serious issues either. Although the new system settings interface does not actually apply the settings I choose which is highly, highly annoying. At the end of the day it works better for my uses than Windows 8.1, but considering how long the system has been out Microsoft seems to be dropping the ball on bug fixes. It definitely feels like a beta.

Latest update is working perfectly for me except I seem to have an intermittent pause during login. At the Welcome message, immediately after entering my password, it can take 10 to 20 seconds to progress.

I suspect it is something to do with reconnecting to network shares as my disk array spins up at the same time but it didn't happen before Threshold 2 when the desktop would always appear within about a second of the entering my password.

What.... we can't state the facts when it comes to MS bugs and problems?

WTF dude? :rolleyes:

You don't understand the younger generation with their delicate egos that have been protected from all the bad meanies all their lives.

Facts are now considered hate speech if they make the poor snowflakes feel bad.

It's like they gave the OS an ai that only runs in retarded mode. I would have given windows 10 a shot if they weren't trying to control what users can and cant install. Saying that the phone, xbox, and desktop will all be running windows, I didn't think that they meant they're going to securely lock it down like a console. Maybe that's their real plan, to drive people to buy more consoles.

It's only a matter of time before you need to call the Microsoft India helpline to get a one time passcode to access your pc from an OS that went into lockdown mode after tripping up over an unrecognized file extension.

Maybe it is because 10586 completely screwed up streaming video. No matter the browser or site (except youtube and a couple others) it degrades the video significantly... wrong/missing colors, banding, massive artifacts, etc.
Haven't noticed the streaming video issues you're seeing.

10586 did fix an issue with streaming from Netflix. Random freezing was occurring under 10240 via the Netflix app and Edge. Was very annoying but I'm glad they fixed it. The app is great because it has a 5.1 audio option.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7...ng-youtube-netflix-video-streaming-issues.htm

I have seen many different posts regarding Microsoft pulling Threshold 2 so it would be nice to get a definitive answer.

Personally, I have built a new machine using the current ISO and have not had any issue with anything. I have also updated a few machines at work using windows update and haven't had an issue either.

Hopefully we can get a solid answer next week so all this damn speculation stops.

Every version of windows released in the last 20 years has had some sort of issue. Just deal with it and move on and remember if it wasn't for Microsoft someone of us wouldn't have a job in it.... LOL.

Windows has to work with several billion combinations of hardware and software in varying states of condition from the past 15 years.

People tend to forget that. That and it's almost impossible to test fully against that kind of usage scenario. You just have to test it against 0.001% and hope for the best.

Windows has to work with several billion combinations of hardware and software in varying states of condition from the past 15 years.

People tend to forget that. That and it's almost impossible to test fully against that kind of usage scenario. You just have to test it against 0.001% and hope for the best.

Exactly and the sheer fact that windows is generally compatible with most applications written over the last 10 years pretty damn impressive.

I suspect it's some form of abuse of the new, looser, activation system. They want us to be able to use Windows 7/8/8.1 key codes directly, but I wonder if it was perhaps allowing more than they intended.

So they are pulling the big update versions from the MCT?

Why would folks want to take the 2-3 hour update/download install route when you can use the MCT tool on a USB3 stick to SSD route and install in 10 minutes??

Don't worry, those same people will then accuse Apple of being Fascists because they don't aim for several billion combinations of hardware.

While I do use my Windows PC the most, I have to admit my 2 Apple's just chug along with zero problems.

Well, I am just pleased that since they are aware of the problem, they are going to fix it. It would have been a disservice to leave the 10586 build up well being fully aware of game stopping problems. :) Oh, and daglesj, you are right but, it is a shame many on here do not realize it.

The first thing that comes to mind after reading the article and the comments to this point is that I am so glad I decided to stick with Win 7.
After seeing all the problems with Win 10 and all the data mining that MS infested it with, I am starting to become more comfortable with my Linux boxes.
If only the game I like to play worked better under Linux...sigh.

The first thing that comes to mind after reading the article and the comments to this point is that I am so glad I decided to stick with Win 7.
After seeing all the problems with Win 10 and all the data mining that MS infested it with, I am starting to become more comfortable with my Linux boxes.
If only the game I like to play worked better under Linux...sigh.

That's ok, Windows 7 will not last forever. The way this post of yours reads, you must not be in IT?

If you already have this installed, where would the source be located on the hard drive?

I try updating a thousand times and nothing. finally I erased the drive and installed win 8.1 then I "upgraded" to windows 10 and got the final version 1511 build 10586.11.
a while ago I again started having the same problem I was getting before. after updating, when I click on control panel a window quickly will flash and then nothing happens.
I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if the problem is this update. frustrating.

Good thing I saved the ISO. Not that it does me any good since I am having no issues with the update - I don't like having the rug pulled out from underneath me.

Back