600K Cable Modems Have ‘Backdoors In Backdoors’

HardOCP News

[H] News
So many "Yo dawg! I heard you like backdoors in your backdoors" jokes to be had, so little time.

600,000 Arris cable modems could be affected by a “backdoor-within-a-backdoor”, according to a security researcher. Bernardo Rodrigues, a vulnerability tester with Brazil’s Globo TV network, posted that he discovered the undocumented library within three Arris cable modems. However, using the search engine for internet-connected devices, Shodan, this found that in fact, 600,000 modems were affected.

How can you have a backdoor in a backdoor? Is it like a human size door with a doggie door in it?

Backdoors in Backdoors eh? I guess you could say that anyone using backdoor access to one of these modems will be figuratively tearing them a new asshole.

Tiered access to the highest bidder. I wonder which governments get the double duty and which didn't.

If the first shell is a fake shell, that may have been to tighten the security against random 'internet noise' brute force attacks. Although, I see no reason to have a technician's shell in the first place, unless the programmer who put it there was planning corporate espionage or working for a foreign government.

Back