U.S. Consumers Favor Amazon For Online Holiday Shopping

HardOCP News

[H] News
Consumers favor Amazon for online holiday shopping? I believe it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me people prefer Amazon over shopping locally.

A majority of U.S. consumers plan to go to Amazon.com for most of their online holiday shopping, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll, even after traditional retailers have collectively spent billions of dollars to try to capture Web demand.

I do prefer it to shopping locally, especially when a lot of stuff is same day delivery :)

Amazon sells everytihng, and unless you walk to the local department store, shipping is usually cheaper than the gas it would take to drive to a store and come back (generally), even if it isn't...its gonna be damn close.

So, shop anytime at a store that has unlimited options....or go to a B&M and take what you can get.

The writing's on the wall.

I don't know about other people, but I MUCH prefer Amazon over going out shopping anytime between Thanksgiving and New Years. Christmas shopping season is CRAZY. There are just SO many nutcases out there. Why do stupid people have to make Christmas so brutal?

Lets see, Amazon or Best Buy?

If I go to Best Buy, I get to deal with all the following wonderful items:
Horrible Staff
Door Nazis when I try to leave
Horrible return policy
Horrible prices
Long Lines
Horrible Returns
15 day return policy unless I spend a shit ton of cash so I get the luxury of an extended return period
And I have to get in my car to go there

Or I can go to Amazon which is completely painless, has awesome customer service, and even gives promo credits when something does go wrong, painless returns, etc.

I'm shocked at how many people still wait out in the cold on Black Friday. And all for deals that have been proven to not be that great. What is wrong with people? Don't they know that Amazon sends the stuff straight to your door?

I used to shop at Amazon, until they started charging sales tax. Now I go elsewhere.

Amazon has really made it too easy. With Prime shipping and low prices, it's rare for me to shop elsewhere online unless there is an amazing deal somewhere else. It beats going in stores, as I'm usually not in any hurry and can wait a couple days.

For Christmas presents, it's a no brainer. Order early, avoid the lines, traffic, idiots, etc..

I'm shocked at how many people still wait out in the cold on Black Friday. And all for deals that have been proven to not be that great. What is wrong with people? Don't they know that Amazon sends the stuff straight to your door?
Old farts who refuse to change. But the popularity of Cyber Monday continues to increase every year.

Amazon for everything EXCEPT for food & clothing.
Food should always be examined for the most fresh/best ingredients.
Clothing just for trying on. Too much a pain to return something if you don't want it for whatever reason.

Old farts who refuse to change.

Have you been out on Black Friday? I'd say 25% old farts that refuse to change, 25% of people just out having fun and 50% people that can't shop online because they don't take EBT or they don't have a debit card. It's a mess, and people are animals. It's great to watch, and I'll usually get one or two things when I go with my wife (I like watching people). But, a lot of people that are low life's. Or they dress and act like it, anyway. Nothing wrong with that, if that's how they want to live, but that's why they are there. Pay cash or EBT.

I do a lot of Christmas shopping on Amazon now. I don't think it affects the quality of my gifts and it saves a lot of time.

I haven't done brick and mortar shopping since like 05. All my holiday shopping is done online.
You can't pay me to deal with all the stupid people in the way.

Unless I either can't get something online or if I can't wait for it to ship, then I buy local.

Amazon is definitely not my favorite online place to shop though. Trying to find stuff unless you know exactly what you are looking for is a nightmare.

Stuff is always in the wrong categories. Searches bring up stuff that have nothing to do with what you are looking for, etc.

Now Newegg has the absolute best online store I have ever seen. Stuff is super easy to find. Stuff is categorized properly, and searches only bring up stuff like I am actually looking for.

All other online stores should take a lesson from them.

Amazon is definitely not my favorite online place to shop though. Trying to find stuff unless you know exactly what you are looking for is a nightmare.

Stuff is always in the wrong categories. Searches bring up stuff that have nothing to do with what you are looking for, etc.

Now Newegg has the absolute best online store I have ever seen. Stuff is super easy to find. Stuff is categorized properly, and searches only bring up stuff like I am actually looking for.

All other online stores should take a lesson from them.

AMEN BROTHER!!!
Newegg is the benchmark.

I hate it when I'm searching for something on Amazon and what I'm looking for is not there. I go back to the site later on and there in the recommended for you section is what I was looking for. WTF is that about:mad:

Sounds logical. Walmart is trying to take the same page but falling so far.

I ordered 7 large Rubbermaid containers from Walmart. When I got home there were 7 massive cardboard boxes on the porch. Each box could have easily fit 10 containers. I don't know why it's so hard to do what Amazon does, but rather than other companies rising to the challenge they are getting worse.

For me Amazon is great for all the stuff that doesn't matter much, like clothes, electronics, tools, toothbrushes, etc. When I need something ultra high quality, I will still usually shop online, but have to go to a specialty site.

I do almost every bit of shopping at Amazon that I can nowadays. Even when they started collecting tax they were still cheaper than my local stores even factoring in the cost of Prime.

On the rare time I need something immediately and cant even wait the day or two for it to be shipped, I'll find what I need on the site, print it out and go to my local Staples for a price match. Saved me $27 on a 64GB USB stick we needed for work the other day.

Amazon CS has also been far, far better than Newegg's has in years (for my own interactions). Amazon barely questions the "how" or "why" and just fixes the problem, even if it was UPS or FedEx that caused it.

Amazon's search functionality stinks. I wish there were a "strict, only show me stuff that has the keywords in the title" checkbox. That being said, the prices are reasonable, shipping is free, customer service is great, and it's super convenient.

Everyone hating on Best Buy - I will only buy Televisions from a local brick and mortar cause I demo and drive home... and dealing with Mognolia has been fantastic, don't even have to put the TV back in the box for an exchange... not only that the salesperson convinced me to buy the less expensive "silly" TV and if I didn't like it keep exchanging and move up the ladder. Can't complain.

Use Amazon for nearly everything, but happy I didn't this time (last 2 weeks).

Back