Uber Can't Appeal Class Certification Order Driver Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has delivered more bad news to Uber today. Those guys just can't seem to catch a break.

A U.S. appeals court on Tuesday denied ride service Uber's request to immediately appeal an order approving class certification in a lawsuit filed by drivers who wish to be deemed employees.

All this is going to do is further push the uber business model down to the craigslist model. Why should I join uber if they aren't going to back me when I can just post adds on craigslist offering my drivers services instead. All Uber is, is another way to monetize giving people a ride from point A to point B without jumping through the expensive hoops of starting a new taxi service. But why cant I just pick people up on my own of my own free will and take them where they want to go for 'gas money'?

All this is going to do is further push the uber business model down to the craigslist model. Why should I join uber if they aren't going to back me when I can just post adds on craigslist offering my drivers services instead. All Uber is, is another way to monetize giving people a ride from point A to point B without jumping through the expensive hoops of starting a new taxi service. But why cant I just pick people up on my own of my own free will and take them where they want to go for 'gas money'?

Uber is having to abide by local laws in a lot of cities now. A lot of these laws are specially tailored for services like Uber, but are laws nonetheless. Sure, you can pick people up and offer rides for payment...but you can expect the local cab authority to eventually catch your ass and make it all not worth your while.

Uber is having to abide by local laws in a lot of cities now. A lot of these laws are specially tailored for services like Uber, but are laws nonetheless. Sure, you can pick people up and offer rides for payment...but you can expect the local cab authority to eventually catch your ass and make it all not worth your while.

Cab companies have no policing or regulatory powers, so I wouldn't be particularly worried about that.

It's not the cab companies. It's the rest of the industry. Most motor vehicle insurance policies prohibit using a personal vehicle as a vehicle for hire, and technically it becomes 'insurance fraud' because unless it's insured as a commercial vehicle (which usually raises the insurance rates oh, about 300%) and registered as such, you're violating the motor vehicle laws. Most uber drivers are just people trying to make a few extra bucks, and tripling their insurance payments isn't going to do that. It's only a matter of time before they get caught, have their insurance policies revoked, then their registration goes away too, and then their license if they are caught driving without insurance (if you are in a state where insurance is mandatory to register a car).

Cab companies have no policing or regulatory powers, so I wouldn't be particularly worried about that.

Apparently you have never lived in almost every large city in the United States. Cab authorities have law enforcement capabilities, that include both ticketing and arrest powers. They are not run by the cab companies, they are run by the local government (though the cab companies hold enormous sway in regards to them).

Apparently you have never lived in almost every large city in the United States. Cab authorities have law enforcement capabilities, that include both ticketing and arrest powers. They are not run by the cab companies, they are run by the local government (though the cab companies hold enormous sway in regards to them).

Yep.

This is another example of regulator capture, here is a business offering great services for cheap, and the cab companies bearing down on them.

Used cabs allot before, most "good" cases were a half way clean car and a somewhat not batshit crazy driver, and unGodly high rates. Took the same drive once in a cab and in Uber car, Uber drive was 1/4th of the normal cab rate. Also every Uber drive I have taken the cars have all been new and spotless.

This is a prime example of the government hurting an industry with regulation and taxation.

Used cabs allot before, most "good" cases were a half way clean car and a somewhat not batshit crazy driver, and unGodly high rates. Took the same drive once in a cab and in Uber car, Uber drive was 1/4th of the normal cab rate. Also every Uber drive I have taken the cars have all been new and spotless.
That's not because Uber is great, it's because many of their drivers are stupid. A driver with new car driving for a rate 1/4 of a cab is losing money every mile they drive and won't be unable to afford that car in a few months thanks to accelerated maintenance and wear and tear. They also stop being spotless after awhile due to passenger damage.

Since the number of drivers who own nice cars and are stupid is still limited, Uber's been forced to steadily allow older and older vehicles. In some places, you can drive for Uber with a 15 year old vehicle.

That's not because Uber is great, it's because many of their drivers are stupid. A driver with new car driving for a rate 1/4 of a cab is losing money every mile they drive and won't be unable to afford that car in a few months thanks to accelerated maintenance and wear and tear. They also stop being spotless after awhile due to passenger damage.

Since the number of drivers who own nice cars and are stupid is still limited, Uber's been forced to steadily allow older and older vehicles. In some places, you can drive for Uber with a 15 year old vehicle.

Uber is not great, but that doesn't make cab companies any better. Also, I have not yet met a single "full time" Uber driver, everyone of them have said they have full time jobs and do this in free time etc for extra money. I will take an Uber car over a cab any day.

Cab companies whining that UBER doesn't fall prey the same racketeering scam they do is really whining that they were outmaneuvered.

Uber found a way to route around despotic theft. The fact that the cab companies could not is of no concern to Uber. Adapt or die. Capitalism 101.

Cab companies whining that UBER doesn't fall prey the same racketeering scam they do is really whining that they were outmaneuvered.

Uber found a way to route around despotic theft. The fact that the cab companies could not is of no concern to Uber. Adapt or die. Capitalism 101.
But this is a case of Uber drivers suing Uber to get their employee rights and benefits after being controlled as employees.

Back