Fallout 4: Real-Life vs. In-Game Boston

Always cool to see real life done in vitual reality. I'm sure the game is extra fun for anyone from the Boston area.

Personally im *this* close to uninstalling the game. Graphics, lip sync, and glaring bugs aside.... it's just not drawing me in or doing anything for me. It feels like I'm playing a game from 5+ years ago.

The worst is the need to quicksave every 5 minutes because I've been bit MORE than a few times by game ending bugs, particularly with elevators. Wanna do that quest? Sorry, the elevator glitches out and you just sit in it with Dogmeat for an hour impossible to get out.

Always cool to see real life done in vitual reality. I'm sure the game is extra fun for anyone from the Boston area.

Personally im *this* close to uninstalling the game. Graphics, lip sync, and glaring bugs aside.... it's just not drawing me in or doing anything for me. It feels like I'm playing a game from 5+ years ago.

The worst is the need to quicksave every 5 minutes because I've been bit MORE than a few times by game ending bugs, particularly with elevators. Wanna do that quest? Sorry, the elevator glitches out and you just sit in it with Dogmeat for an hour impossible to get out.

I love Bethesda games, but I've learned never to buy them until the modding community has had time to make real patches. I don't remember a Bethesda release that wasn't a buggy mess for the first few months. Even before the Internet gave all game companies an excuse to just release heavily buggy and patch later, Bethesda was doing it.

I love Bethesda games, but I've learned never to buy them until the modding community has had time to make real patches. I don't remember a Bethesda release that wasn't a buggy mess for the first few months. Even before the Internet gave all game companies an excuse to just release heavily buggy and patch later, Bethesda was doing it.

Unfortunately Fallout 4 is a pathetic console port and many of it's issues can't be fixed with mods. Its still fun but much of the game is fundamentally broken.

Being a resident of the area that was kind of cool. So what year does this take place?? Just wondering how many Super Bowls the Patriots would have! LOL!!:D:p

Unfortunately Fallout 4 is a pathetic console port and many of it's issues can't be fixed with mods. Its still fun but much of the game is fundamentally broken.

Ummm ok then. I have no idea where you got this idea from. Consoles from what I read can drop to 0 fps and look like shit. If it was a "pathetic console port" the PC would run even shittier. What is "fundamentally broken" anyway?

Running it on Ultra settings and I have no idea why people are bitching about the graphics and stuff. If it's a fun game the graphics take a back seat. Gamers just need to chill out and enjoy games. Nowadays people just want to bitch and not sit back and just have fun.

The more I play FO4 the less I like it, and that's saying something as I've been a huge fan of the series from FO1. This game is a significant downgrade in gameplay from FO3 and F:NV. So much of the core mechanics that made for the immersive RPG experience of previous games have been stripped out reducing it to an uninspiring first person shooter.

I guess I'l start with the good:
  • The FPS portion is much better, but still is average as a shooter. Regular combat functions OK. Enemies now continue moving in VATS (dramatically slows but doesn't pause the game).
  • The weapon customization is cool, and crafting works better.
  • Radiation actually matters now.

Things that have taken a huge downgrade:
  • Somewhere out there is a nice interview stating that giving the player a varied choice of dialogue in fallout 3 didn't allow them to tell a story quite like they wanted. You know what the problem is? A role-playing game isn't about being told a story, it is about making your OWN story. Especially in one like Fallout. All this talk from Todd Howard bout how player freedom remains their number one goal, yet they cuddle you through the whole story.
  • After I saw the "wheeled" dialog choices and the player character speaking it made me think of Mass effect, but it's not even close in terms of immersion. I didn't feel attached to any of the characters in Fallout 4, and the dialogues were very unsatisfying, and boring. All you get to choose is “Yes”, “No”, “Sarcasm” type of responses. Hell, is it really necessary to point out that a certain response might be sarcastic? It's a simple concept. If you point out that something is sarcastic in advance, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of sarcasm! It’s not funny or witty anymore. Not that it matters anyways.....
  • ^That's not even the the worst part of the dialog.. the most horrifying part is that it DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL - No choices are really made, no matter what you choose the game directs you down the same path. That's right you can't be choose to be good, evil, a bit of both, etc. This is NOT an RPG in any way, it's a action/adventure shooter. This is an on rails adventure with a complete lack of shades of grey story, it's Good vs Evil, and you can only be good.
  • No Karma system. Feel free to loot "owned" items, it doesn't impact anything anyways.
  • Poor side quest design, almost all in line with MMO "quality". I was really sad when I found out the side quests basically all are: "We need help killing raiders at such and such location". You do that and they just give you another "clear this area quest". There is no story progression or choice. Just infinite rinse and repeat the same quest over in a different location.
  • The characters are completely uninteresting. Remember the Kings from F:NV? Fotrget about zany stuff like that. Gone are the different characters scheming against one another and your actions lead to different outcomes. Everyone is basically a farmer living in an isolated shack on a hill and they all need help stopping raiders (as above).
  • Complete removal of skills, giving birth to a streamlined, watered down perk system. SPECIAL doesn't even really matter anymore. There are no perk/skill/stat-based dialogue checks. So if you liked having a very perceptive or intelligent, maybe even a cannibalistic character with some cool dialogue, say goodbye to that.
  • You can use all weapons regardless of type right from when you find them (no more specialization requirements). Part of the fun in building your character was choosing it's abilities.

In summary, Fallout 4 lacks the RPG elements of previous Fallout games. The game ages quickly after what seems to be a cool intro and a good start. The first couple hours of the game feels enjoyable, but when you want to dig deeper, there's nothing to dig. By that time you've already done and seen everything game has to offer. I'd give this game a 4/10 and that's me being generous..

Ummm ok then. I have no idea where you got this idea from. Consoles from what I read can drop to 0 fps and look like shit. If it was a "pathetic console port" the PC would run even shittier. What is "fundamentally broken" anyway?

Running it on Ultra settings and I have no idea why people are bitching about the graphics and stuff. If it's a fun game the graphics take a back seat. Gamers just need to chill out and enjoy games. Nowadays people just want to bitch and not sit back and just have fun.

This kind of crap is why Valve won't release Half-life 3. All people know how to do anymore is complain.

I had the game on PS4 and already traded it in. It isn't a very good console game for being a console game. My main issues were the game subtitles being broken (multiple times!), the UI is terrible news harder to use than it needs to be, the game looks generally bland, the gunplay absolutely sucks (I've played too much Destiny to accept this crap now), and VATS feelijg clunky as hell now. :(

It seems everyone either has a million crashes or it runs without issue (me, PC, Ultra). Would be better if it just worked for everyone.

[*]No Karma system. Feel free to loot "owned" items, it doesn't impact anything anyways.

[/LIST]

The Karma system in FO3 basically came down to choices of "club baby seals" or "be mother Theresa." There was absolutely no nuance to it and it was kind of a bad joke. Almost every reviewer complained about that. They mostly take it out and all people can do is bitch. Bitch bitch bitch. Things are the best they've ever been and no one is happy. People like you are why Valve will never release Half-life 3. It will never be good enough for all the damn haters. This is actually the least buggy, most functional Bethesda game at launch yet. Which means it will probably be fantastic after patches, mods, and DLC.

This kind of crap is why Valve won't release Half-life 3. All people know how to do anymore is complain.

Agreed, I'm enjoying Fallout 4. Personally I think it looks great.

I think everyone has set there expectations way to high the last couple years.

The Karma system in FO3 basically came down to choices of "club baby seals" or "be mother Theresa." There was absolutely no nuance to it and it was kind of a bad joke. Almost every reviewer complained about that. They mostly take it out and all people can do is bitch. Bitch bitch bitch. Things are the best they've ever been and no one is happy. People like you are why Valve will never release Half-life 3. It will never be good enough for all the damn haters. This is actually the least buggy, most functional Bethesda game at launch yet. Which means it will probably be fantastic after patches, mods, and DLC.

I didn't gripe once about game bugs, my experience there has been bug free personally, and I'm not sure how that's even relevant to the intended game design.

The problem is that Fallout 4 isn’t an RPG even though it's marketed and as one, it’s essentially an adventure shooter now. Except for the settlement building stuff, every single quest so far involved going somewhere and murdering everything. There are no alternative paths, there is no use of skills or speech to do things differently. You go to the location, you kill everything that moves, grab the thing you need (if even) and that’s it. The game-play itself is shallow, that's my problem with it.

Yeah, I'm going to wait about 6 months and pick this one up in the bargain bin sale on Steam.

It appears to be pretty much the same game as FO3 but with fatter textures.
FO3 is one of my all time favorite games so I can stand a graphics update and more of the same type gaming; but I won't pay a premium for it.

The more I play FO4 the less I like it, and that's saying something as I've been a huge fan of the series from FO1. This game is a significant downgrade in gameplay from FO3 and F:NV. So much of the core mechanics that made for the immersive RPG experience of previous games have been stripped out reducing it to an uninspiring first person shooter.

• The FPS portion is much better, but still is average as a shooter. Regular combat functions OK. Enemies now continue moving in VATS (dramatically slows but doesn't pause the game).

• Somewhere out there is a nice interview stating that giving the player a varied choice of dialogue in fallout 3 didn't allow them to tell a story quite like they wanted. You know what the problem is? A role-playing game isn't about being told a story, it is about making your OWN story. Especially in one like Fallout. All this talk from Todd Howard bout how player freedom remains their number one goal, yet they cuddle you through the whole story.
  • After I saw the "wheeled" dialog choices and the player character speaking it made me think of Mass effect, but it's not even close in terms of immersion. I didn't feel attached to any of the characters in Fallout 4, and the dialogues were very unsatisfying, and boring. All you get to choose is “Yes”, “No”, “Sarcasm” type of responses. Hell, is it really necessary to point out that a certain response might be sarcastic? It's a simple concept. If you point out that something is sarcastic in advance, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of sarcasm! It’s not funny or witty anymore. Not that it matters anyways.....
  • ^That's not even the the worst part of the dialog.. the most horrifying part is that it DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL - No choices are really made, no matter what you choose the game directs you down the same path. That's right you can't be choose to be good, evil, a bit of both, etc. This is NOT an RPG in any way, it's a action/adventure shooter. This is an on rails adventure with a complete lack of shades of grey story, it's Good vs Evil, and you can only be good.
  • No Karma system. Feel free to loot "owned" items, it doesn't impact anything anyways.
  • Poor side quest design, almost all in line with MMO "quality". I was really sad when I found out the side quests basically all are: "We need help killing raiders at such and such location". You do that and they just give you another "clear this area quest". There is no story progression or choice. Just infinite rinse and repeat the same quest over in a different location.
  • The characters are completely uninteresting. Remember the Kings from F:NV? Fotrget about zany stuff like that. Gone are the different characters scheming against one another and your actions lead to different outcomes. Everyone is basically a farmer living in an isolated shack on a hill and they all need help stopping raiders (as above).
  • Complete removal of skills, giving birth to a streamlined, watered down perk system. SPECIAL doesn't even really matter anymore. There are no perk/skill/stat-based dialogue checks. So if you liked having a very perceptive or intelligent, maybe even a cannibalistic character with some cool dialogue, say goodbye to that.
  • You can use all weapons regardless of type right from when you find them (no more specialization requirements). Part of the fun in building your character was choosing it's abilities.

In summary, Fallout 4 lacks the RPG elements of previous Fallout games. The game ages quickly after what seems to be a cool intro and a good start. The first couple hours of the game feels enjoyable, but when you want to dig deeper, there's nothing to dig. By that time you've already done and seen everything game has to offer. I'd give this game a 4/10 and that's me being generous..
I am having a blast with this game. The removal of the Karma system makes it way better. You aren't being told if your choices are good or bad. They are just the choices you are making. If you feel like you are being funneled, just wait. There are some major choices later in the game that are better than a number of RPGs out there, and trust me you can be evil. Very Evil.

The dialog system could have been better, but having it fully voiced is great, and the interaction with followers is much better.

In the end Bethesda games are all about exploration, and this game is just as fun as all their others for just seeing what is over the rise. This game may not be your cup of tea, but for me it a great cup of Earl Gray, Hot.

Personally, disappointed about the lack of karma in this game.
Yeah, it was usually a "black or white" decision, but it was the fact that you sometimes did something that you clearly knew was wrong for survival (or sacrificing your own chance of survival to be a "good" person) was what made it interesting. Well, until the player reached a higher level with tons of loot/caps that choices no longer mattered.

That, and a definite lack of underwater exploration/combat.

Like haven't Bethesda games gotten progressively less complex with character stats and RPG-ish junk over the years. Like compare Skyrim to Oblivion or Morrowind or whatever else they released before and you can see less and less focus on the whole character development thing-y. IDK why anyone who saw Oblivion and then Skyrim's differences would be surprised to see super limited character variety and even more lame banal quests than before. Just play the game and have fun if you already own it or not buy it or buy it or whatever. Stop whining.

So glad I did not purchase this game.

This is the first fallout game that I regret buying. Oh well, next time I'll wait a week for more in depth data. Shame on me for not being patient enough, hopefully obsidian does the next one.

I am having a great time with FO4, I can understand some criticism but enough to completely write it off is unfounded in my book.

I am having a blast with this game. The removal of the Karma system makes it way better. You aren't being told if your choices are good or bad. They are just the choices you are making. If you feel like you are being funneled, just wait. There are some major choices later in the game that are better than a number of RPGs out there, and trust me you can be evil. Very Evil.

Good. I got it for my son for his birthday (pre-ordered it in July). He uses my profile, so I have to wait for him to finish it. From what I've seen, though, I think I'll enjoy it. Having read the comment you replied to had me worried. I'm seeing a lot of the complaints, and I can live with them (and knowing about them will help out!). Knowing that you can be evil or good makes me feel better. :)

only issue i had was the terminal bug, but all that was needed is to cap fps.other then that game works flawless with everything maxed even god rays.smooth as butter.

I agree with everything you wrote, and then some...

Once I saw the directional arrows on the dialogue options, I knew I was doomed. Looks like zero effort went into porting this to the PC. Disappointing. It explains why there's not even a v-sync on/off option and if I try and run high refresh on my gaming monitor, the game physics go crazy and I get stuck in the console when exiting. (I know physics tied to frame rate has been a known issue on their older games, but it doesn't make it any less of an issue) Awesome.

When my robot butler told me there had been over 200 years since I'd been frozen, I knew it was fail already. That doesn't even make sense simply from a decomposition standpoint. There'd be nothing left of most of the city but rubble, rust, and rot. I sure as hell wouldn't be finding weapons and ammo that still work. The timeline in FO3 made much more sense. I don't know. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I thought it would be a similar timeline.

I don't get it, I am not seeing the problems he is talking about. I'm loving the game.

I don't think you are correct about things going down the same path. I have used saves and swapped apparel in order to change my charisma and seen differences and differences in outcome. Overall, I think you are correct when it comes to the main quest line. But I think there are minor differences that have an effect on things and change the flavor without throwing you off into an entirely different direction on the story. I also think these differences have a greater impact in the side quests and that if someone is driven down the main quest line then they don't see this as easily as someone who is taking the time to branch out and enjoy the roses so to speak.

I agree with everything you wrote, and then some...

Once I saw the directional arrows on the dialogue options, I knew I was doomed. Looks like zero effort went into porting this to the PC. Disappointing. It explains why there's not even a v-sync on/off option and if I try and run high refresh on my gaming monitor, the game physics go crazy and I get stuck in the console when exiting. (I know physics tied to frame rate has been a known issue on their older games, but it doesn't make it any less of an issue) Awesome.

When my robot butler told me there had been over 200 years since I'd been frozen, I knew it was fail already. That doesn't even make sense simply from a decomposition standpoint. There'd be nothing left of most of the city but rubble, rust, and rot. I sure as hell wouldn't be finding weapons and ammo that still work. The timeline in FO3 made much more sense. I don't know. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I thought it would be a similar timeline.

I didn't change any graphics settings, the game said Ultra and I was good with it. I also have had almost no issues with the game. Now I play at 1080p and use something like a 75hz monitor but it's good to me.

Anyway, that's been my experience so far.

Sorry others have been sucking for them.

I didn't change any graphics settings, the game said Ultra and I was good with it. I also have had almost no issues with the game. Now I play at 1080p and use something like a 75hz monitor but it's good to me.

Anyway, that's been my experience so far.

Sorry others have been sucking for them.

No, you should be fine. Anything over about 85Hz causes the game to go into hyperdrive regularly and screws up the physics. Sucks when you have a 144Hz monitor and SLI.

This is the first fallout game that I regret buying. Oh well, next time I'll wait a week for more in depth data. Shame on me for not being patient enough, hopefully obsidian does the next one.

I waited until this week to play Wolfenstein New Order. I'm maybe 15 minutes into game and I guess I'm stuck already. I made 50 tries at jumping from one plane to another and nothing works. I looked up problem and people say a change of keyboard is needed or maybe a switch in jump key designation. I just want to delete game now but it took a long time to dl the 40GB pos lol.

Exactly people just bitch and complain about everything. And as you said, that is why valve has no plays for a halflife 3 as it will not make anyone happy.

Personally I have almost no issues with Fallout 4. Now I am one of the evil people playing it on the xbox one instead of the pc. In my 35 hours playing, the game has crashed once. And framerate dropped to zero once right after fast traveling to an area as it was loading everything. VATS has let me activate it 2 or 3 times when nothing was around so I had nothing to focus on, which is a minor thing. Besides that, I have had no issues. Game is 100% playable.

Honestly, this was on my MUST BUY list, but I never pre-order and always wait for reviews having been bit a few times.

Having seen multiple indepth reviews, I've decided to pass.

Wow, I can't believe people not liking 4 and liked the previous games?! They are so close. All a bit buggy, but functional. a but clunky but mod able. Basically wander around and do main and side quests. in a large sandboxy environment. Not really RPG, not FPS something in-between.
Exploration is the main draw. main story is interesting but can be irrelevant (how many people never even finished Skyrim story line?? )
The new perk system is just fine. (sounds more like hater hate new - have yet to hear a real reason it does not work)
The settlement building can be fun, just not fully baked yet.
You can make a difference and get a different story, both in the main and definitely side quests by talking different. (comparing notes with friends that handled events very differently.)
Karma is dumb (IMO) Glad this does not have it.
The game is exactly what was expected. . . how is that a bad thing?

By "lately" you mean like, the past 15 years, right?

LOL touche'.

Still it seems like with Batman and Fallout that it's a little unusual to have 2 AAA games come out one right after the other just riddled with game breaking bugs. But yeah, I should be used to it I suppose.

I think I've played 26 hours and only had 1 CTD. No real breaking bugs either, just the annoyance of being unable to keep a certain something because I escorted him first, overall it's felt like the least buggy Bethesda game I've ever played. I'm a little surprised to see so many complaints.

That said, I don't find myself as sucked in as I did in NV. The mod system is great, but the lack of weapon selection still rears it's head, and I feel like the mods aren't really that varied. You just step up to the best configuration and that's it, there's no trade off making you utilize multiple configs.

No Chinese weapons, only a single SMG? There's a severe lack of depth in what I'll find when I'm out poking around just like the ones that preceded it, and mods are going to have to energize the need to explore with more variation in loot. Some of the characters still shine, but it's a few gems in a bag of rocks.

Back