AMD Launches ‘Boltzmann Initiative’ to Dramatically Reduce Barriers to GPU Computing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Building on its strategic investments in heterogeneous system architecture (HSA), AMD announced a suite of tools designed to ease development of high-performance, energy efficient heterogeneous computing systems. The "Boltzmann Initiative" leverages HSA's ability to harness both central processing units (CPU) and AMD FirePro™ graphics processing units (GPU) for maximum compute efficiency through software. The first results of the initiative are featured this week at SC15 and include the Heterogeneous Compute Compiler (HCC); a headless Linux® driver and HSA runtime infrastructure for cluster-class, High Performance Computing (HPC); and the Heterogeneous-compute Interface for Portability (HIP) tool for porting CUDA-based applications to a common C++ programming model. The tools are designed to drive application performance across markets ranging from machine learning to molecular dynamics, and from oil and gas to visual effects and computer-generated imaging.

Yes, yes, and yes... finally.

More developer tools and support. This is a good step, now AMD needs to keep building up on this.

Hilarious how they have to make a program to try and get people to port their HPC apps from CUDA.

Makes no difference if people do not use it. I have seen so many promises from AMD over the last few years, I do not believe them anymore until I see it.

Hilarious how they have to make a program to try and get people to port their HPC apps from CUDA.

It is perhaps of some value that the tool ports from CUDA to C++. As with some of their other products, they love to trumpet that nVidia is proprietary and they are open standards-based. Of course, I think they would have gone the proprietary route if they thought they could get away with it, but they don't have the market clout.

That begs the question, though, of how optimized CUDA code is to run at maximum efficiency and performance on Tesla/Quadro hardware vs. how bloated and slow C++ may be on AMD hardware, because of the lack of customization.

All of which leads us to the following excellent point:

Makes no difference if people do not use it. I have seen so many promises from AMD over the last few years, I do not believe them anymore until I see it.

Even being open-source can't help you if you have no market traction. And being proprietary doesn't really hurt nVidia's customers--it's not like they have to pay for CUDA.

It is perhaps of some value that the tool ports from CUDA to C++.
I don't think you know anything about CUDA, especially because CUDA applications are written in C or C++.

The problem with AMD's many failed GPGPU initiatives are 1) AMD has abandoned most in favor of "something better", 2) no one writing HPC GPGPU code cares about it being multi-platform: optimizing it for one hardware platform is fine, so they completely ignore OpenCL in that field, 3) AMD does not provide the level of support or tools that Nvidia does (first class libraries and compilers, plus great 3rd party support) and instead primarily relies on contributions to open source projects, 4) AMD has crappy documentation and support for GPGPU, which leaves only crazed partisans not understanding why AMD is out in the cold for GPGPU.

Funny headline from *2* years ago (November 14th 2013):

"NVIDIA Dramatically Simplifies Parallel Programming With CUDA 6"

The big features on that release were unified CPU/GPU memory support and automatic BLAS and FFTW GPU optimizations for CPU code (drop in replace library and automagically get "up to 8x speed improvement" with no source code changes), supported on both single and multi-GPU configurations.

It is perhaps of some value that the tool ports from CUDA to C++. As with some of their other products, they love to trumpet that nVidia is proprietary and they are open standards-based. Of course, I think they would have gone the proprietary route if they thought they could get away with it, but they don't have the market clout.

Except there was a time when AMD did have the market clout and they still didn't do what Nvidia has done. Nvidia was doing proprietary even when they weren't the market leader, they have just been getting worse since they got it.

Back