System Shock Remake In The Works

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Before BioShock, there was System Shock. A recent interview suggests that even a third entry may be possible in the future.

“Night Dive is developing a full remake of the original System Shock, going well beyond the basic rerelease that launched a couple months ago. Night Dive has acquired the full rights to the franchise, and Kick says he’s been working with Robert Waters, the game’s original concept artist, to reimagine his designs from the early 1990s.”

Hope this pans out in the right way. This is one of the most influential games ever and a remake deserves to be done right. BioShock, which was supposed to to the spiritual successor, was good but really didn't carry the torch. Alien Isolation and Amneisa came close, but were ultimately different monsters.

Nobody needs another useless cash grabbing remake. Just like with the another classic Looking Glass production, Thief. What we need is System Shock 3 with original ideas adding to the lore.

Being original these days is not easy it seems. Most games seem to have better graphics but copy every one else in terms of level design, story and game play.

Lets hope they don't focus on console development. Consoles tend to dumb it down.

I never played System Shock, but I played through System Shock 2 at least 8 or 9 times. Loved the personal stories told through log files, the voice acting in those files, the two big shifts in the game. Epic, even if the graphics aged VERY badly.

I just want to say THIS IS FUCKING AWSOME
I don't even care if it is an ok port, The game was so good but didn't age well.
I tried to play it but couldn't. I think it is really good timing for the port.

Redo SS 1 and 2 with modern graphics. Include an easy mode so the casual gamers don't cry too hard, and a true to original mode for the old time fans or people looking for a challenge. Should be reasonably inexpensive compared to a completely new title. If it does well, use profits to make a real SS3. Just do not do what they did to Thief. Thief 1 and 2 are the only Thief games I actually recognize as being Thief games. The other two were just pretenders.

I never played System Shock, but I played through System Shock 2 at least 8 or 9 times. Loved the personal stories told through log files, the voice acting in those files, the two big shifts in the game. Epic, even if the graphics aged VERY badly.

I believe System Shock 2 was a very good argument that game play and story are more important that eye candy. SS2 is on my list of all time favorite PC games. I used to play it late at night with headphones on, the voices of The Many would creep me out. I liked that game so much I didn't even mind Kate Mulgrew's voice in the logs. I hope the remake of the original is worth a look.

The closest "spiritual sequel" to SS2, I think, is Dead Space. I enjoyed BioShock for what it was, but it is NOT much like System Shock that I can see. Dead Space is somewhat over the top on the gore and body horror, but those were very much elements of SS2 in their way.

Terrifying trigger events, audio logs, escalating mutations, unreliable allies, a massive exploration ship mated to a military vessel with levels switching back and forth between the two--I think I just realized that Dead Space totally rips off SS2! :cool:

I don't really know what you're talking about, the SC2 graphics look perfectly fine for 1999... alright the character models are kinda weak even for that period, but otherwise it's fine. And UI, so much better still than in todays gaming, not dumbed down and simplified for masses. I'd take that over any FPS today

It's one thing to remake crappy games, and quite another classic ones. The only reason they're even considering it is money.

I don't really know what you're talking about, the SC2 graphics look perfectly fine for 1999... alright the character models are kinda weak even for that period, but otherwise it's fine. And UI, so much better still than in todays gaming, not dumbed down and simplified for masses. I'd take that over any FPS today

It's one thing to remake crappy games, and quite another classic ones. The only reason they're even considering it is money.

For a point of comparison, consider this: Half-Life was released a year before System Shock 2. SS2 was built on the Thief engine, and you can really tell that in the character models.

Now, keep in mind I said the graphics aged badly, not that they were all that bad for the time. But one of the reasons I kept replaying SS2 was to try it out after hardware upgrades, and it was sad to see how little the models and textures improved with higher resolution and advanced effects.

Half-life did hit the point of diminishing returns eventually, but it had longer legs. More like the original Far Cry. And unlike those two franchises, we never got to see new, improved games after SS2.

For a point of comparison, consider this: Half-Life was released a year before System Shock 2. SS2 was built on the Thief engine, and you can really tell that in the character models.

Now, keep in mind I said the graphics aged badly, not that they were all that bad for the time. But one of the reasons I kept replaying SS2 was to try it out after hardware upgrades, and it was sad to see how little the models and textures improved with higher resolution and advanced effects.

Half-life did hit the point of diminishing returns eventually, but it had longer legs. More like the original Far Cry. And unlike those two franchises, we never got to see new, improved games after SS2.

Half-Life was an exception to the rule, as all the other FPSs coming out circa 1998-1999 looked pretty much the way SC2 did, or worse. To say the graphics had aged badly would pretty much also cover the whole genre of the period.

Well at least the environment is something one cannot moan too much about, whereas I look at the interior designs of something like SHOGO Mobile Armored Division today, the contrast is astoundishing...

Anyway. I play mostly only adventure games today and ignore all the rest, guess I will ignore this tooo

They acquired FULL rights?
So, System Shock 3 is actually possible now? It won't ever happen though. No small studio could do it, it would have to be a big budget project to live up to expectations.

Nobody needs another useless cash grabbing remake. Just like with the another classic Looking Glass production, Thief. What we need is System Shock 3 with original ideas adding to the lore.
System Shock is from 1994, had a low resolution, and a convoluted GUI. It's the sort of game that's IDEAL for a remake. I can't tell you how many people there are who praised Bioshock, yet haven't played any of the System Shock games.

Half-Life was an exception to the rule, as all the other FPSs coming out circa 1998-1999 looked pretty much the way SC2 did, or worse. To say the graphics had aged badly would pretty much also cover the whole genre of the period.

Well at least the environment is something one cannot moan too much about, whereas I look at the interior designs of something like SHOGO Mobile Armored Division today, the contrast is astoundishing...

Anyway. I play mostly only adventure games today and ignore all the rest, guess I will ignore this tooo

I don't seem to be getting my point across. You keep saying SC2, which makes me wonder if we are even talking about the same game.

All I'm saying is that SS2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and if I could play a version with updated models and textures, scaled toward modern standard resolutions, I would be very excited to see that. The plot, level design, voice acting, etc. could be left the same and it would still be great. Oh, and it would be nice if they redid the animated cut-scenes. Those were a blurry, chunky mess

How can you not love a game that has a robot doing the Macarena?

I don't really know why I shortened it SC like starcraft, sorry :)

What you are describing, that sounds more like a enchancement mod. Yet full reboots are just what they sound like...

Back