Feds Shut Down Phony Tech Support Scammers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's about time the feds shut these guys down.

In some cases, the fake tech support folks actually did more damage to victims’ computers, like when they would remove existing antivirus and security software, or stopped web browsers from automatically updating their security protections, or disabled Windows’ built-in notification systems designed to send security and maintenance messages to users.

The biggest issue is that most of these guys are located in countries that aren't particularly co-operative when it comes to arresting people for committing minor crimes in against residents of foreign countries.

"Steven" just called me yesterday and explained Microsoft was concerned that my machine was infected with malware.

I basically called him a Penis and hung up.

"Steven" just called me yesterday and explained Microsoft was concerned that my machine was infected with malware.

I basically called him a Penis and hung up.

Yeah, looks like this was just the companies who were posting fake ads - nothing mentioned about the scummy telephone callers.

Only 17mil? They must have been small potatoes.

I've been getting 2 or 3 people per week through my doors for the last year or so that actually let the scammers onto their computer before figuring it out. About half of those actually PAID them before thinking better of it and bringing it to me.

I wish I could say it was ALL "distinguished citizens" but it's not.

You know, high pressure telemarketers have been around longer than all but a few of us have been alive. Why is it that suddenly I'm seeing a flood of people who will let some random scumbag remote into their computer? From either a cold call or some RANDOM popup window?

Frankly, I think users were MORE savvy 5 years ago by far.

Yep my friends mom got scammed from this. And she paid them $75 with a credit card, took control over her machine.

Then they call me. I said WOW thats pretty bold, never heard of this scam before. I had to disconnect her machine from the internet, and re-install fresh copy of windows. I think she got her money back with her bank at least.

This shit is outta control, these fuckers need to go to jail for this!

You know, high pressure telemarketers have been around longer than all but a few of us have been alive. Why is it that suddenly I'm seeing a flood of people who will let some random scumbag remote into their computer? From either a cold call or some RANDOM popup window?

Frankly, I think users were MORE savvy 5 years ago by far.

Sounds like we have the same job. I've been trying to figure out how people get conned into this too. Smart, dumb, these scammers get them either way. If a random person came to their door and told them they could fix their furnace or plumbing, would they let them in?

I ask them, "how would a random person in India know you have problems with your computer?" and I get blank looks. Obviously the scammers are playing the odds, and choosing people from the list with names like "Eunice" and "Dorothy" helps, but I feel like the main reason is because the average user thinks of their computer as a magic box. They think it can maintain itself, they think corporations like Lenovo and Microsoft care about them (how quaint), and they think of the internet as a government owned digital Disneyland.

Google has unleashed this shit on us. Google Voice and the fake internet phone shit.

99% are outside the US, the government couldn't "crack down" on their own dick, let alone international scammers in the ether.

Short of the NSA tracking the signal to it's source, and the US Air Force sending a drone strike .... good luck.

I always answer ... " Who is this?"

.... "David"

.... "Nope, no David here, Click"

Back