Swedish Pirates More Likely To Buy Legal Content

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to piracy as a hobby.

As the entertainment industries catch up, fewer and fewer Swedish citizens are using unauthorized file-sharing networks. That's according to a new study which has found that just 18% of the population now engages in the hobby. Nevertheless, those that do pirate are dramatically more likely to buy legal content than those who don't.

Sooo they can rip it and upload it to a pirate site?

Maybe that's why Bank Robbers are much more likely to buy Traveler's Checks and Savings Bonds :D

I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to piracy as a hobby.

You'd be surprised. In the so called "warez" community it really has nothing to do with wanting the pirated software/games/songs.

In fact, they used to scoff at anyone actually unzipping the 100 zipped incremental rar's, and then unraring it, and looking at the content. For them it was all about being the first to have it, and the "prestige" involved.

This is why it took so long for music piracy groups to do any higher encodes than 128 CBR mp3's, because for them it wasn't about listening to it. It was the pride in being the first to distribute it.

This has changed over time though. These days this is less the case, outside of the dedicated warez groups.

Anyway, it's irrelevant to me. I found religion in paying for my content a couple of years after graduating when I realized the impact of not paying for content actually had.

It's been more than 10 years for me since I downloaded anything I shouldn't :p

Zarathustra[H];1041969542 said:
You'd be surprised. In the so called "warez" community it really has nothing to do with wanting the pirated software/games/songs.

In fact, they used to scoff at anyone actually unzipping the 100 zipped incremental rar's, and then unraring it, and looking at the content. For them it was all about being the first to have it, and the "prestige" involved.

This is why it took so long for music piracy groups to do any higher encodes than 128 CBR mp3's, because for them it wasn't about listening to it. It was the pride in being the first to distribute it.

This has changed over time though. These days this is less the case, outside of the dedicated warez groups.

Anyway, it's irrelevant to me. I found religion in paying for my content a couple of years after graduating when I realized the impact of not paying for content actually had.

Same, used to know which release groups to follow for 0day stuff. Now it just is less effort to buy the stuff I want most than to just download a bunch of crap i might want.

It was a bit more fun when it wasn't well known where to get stuff like that prior to torrent days. Now that anyone can find stuff at a fast download, its no big deal. I used to feel so entitled to software because "well I couldnt afford to buy it anyways so they never would have gotten my money".

Now I just sit on my porch listening to my legal music and tell kids to get of mah lawn!

Zarathustra[H];1041969542 said:

Yup, piracy was definitely a hobby for people for a lot of years(and it shouldn't be surprising that it still is for some).

Wayyyy back in the 2000's, I new a guy who had a closet full of CD spindles of software, music, movies, games (consoles and PCs)...anything you wanted, he had it.

It was like Pokemon, gotta collect them all.

Back