Google Now Lets You Download Maps

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google needs to take this one step further by letting you print the downloaded map. That way you can have an old school map, just like the ones that were replaced by Google Maps. ;)

You can download an area by searching for a city, county or country, for instance, and tapping "Download" on the resulting place sheet, or by going to "Offline Areas" in the Google Maps menu and tapping on the “+” button. Once downloaded, Google Maps will move into offline mode automatically when it recognizes you’re in a location with spotty service or no connectivity at all.

Well that's better - you could do this before for small areas but it was a bit tedious to do... and it would delete after a couple weeks or something :p

Nice. I go offroading quite a bit and use BackCountry Navigator for the trails but when I am done on the trail I still need a GPS that will get me back to town/gas station, this will certainly help with that.

Better then screenshots I use to do I suppose. But with screen shots you could do some markup.

I wonder if offline maps still expire after 30 days. I couldn't find any mention in the link provided.

Good! It's high time we could do this, will really help with hikes and stuff.

Now we just have to make sure people know how to read them. I showed an old road atlas to my 9 year old nephew and he was completely clueless. Too used to having Google do all the work for him, couldn't even figure out which way you'd have to turn in streets if you were walking in a certain direction.

Google needs to take this one step further by letting you print the downloaded map. That way you can have an old school map, just like the ones that were replaced by Google Maps. ;)

You can download an area by searching for a city, county or country, for instance, and tapping "Download" on the resulting place sheet, or by going to "Offline Areas" in the Google Maps menu and tapping on the “+” button. Once downloaded, Google Maps will move into offline mode automatically when it recognizes you’re in a location with spotty service or no connectivity at all.

Can i access the data with a third party (not google) program? If not, then they are no better than the Microsoft they railed against a long time ago.

Offline maps is (was?) one of the few areas where Windows phone is superior.

You've been able to do this for about 3 years. It was an experimental setting for the first 2. The problem I've always had with it, is that even with the downloaded maps it complains that you don't have an internet connection. It also does the blurry area thing until it slowly updates over 2G Edge even though you have an offline map for the area.

Back