Judge Blocks NSA Spying And Sets An Important Precedent

HardOCP News

[H] News
The NSA’s controversial phone records collection program has been ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge today.

US District Judge Richard Leon’s decision to end the collection is a victory for the plaintiffs in the case and for civil liberties groups who have been asserting that the program was unconstitutional since it was first exposed by Edward Snowden in 2013. But while the ruling is important in principle for what it says about the legality of the program, its practical importance is minimal since the ruling only applies to the two plaintiffs who brought suit against the NSA—Larry Klayman, a conservative legal activist, and his business.

They'll continue doing it, They'll just use a more covert and inconspicuous method.

They won't stop their surveillance until we pry the monitoring devices/ controllers from their cold, dead hands.

So, class action suit next?
I guess this is the only chance at getting it to apply across the board in the public spectrum. It also just reaffirms to me the importance of making sure that the government doesn't get its greedy corrupt overreaching hands on (any) backdoor keys to encryption. They've long proved they can't be trusted to always do the right thing even if they have a seemingly good excuse to do so a the beginning. They ask for more power for one specific thing then end up using it for all kinds of evil shit.

Privacy > (claimed) Security.

Class action lawsuit from the govt on a secret program sounds like a self defeating process, you're gonna win money from yourself. Dunno how there is any way to win this.

wouldn't the president just use an executive order to void the judgement on the grounds of national security?

Class action lawsuit from the govt on a secret program sounds like a self defeating process, you're gonna win money from yourself. Dunno how there is any way to win this.

Not as a monetary damages claim, but to stop the process.

The reminds me of a story from last week, when it was announced that Chelsea Manning drafted a 139 page surveillance reform bill.

I have conflicted views of this. Part of me doesn't give a rats if the government has a program listening to me to determine if I'm a terrorist. However, the other part wonders what that information is used for or COULD be used for in an effort against me or the populace. You need information to catch criminals and terrorists and it wouldn't be a stretch to say that you need free access to that info to catch the latter.

No easy answer.

Does anyone really think this is going to change anything?

Back