LM3D Swim Is The First 3D-Printed Car You Can Buy

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Cool tech, but for $53,000, I think I would just buy a regular car.

Local Motors plans to offer pre-sales of the Swim next spring with a target price of around $53,000. The first deliveries would begin in early 2017. The company isn't talking about a powertrain yet but promises the vehicle to be "safe, smart, and sustainable."

Potentially you can produce a superior vehicle with this method in terms of safety and efficiency so I'm curiously following this. Not a bad early concept for sure.

The good thing about 3d printing is that you don't need to build an assembly line, which is where most of the cost of cars come from. And this way you can make every car completely unique, tailor made, you just change a few parameters and it's done. And of course you can add new features or improvements on the fly without interrupting the manufacturing process or cost.

Eventually everything will be made using printing, even food. Universal constructor here we come.

Time to download a car. Anyone with a $1 million dollar 3D printer? It's a free car. ;)

At least it cost a lot more to manufacture than a pair of Sennheiser headphones selling for $55,000.00.

Oh good. A regular car, but with extremely heavy, fragile, and rough body panels.

Back