Elon Musk Admits Humans Can’t Be Trusted With Tesla’s Autopilot

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’d have thought Mr. Musk would have been smart enough not to underestimate human stupidity or craftiness.

Musk didn’t mention any specific “constraints” that will be added to make the autonomous driving feature safer. One obvious upgrade would be to require that someone be sitting in the driver’s seat. As this video of a Tesla driving itself with no one at the wheel on a private road shows, the system requires only that the driver’s side seatbelt be clicked in, even though the driver’s seat has an “occupancy sensor.”

I dunno when I got too much stuff in my bag and put it on the passenger side it warns me that the seatbelt needs to be on there.

Whats with the specific quote? With car auto-driving, I was under the impression that we were moving towards having cars drive without anyone in it.

So for example, when I go to work - Instead of paying $30/day for parking - I can just tell my car to go back home, or go to a specific garage or parking lot.

I thought the entire purpose of a self driving car was so it could drive me to wherever I needed to be, drop me off at the front door, go find itself a parking spot, then come pick me up when I text it to.

I really, really want a self driving Merc Sprinter Van R/V for my bi-weekly 3 hour commute to Dallas. Hell, I would just get in it and go to bed the night b4, give it orders to take off at midnight when traffic is low, and wake up the next morning at my destination in Dallas.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity". - Elon Musk, probably.

Whats with the specific quote? With car auto-driving, I was under the impression that we were moving towards having cars drive without anyone in it.

So for example, when I go to work - Instead of paying $30/day for parking - I can just tell my car to go back home, or go to a specific garage or parking lot.

Eventually maybe, but certainly not with the current Tesla autopilot, which is why they're freaking out lol.

One bad accident because of such shenanigans outside the scope of the product and it'll be a nightmare PR that could even affect the future of the feature - or even automated driving in general.

Eventually maybe, but certainly not with the current Tesla autopilot, which is why they're freaking out lol.

One bad accident because of such shenanigans outside the scope of the product and it'll be a nightmare PR that could even affect the future of the feature - or even automated driving in general.

I wouldn't worry about that. For the average person driving to work is work too, they'd be happy to waste that time on facebook too. Laziness will always come out as victor over fear of the new technology.

I thought the entire purpose of a self driving car was so it could drive me to wherever I needed to be, drop me off at the front door, go find itself a parking spot, then come pick me up when I text it to.

This is a driver assist feature, basically just a step up from cruise control.

This is not meant to be a full self driving car, and it isn't programed to be able to handle every possible issue that might happen. These idiots are just being idiots.

This is a driver assist feature, basically just a step up from cruise control.

This is not meant to be a full self driving car, and it isn't programed to be able to handle every possible issue that might happen. These idiots are just being idiots.

I get that, but until we have real self driving cars, they may need to limit these driver aids. In other words, because people are stupid, it needs to be all, or little to nothing.
Sad I know.

Back