Activision Blizzard Launches Studios To Create Original Film And TV Content

HardOCP News

[H] News
Activision Blizzard today announced the launch of Activision Blizzard Studios, a new film and television studio devoted to creating original content based on the company's extensive library of iconic and globally-recognized intellectual properties. Activision Blizzard's owned content includes some of the most popular entertainment franchises in the world, including Call of Duty®, Skylanders®, Diablo®, Hearthstone® and StarCraft®. Former Disney executive Nick van Dyk has been tapped to co-head the division, along with a senior creative executive who will be announced soon.

Activision Blizzard Studios' first production will be "Skylanders™ Academy," an animated TV series based on the award-winning Skylanders® game. Currently in production under the supervision of showrunner Eric Rogers ("Futurama"), "Skylanders™ Academy" will feature the voices of Justin Long ("Alvin and the Chipmunks," "Ask Me Anything") as Spyro, Ashley Tisdale ("Phineas and Ferb," "High School Musical") as Stealth Elf, Jonathan Banks ("Breaking Bad," "Better Call Saul") as Eruptor and Norm Macdonald ("Saturday Night Live") as Glumshanks. Additional voice talent includes Harland Williams and Richard Horvitz. The award-winning, $3 billion Skylanders® franchise has sold through more than 250 million toys since pioneering the toys-to-life category in 2011i.

Well, as long as they don't go the way of Squaresoft with "The Spirits Within."

But always wanted Blizzard to make a movie - and they almost did one way back in the day but that was canceled (after they did had a bunch of promos on some of the games that came out - heck, i think it was on the first Startcraft game CD - have to look for it now) - with the Movie coming out next year... lets hope they put the money to good use and didn't just throw it away :)

Wish Bethesda would do this too ... I agree that these high profile game properties could all make excellent books/movies/TV series ... games I would like to see in series form:

Diablo
Starcraft
Warcraft
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Doom
Wolfenstein

Teams up with netflix? Seriously whobis going to show the shows?

Teams up with netflix? Seriously whobis going to show the shows?

Netflix is certainly a possibility, but Amazon is also developing new shows ... also, I suspect YouTube is going to want to get in this business to encourage their subscription service ... and Hulu is now starting to do their own content as well ... even some of the cable networks like AMC, FX, and A&E might be up for this ... lots of possibilities for well produced programs

Wish Bethesda would do this too ... I agree that these high profile game properties could all make excellent books/movies/TV series ... games I would like to see in series form:

Diablo
Starcraft
Warcraft
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Doom
Wolfenstein

There are already very good Warcraft/Starcraft book/novel series available. Definitely worth a read.
Not sure about the others....there are a couple of Elder Scrolls novels but holy shit are they TERRIBLE.

Back