GLOBALFOUNDRIES Achieves 14nm FinFET Technology Success for Next-Generation AMD Produ

HardOCP News

[H] News
GLOBALFOUNDRIES today announced it has demonstrated silicon success on the first AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) products using GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ most advanced 14nm FinFET process technology. As a result of this milestone, GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ silicon-proven technology is planned to be integrated into multiple AMD products that address the growing need for high-performance, power-efficient compute and graphics technologies across a broad set of applications, from personal computers to data centers to immersive computing devices.

AMD has taped out multiple products using GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ 14nm Low Power Plus (14LPP) process technology and is currently conducting validation work on 14LPP production samples. Today’s announcement represents another significant milestone towards reaching full production readiness of GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ 14LPP process technology, which will reach high-volume production in 2016. The 14LPP platform taps the benefits of three-dimensional, fully-depleted FinFET transistors to enable customers like AMD to deliver more processing power in a smaller footprint for applications that demand the ultimate in performance.

I'm not sure I'm ready for this amazing Next-Generation AMD Produ.

I'll stick with my Current-Generation AMD Produ, thank you very much!

Hopefully this 14nm FinFET process will live up to expectations, and not be like the Samsung / TSMC issue, where the same chip uses more power on Samsungs 14nm process than on TSMC's 16nm process.

I feel like the process shrinks have gone far enough now that differences in implementation can have more of an impact than pure process node size.

A well implemented 16nm process can perform better than a poorly implemented 14nm process.

Here's hoping that GF's 14nm process is a good 14nm process.

Back