ASUS Maximus VIII Gene

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tired of your old motherboard? Ready to throw it out the window? Overclockers Club says the ASUS Maximus VIII Gene might be the solution to your problems.

First, the performance delivered by the Maximus VIII Gene is going to fall in the same small envelope when running at stock speeds. That's a given in this day and age when motherboards are so well built and tuned from the factory. It's where you go from there that really makes a board such as this from ASUS' ROG product stack a worthwhile investment. If you do not plan to at least use ASUS AI Suite III or EZ Tune utility for some free CPU horsepower, you can still enjoy the rest of the features that make this board a great choice for a gaming centric build.

I've owned a Maximus Gene-Z IV since this board came out and I my 2500K has been overclocked at 4.5Ghz since then. I did manage to hit 5Ghz but the temps were too high for my comfort. The board has been so solid that I haven't had any reason to upgrade to a newer version of this board or any upgrades really. Although I did upgrade the video card to a 780ti to keep up with the latest demanding games. Such a great board!

I've owned a Maximus Gene-Z IV since this board came out and I my 2500K has been overclocked at 4.5Ghz since then. I did manage to hit 5Ghz but the temps were too high for my comfort. The board has been so solid that I haven't had any reason to upgrade to a newer version of this board or any upgrades really. Although I did upgrade the video card to a 780ti to keep up with the latest demanding games. Such a great board!

Yeah I'm a fan of these boards too. Had a Gene-Z IV, then upgraded to a V to run a i5-3570k @ 4.5 24/7. Have had my eye on Gene VIII just to get on latest/greatest Skylake, but the big cash outlay for what will be really no tangible difference in my daily computing is holding me back.

I just finished my new mini monster build with this board. It is a nice board but it does have a few quirks ASUS needs to fix. For the most part it has been solid. Hopefully ASUS will get them squashed in the next BIOS update.

Picture without Video card installed.

http://1drv.ms/1lb8K5m

Last edited:
"Packed full of features, much like the Maximus VIII Hero"

Actually, of the VIII ROG boards, the Gene feature set is closer to the Extreme and Impact than it is to the Hero and Ranger. Here are some features it has that the latter two don't;

1. More USB 3 ports
2. Externally accessible CMOS reset button
3. Probelt voltage measurement test points (Vcore, IO,SA,DRAM etc., page 53 in the manual)

Back