Blizzard Hiring Senior Software Engineer

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you have what it takes to help bring older Blizzard games to newer operating systems, you should apply for this job.

Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation. We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

Would beat running XP as a VM etc etc.

They could have done this years ago, I'd still be playing Diablo2.

Hopefully this means iOS and Android versions of Diablo and D2 and Warcrafts I, II, and III ... I would buy all of those if they are released in iOS iPad versions ... if they released an updated version of Diablo or D2 for PC with modern graphics I would repurchase both as well

I install this http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide
Then I run D2VidTst.exe with XP SP2 compat, select 3dfx Glide and Diablo 2 runs fine in Windows 10 for me.

Yeah, you can run DII fine with a number of Glide wrappers. I last ran it on Win7 x64 without too many problems.

Out of curiosity, do you have any issues with random crashes? I had a few with my last Glide render, so I'm looking for one that's more stable.

Hopefully this means iOS and Android versions of Diablo and D2 and Warcrafts I, II, and III ... I would buy all of those if they are released in iOS iPad versions ... if they released an updated version of Diablo or D2 for PC with modern graphics I would repurchase both as well

agreed. Would love a casual game of warcraft while on lunch break!

Legit RTS games on ipad would be nice. WC1-3 on iPad, I would definitely pick up. I always felt the touch screen was a better way to play RTS than mouse and kb. Never really got into starcraft much, but if it came out w/ a solid touch interface, I'm sure I would try it out.

What about the first Diablo? Is it stuck in publisher hell, or what?

What about the first Diablo? Is it stuck in publisher hell, or what?

Man I wish I could bring that feeling back. But it was both the game and never having experienced something like it before, being younger, etc...sigh.

Just wish they would bring back the edgier, darker feel instead of cartoon Blizzard. :(

Man I wish I could bring that feeling back. But it was both the game and never having experienced something like it before, being younger, etc...sigh.

Just wish they would bring back the edgier, darker feel instead of cartoon Blizzard. :(

Don't hate on whimseydale....

I don't mind the look of D3. I think I really just want a necromancer class to get back the evil feeling again that D2 gave me. The music was creepier in 1 and 2 i feel as well.

Mephistos voice.....my god *hides under the bed*

D3 still is too cartoony for me. I've still put in a hell of a lot of hours, it's a fun game, but still does nothing to give me the scared feeling of the Butcher chasing you all over the damn place in D1, or the first time you enter the Hell levels...

D3 still is too cartoony for me. I've still put in a hell of a lot of hours, it's a fun game, but still does nothing to give me the scared feeling of the Butcher chasing you all over the damn place in D1, or the first time you enter the Hell levels...

That might also be a difficult thing to do. I was 15 when D1 came out. Game was super creepy, but compare it also do what else was out at the time. No one really wanted to touch darker themes (3drealms did decent at it thought). I feel for a current version of diablo to be able to give that feeling to a matured audience that has since played lots of games, it would have to cross into the feeling of that game Hatred.

Also I think death has no impact, gold is pointless and too easy to collect. I wont play hardmode just do to it being connected to a server makes me uneasy with lag spikes or my internet dropping. Maybe we need the corpse run after death. Death is D3 is a 5 second wait and nothing more. Boss fight is the only restart point.

WarCraft/StarCraft without a mouse and a keyboard? What's next, Quake on a smart phone? What is wrong with you people? Please explain.

That might also be a difficult thing to do. I was 15 when D1 came out. Game was super creepy, but compare it also do what else was out at the time. No one really wanted to touch darker themes (3drealms did decent at it thought). I feel for a current version of diablo to be able to give that feeling to a matured audience that has since played lots of games, it would have to cross into the feeling of that game Hatred.

Oh yeah, definitely acknowledge that it wasn't just the game itself, it was that it hadn't been done before, I was much younger, etc etc etc. Just was waxing nostalgic that I couldn't recapture that feeling somehow. ;)

Oh yeah, definitely acknowledge that it wasn't just the game itself, it was that it hadn't been done before, I was much younger, etc etc etc. Just was waxing nostalgic that I couldn't recapture that feeling somehow. ;)

I can fully agree. D1 and D2 caused me to lose sleep. I love D3 and play a lot, but for some reason I get sleepy playing it. Might be just me but it does feel more button mashy than the others.

Back