U.S. Office Of Personnel Management Victim Of Large Scale Data Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
Instead of concentrating on "response to cyberattacks," our government really should be working on better defenses to prevent attacks in the first place.

The Office of Personnel Management appointed a new cyber and information technology adviser on Wednesday, part of its plan to strengthen cybersecurity after hackers compromised the personal information of 21 million federal workers. Clifton Triplett, who has advised Fortune 200 companies in a range of industries and has a military background, will help coordinate the agency's response to cyberattacks and complete its plan to mitigate future incidents.

Sorry Steve, but good link all the same :)

Clifton Triplett, who has advised Fortune 200 companies in a range of industries and has a military background, will help coordinate the agency's response to cyberattacks and complete its plan to mitigate future incidents, OPM said in a statement.

You don't actually understand what you read very often do you?

The article isn't announcing the cyber attack, it's announcing the hiring of a new Cyber and IT Adviser.

U.S. OPM, victim of large scale data hack, hires new cyber adviser

You don't actually understand what you read very often do you?

The article isn't announcing the cyber attack, it's announcing the hiring of a new Cyber and IT Adviser.

Oh I understand that clearly, but the title of the news post and title of the thread aren't addressing the article. They're addressing the event. It's definitely misleading.

Oh I understand that clearly, but the title of the news post and title of the thread aren't addressing the article. They're addressing the event. It's definitely misleading.

Agreed. I had some confusion as I thought the title + Steve's statement led me to believe there was another attack. The blockquote was talking about the new hire. You been drinking a tad early Steve? ;)

Steve's title for the news post is inaccurate, true. The headline for the article is typically misleading for the media these days. But the detail was there. If you actually read it and don't jump to conclusions.

Then again, my post, the first response, suggests this article isn't about the hack itself and even Steve's comment on the article suggests this is about something else related to the hack, not the announcement of the hack happening.

Hell, I just got our letter on Monday this week. My entire family get's Identity Theft Protection for like the next two years or something.

They got my info, I do have a clearance, my shits in the wind :mad:

I shouldn't be surprised, I'm on an IT contract now where the contractors working it were all fucked up. Why should I expect better out of the non-DoD parts of the government when even the DoD elements are screwed up.

Just got my notice in the mail on Monday or Tuesday that my information was 'potentially exposed'. I guess I could type it out if anyone was THAT interested.....I think they're offering some sort of identity protection for a couple years. My bank card got skimmed or hacked or something not too long ago....bank shut the card off after a couple random purchases were made on the other side of the country....was only out like 5 bucks so...good job bank.

Just got my notice in the mail on Monday or Tuesday that my information was 'potentially exposed'. I guess I could type it out if anyone was THAT interested.....I think they're offering some sort of identity protection for a couple years. My bank card got skimmed or hacked or something not too long ago....bank shut the card off after a couple random purchases were made on the other side of the country....was only out like 5 bucks so...good job bank.

Same sort of thing happened to me but the charges showed up on the last day of a business trip to Vegas where I used my card all over so I suspect a standard information credit theft somewhere I used my card and not something else.

Back