GIGABYTE Motherboards With Intel Thunderbolt 3 Support Expands

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd, a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, is pleased to announce that its support for Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 has expanded with the certification by Intel of the GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming G1, GA-Z170X-Gaming GT, and GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboards.

Users that wish to upgrade their motherboard can download an updated version of the firmware from GIGABYTE’s website. Once the user installs the updated firmware, Thunderbolt™ 3 support will be enabled on the motherboard. Powered by Intel’s own Thunderbolt™ 3 controller, the new Thunderbolt™ 3 protocol, which is available over a USB Type-C™ connector on the back I/O of select motherboards, brings an unprecedented single-wire bandwidth of up to 40 Gb/s -- twice more than the previous generation!

Thunderbolt™ 3 over USB Type-C™ supports DisplayPort 1.2, which is able to drive a 4K resolution display at 60 FPS, and revolutionary industry-first features such as power delivery up to 36W, as well as the ability to daisy-chain up to 6 devices per USB Type-C port. Support for Thunderbolt™ 3 on the GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming G1, GA-Z170X-Gaming GT, and GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboards opens up a world of new possibilities thanks to the bandwidth that it provides. Users can download the updated firmware today to enable support on their motherboard.

Cool, will download this one.

in last paragraph it says it supports Display , but i though that the Gigabyte board`s Thunderbolt supports only storage devices

Will be interesting to see if SOC Force joins this list in the future (if it bloody ever gets released...)

Cool, will download this one.

in last paragraph it says it supports Display , but i though that the Gigabyte board`s Thunderbolt supports only storage devices

there's no limitation to storage-only.

For example, if you want 4K display resolutions with 60hz you most probably connect through TB3 on a Gigabyte board.
most HDMI connections only allow 4K @ 30hz because they're based on HDMI 1.4 standard.

I don't see the point in HDMI unless you are connecting to a TV and don't have the option of Display Port. Display port is far superior to HDMI

It would be nice if TVs embraced either Display port or Thunderbolt. The daisy chain aspect of Thunderbolt is nice for sure.

Back