Facebook Goes Slooow With '2G Tuesdays'

HardOCP News

[H] News
We hear that, if this is a success, Facebook will start a new program called "withhold your wages Wednesday" so workers will know what it's like to work in places like China.

The social network has launched an internal program called "2G Tuesdays" to give its workers a sense of the very slow Internet connections in developing countries like India and elsewhere in Asia, as well as in Africa.

Really Zuckerberg?!? Is taking a dump slower too? Do the toilets flush slower too? Does the water coming out of the faucet come out in slow motion? Frickin dipsh*t.

They should pair that up with a streamlined site that doesn't run dogass slow on a "2G" connection. Internet speeds are relative to the content, my friends

They should have a burn your own shit day, drink contaminated water and questionable food day. Lets really get the 3rd world experience.

They should pair that up with a streamlined site that doesn't run dogass slow on a "2G" connection. Internet speeds are relative to the content, my friends

^ this.

When 2G was current, it felt fast. Hell webpages loaded pretty quick on my 56k modem at the time. No not the current content of these bloated pages nowadays.

Actually, according to the article this is really more about debugging and testing services using a wider range of employees and varying use conditions ... short of trying to establish an effective feedback loop for the billion+ Facebook users this should allow them to identify features or programming that don't work well with slow connections so they can offer effective alternatives

Although I can't stand Zuckerberg (would love to debate him in RL - I don't use FB btw), it could be an effective tool I suppose. Probably going to save them a bunch of money on bandwidth to...that might even be the real goal.

Really Zuckerberg?!? Is taking a dump slower too? Do the toilets flush slower too? Does the water coming out of the faucet come out in slow motion? Frickin dipsh*t.

No, don't be absurd. They cross contaminate the freshwater with the sewer water so that way it appropriately simulates living in these other countries.

Slower faucets ... Pffft.

:)

Although I can't stand Zuckerberg (would love to debate him in RL - I don't use FB btw), it could be an effective tool I suppose. Probably going to save them a bunch of money on bandwidth to...that might even be the real goal.

Bandwidth? I doubt Facebook has a data cap. They likely pay a flat rate, regardless of usage.

Voluntary at login, lasts about an hour, to test. Not sure what the fuss is about.
"Sorry I didn't get much work done this AM. I logged into the 2G account and spent all my free/waiting time on my smarty." Heh, smarty.. Just pulled that one out of my ass.

My mind can't even compute the stupidity of these hipster silicon valley companies sometimes.

Actually it comes out quicker because of dysentery.

Hey Zuck, try to learn Chinese more and maybe they will let u into China, roflol, NOT

They should have a burn your own shit day, drink contaminated water and questionable food day. Lets really get the 3rd world experience.
You beat me to it. They should power the building that day by burning coal with high sulfur content too if they want to be more authentic.

^ this.

When 2G was current, it felt fast. Hell webpages loaded pretty quick on my 56k modem at the time. No not the current content of these bloated pages nowadays.

Back then almost everything was just one or two hosts that you were dealing with

Today, webpages can have 20+ connections from outside of the URL you are attempting to reach. Advertisers, data collectors, image servers, tools, sister sites, etc. so a 56K connection / 2g connection just gets completely timed out even trying to load such a page

I went through slower internet, 9600 baud is slower than 2g, did zuckerberg even ever have dialup?

This. So many sites today are loaded with garbage javascript and are slow regardless.... Facebook being one of them, I find it's been pretty terrible lately and you have to refresh a lot. Typically I just leave when it's that slow.

I don't use, need or want Facebook, but I'm not sure where all this hate is coming from. If used as a development tool it could well help pinpoint bottle necks in the user experience, even if you have a fast internet connection it could help especially with all the programs these days throwing in their telemetry to slow things down--getting rid of bottle necks is good thing. Considering the number of people who use Facebook then if they reduce bottlenecks it might help in areas where the internet connections, especially in daytime, are congested (yes we need better infrastructure but until then anything that helps even a little is welcome).

I wish more companies would consider that not everyone has fast and unlimited data connections even right here in the good old USA (and don't tell me they should get satellite, it's expense and often you can't play videos and it's capped pretty low, 5GB for a $70/mo plan is typical, and you need unobstructed view to the south).

I have relatives living in south east asia, I already know what a slow internet connection is like.

They compare the internet there to the internet here in America, the same way we compare our internet to the internet in other countries with faster connections like South Korea.

Funny how they don't mention New Zealand, Australia and other places with crap rural 'broadband'. Which has numbers fudged to show a few mbit but in reality it's barely dialup during the day, especially peaks.

I see this as a good excuse for Facebook workers to not get anything done everyTuesday.

Actually, according to the article this is really more about debugging and testing services using a wider range of employees and varying use conditions ... short of trying to establish an effective feedback loop for the billion+ Facebook users this should allow them to identify features or programming that don't work well with slow connections so they can offer effective alternatives

Pretty much exactly this. As a website/app developer, I wish my own workplace would do this, so that my co-workers (and other teammates) had more appreciation for svelte data and load times.

Bandwidth? I doubt Facebook has a data cap. They likely pay a flat rate, regardless of usage.

It's not just about that, it's also about storage and data transferred. I have no idea how they pay for data, it was just a thought.

I don't use, need or want Facebook, but I'm not sure where all this hate is coming from.

Not really hate, more like pity or disgust.

Now if someone were to crashed into my car while posting a selfie on Facebook from their iPhone......

I might have to plead temporary insanity :)

The social network has launched an internal program called "2G Tuesdays" to give its workers a sense of the very slow Internet connections in developing countries like India and elsewhere in Asia, as well as in Africa.

what about like.... 1/2 the USA that only have dial up or shit DSL?

Back