MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning 6GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at techPowerUP have published a review of the MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning 6GB video card this afternoon. You can see our evaluation here for comparison purposes.

MSI's new GTX 980 Ti Lightning is amazing. It's the fastest, quietest and coolest GTX 980 Ti we ever tested. All at the same time! What a fantastic product, if only the price was lower. Clocking in at $780, it's over $150 more expensive than the cheapest GTX 980 Ti variants.

Not worth the money. Seriously. I don't see what the benefit is over my 770GTX.

I agree this particular model isn't really worth the money but it's over twice as fast as the GTX 770.

Amazing temp/noise/OC results in their review.

I love lightning cards. Had a 770 lightning.. So cool and quiet. But the 970 is a much better card.

The Lightning at $780 is not too bad of a deal if you compare it to the ridiculous Kingpin that starts at $850. Quality components aside, the Lightning is the only other card besides the Classy/Kingpin to offer software control of memory and PLL voltage, which comes in handy if you're trying to tweak out every last MHz.

Of course if you're just a gamer who doesn't care for tweaking hardware then the Lightning is definitely not for you.

Then you might as well get a Classified. The LE is basically a failed Lightning which means you're guaranteed to get a dud of an overclocker, and at $699 is not an attractive proposition at all.

Then you might as well get a Classified. The LE is basically a failed Lightning which means you're guaranteed to get a dud of an overclocker, and at $699 is not an attractive proposition at all.
It's no different than Classified vs Kingpin.
Perhaps EVGA is putting duds into the Classy? :rolleyes:

Ummm you do know the reason LE versions of cards exist is because they failed to pass the bin for the Lightning card right? So if they can't even do Lightning clocks at reasonable volts, how well do you think they'll respond to overclocking?

The Kingpin is basically pre-binned for better ASIC, and the Classified you're still subject to the same silicon lottery as everyone else. With LE you have "reverse binning" where they take the lowest of the pile and sell them for cheaper.

memory as Kingpin which is Samsung memory. Retail versions have only Hynix. Hence difference but one thing Lightning trumps is heat. It runs cooler than most ti's. I have 2 Lightnings and happy with purchase and saving for a really good lcd (Either Asus or Acer with g-sync IPS).

Back