Another Steam User Record Set

11 million is a big number......

but on that day, how many people were using a PS4 or an XBone?

11 million is a big number......

but on that day, how many people were using a PS4 or an XBone?

PS4 sales were 25.3m in June so they might be 28-30m by now. XBone might be 12.5m by now.

Steam has over 125m active users.

I meant to also say...

The PS4 probably has 5-6m PS+ subscribers by now (seeing as how game features are often hidden behind that paywall) so it wouldn't surprise me if concurrent users hits the 3-4m mark and around 1-2m concurrent users for the Xbox.
Given the much high percentage of free & indie games on Steam it wouldn't surprise me if the PC & Console market values were similar or possibly higher on consoles.

I meant to also say...

The PS4 probably has 5-6m PS+ subscribers by now (seeing as how game features are often hidden behind that paywall) so it wouldn't surprise me if concurrent users hits the 3-4m mark and around 1-2m concurrent users for the Xbox.
Given the much high percentage of free & indie games on Steam it wouldn't surprise me if the PC & Console market values were similar or possibly higher on consoles.

Except it's not "free & indie's" that occupy most of the top 10 or a top 50 games being played on Steam.

Sorry, Steam is crushing the new consoles.

Except it's not "free & indie's" that occupy most of the top 10 or a top 50 games being played on Steam.

Of course free&indie aren't the majority of the "top" games and I never suggested that they were but I'm betting Steam has a very long tail.

In terms of users sure but total revenue might be different.

Almost as many people on Steam at one time as even own an Xbox One, and Steam is just one of many PC digital distribution platforms. Yep, PC gaming is definitely dying.

Wow, epeen numbers to the rescue! Go go steam power, Choo, Chooo....! :D

Ob post!

It is now official. Netcraft has confirmed: Steam is dying. One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered PC gaming community when IDC confirmed that Valve's market share has dropped yet again ...

Wrong.

Steam does not default to auto starting with Windows. Sorry, sparky.

That does not change that fact that a lot of people use Steam to communicate with friends and are logged in even when not playing games. I do not have Steam set to start when windows starts but I do login almost everyday even if I have no intent of playing a game. There are a number of people I have met through playing games that I only communicate with through Steam. For a lot a people Steam is like the new AIM or similar instant messaging client.

^ Cool, I'm sure many people use the IM features, but my reply was to the statement "Most of those are not even playing games" - - the game stats say otherwise.

That said, it's a little bizarre that some PC gamers are intent on trying to downplay Steam's growth. But it's really not a debate, it's growing no matter which stats you look at.

You're comparing members on an app that has been out over a decade to hardware that isn't even 3 years old. A good amount of those concurrent players are not playing a game but simply leaving the software running in the background. I don't see many people simply leaving their consoles on and doing much else aside from gaming. Likewise, a good number of people use Steam as a chatting app on their phone meaning a good amount of that number can't even play PC games at the moment.

The numbers are impressive, but lets not overstate it either.

You're comparing members on an app that has been out over a decade to hardware that isn't even 3 years old. A good amount of those concurrent players are not playing a game but simply leaving the software running in the background. I don't see many people simply leaving their consoles on and doing much else aside from gaming. Likewise, a good number of people use Steam as a chatting app on their phone meaning a good amount of that number can't even play PC games at the moment.

The numbers are impressive, but lets not overstate it either.

Nothing is being overstated. That the consoles break backward compatibility and start from scratch every cycle is their problem.

The takeaway here is that developers continue to see PC gaming as a viable development platform, rather than being console-focused with PC as an afterthought. For many years that wasn't the case (and some would argue, still isn't).

Nothing is being overstated. That the consoles break backward compatibility and start from scratch every cycle is their problem.

It is a problem because it isn't a logical comparison for a number of reasons:

1) Comparing peak users signed into a service at a single moment VS sales of hardware. The comparison itself is flawed in the first place.

2) The comparison was between the current gen consoles, which have not been out for very long. You're essentially stating that time on the market is irrelevant. Using this logic we can move to day one of the console launch and claim the 1 million or less hardware sales indicate a massive failure of the platforms. However, it is important to note the rate of attachment seems to have been higher for the current gen consoles than Steam was at launch.

3) The only real valid comparison would be to show how many active users are in games in their respective services:

PSN
Xbox Live
Steam

Given that Playstation is still by far the biggest platform for AAA titles Steam still has a long way to go. Although it is important to note that a number of modern PC games have Steam alternatives (like GOG) meaning Steam itself isn't a proper indication of how PC gaming is doing.

One only has to look at recent reports, like Ubisoft's in which the PS4 on averaged moved almost twice as many copies as the PC (including digital sales) in recent titles. And that was during a console transition time, which tends to be weaker for console game sales. Now that this generation is up and started I won't be surprised if that number grows more in favor of the consoles.

Even formerly PC centric CD Projekt only had about 1/3 of Witcher 3 sales on PC:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-w...-copies-1-3-million-were-from-the-pc-version/

Once again, showing that among AAA or big budget games the consoles are still at the top. Not sure why this surprises people. The average gamer doesn't know or care about specs and will willingly go for a cheaper $300-400 piece of hardware that they need to know nothing about. They may realize the experience is inferior to a PC but they don't care.

It's been over a month and I still can't buy anything on the Steam store. I can play, I just can't buy. Customer service has not responded once in the month+.

Steam may be doing well in numbers of people online, but there is a huge problem with customer service not helping people with compromised accounts.

It's been over a month and I still can't buy anything on the Steam store. I can play, I just can't buy. Customer service has not responded once in the month+.

Steam may be doing well in numbers of people online, but there is a huge problem with customer service not helping people with compromised accounts.

Interesting.

When I lost access to my steosons account, I heard back from them within a day, and after a few back and forths providing evidence, we had his account back.

Back