Lawsuit Accuses Apple iOS 9 Wi-Fi Assist Of Burning Through $5M+ In Data

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What about “Automatically use cellular data when Wi-Fi connectivity is poor” do people not understand? It’s a shame that illiterates are able to initiate lawsuits.

Some who don't understand how Wi-Fi Assist works, or even that it exists, have alleged that the new feature has caused them to use more cellular data than anticipated. But the new class-action suit alleges it should be Apple who should reimburse customers for any overages.

I wonder if bad naming might come into play here. We've all been told to make sure your using wi-fi and now there's an option with "Wi-Fi" sitting there that most people want turned off.

If it were called "Mobile Data Failover" or something like that I wonder if that would of helped.

Is this even an option most people would want? I know I wouldn't want my phone using up cell data when I thought I was connected to wifi. Maybe a pop-up with some text saying I cannot get that website because the wifi is slow and an allow to use cellular button for a duration.

problem is wi-fi assit was turned on by default.

And this is the only statement that matters, and why Apple needs to not make brand-damaging mistakes like this.

You guys flirting with the "blame the victim" approach here are on the wrong path.

There are way to many people in this world that should not be allowed near a computer and never touch a smart phone. There not smart enough to even get out of there own way!

problem is wi-fi assit was turned on by default.

Absolutely why the lawsuit is warranted. While auditing our company Verizon bill. The combined data usage has gone up considerably for the 38 phones on our plan since this "feature" was added. Some users see almost double the usage.

Now, the quality of service this feature offers is fine, but for those who cannot exceed data limits, this isn't good. Why it was enabled by default, who knows.

And what exactly is considered "poor" Wi-Fi. Unless it's dropping down to like 20KB/s, really sticking with WiFi is fine. I imagine the vast majority of mobile users in America do not have unlimited Cellular data.

I do not want it to simple compares speeds and say:
WiFi getting 2.0MB/s
Cellular Getting 3.5MB/s
--> Use Cellular

Apple knows what's best for you, shut up and blame de customer. K?

First of all, the seller, Apple or their licensed seller, should explain features and what they do to the customer.
What is wrong with making a simple youtube video discussing the major features of the phone?

Then if the customer isn't smart enough to watch said video and turn off some features, it's their fault.

A class action will net the customer a 3 dollar voucher.
But it's the American way, I'm stupid so it's someone else's fault.

Within a week of this coming out most major companies notified all employees to turn this of ASAP, the cost increase was large for companies that provide phones to employees.

First of all, the seller, Apple or their licensed seller, should explain features and what they do to the customer.

The majority of Apple users I know would never under stand what this feature does, no mater how well it was explained.

Maybe they should have called it "Check here to double your cell phone bill"

This is also why I would never want a cell phone plan that charges extra when I go over my limited data plan. I prefer the way T-Mobile just slows down the data if you go over.

lol seriously? I know that these cell providers both warning texts when you reach a certain amount of data usage, do these people simply turn off warnings and get pissed when they go over their data?

I have Wifi Assist on (yes it does use more data) but I have ATT set up to txt me when ever I use a gb. I've used a whopping 3gb this month! I should get on this! :D

There are way to many people in this world that should not be allowed near a computer and never touch a smart phone. There not smart enough to even get out of there own way!

Maybe you should read the article first before making your self look un-informed and commenting about something you clearly have not read or understand, or even bothered to read other people's replies on the matter...

Some people should not be allowed to post on comments until they are forced to read said article....:rolleyes:

And this is the only statement that matters, and why Apple needs to not make brand-damaging mistakes like this.

You guys flirting with the "blame the victim" approach here are on the wrong path.

Exactly, but those victim blaming are the same who can not even read the actual linked article.

What is wrong with making a simple youtube video discussing the major features of the phone?

Then if the customer isn't smart enough to watch said video and turn off some features, it's their fault.

A class action will net the customer a 3 dollar voucher.
But it's the American way, I'm stupid so it's someone else's fault.

How is this the consumers fault?

For years there was no wi-fi assit on iphones. One day theres a new ios update that you install, and like most people you ignore the fine print.

Apple should have made wi-fi assit OFF by default, and let users turn it on their own

I was suggesting the UI and lack of communication to users from the device was the problem. I really did not intend to blame phone owners or intend to sound as if I was blaming them.

How is this the consumers fault?

For years there was no wi-fi assit on iphones. One day theres a new ios update that you install, and like most people you ignore the fine print.

Apple should have made wi-fi assit OFF by default, and let users turn it on their own

WiFi Assist was in iOS 8 and didn't even have an option to disable it.

I havent upgraded to the latest, but tbh without knowing in detail what wifi-assist is, it seems like a bad name to have (if i understand what wifi assist is). Correct me if im wrong it monitors the data connection and wifi connection and chooses the one with the better signal. If you have poor wifi then its gonna be constantly draining your data allotment?

Just change the name to more accurately reflect it and offer a free software update that disables this by default.

But are they are smart enough to know the difference between there, they're and their?

I havent upgraded to the latest, but tbh without knowing in detail what wifi-assist is, it seems like a bad name to have (if i understand what wifi assist is). Correct me if im wrong it monitors the data connection and wifi connection and chooses the one with the better signal. If you have poor wifi then its gonna be constantly draining your data allotment?

Just change the name to more accurately reflect it and offer a free software update that disables this by default.

It only uses cellular if the WiFi connection is complete shit and not able to process requests.

I know this burned through my usage until I turned it off. Really a feature which could lead to such problems should have been turned off by default or had some sort of in your face notification.

I know this burned through my usage until I turned it off. Really a feature which could lead to such problems should have been turned off by default or had some sort of in your face notification.

Maybe you should check your home Wi-Fi bra. This is [H] afterall; there's only like a few hundred thousand people to help.

Back