18.4-Inch Samsung Galaxy View Images Leak

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Here’s an official look at Samsung’s new gigantic tablet. I’ll get my wallet out if it happens to use an AMOLED panel.

…this is the first time in a couple of years that we are seeing a Samsung tablet without the company’s traditional hard home button. The images might not show them clearly, but the tablet will feature on-screen navigation buttons. It’s not totally surprising, as pressing an actual button wouldn’t be convenient on a display of this size.

I guess large tablets are the all the rage this year though I don't think this size makes a lot of sense for an Android tablet. Samsung hasn't seemed to refreshed the Galaxy Note 12 which launched going on two years ago. Will be interesting to see what this costs.

I guess large tablets are the all the rage this year though I don't think this size makes a lot of sense for an Android tablet. Samsung hasn't seemed to refreshed the Galaxy Note 12 which launched going on two years ago. Will be interesting to see what this costs.
Browsing the internet and watching videos is easier/better on a big screen than a small screen, if its a tablet that's just sitting at home in the bedroom or by the couch and not traveling extensively.

You could attach it on a full motion mount in the kitchen for example so you can watch Hulu/Netflix/Youtube while cooking or look up recipes to follow and what not.

...is dropping the physical home button really considered a good thing on a device of that size? It's not like you can use the thing one-handed anyways.

I guess large tablets are the all the rage this year though I don't think this size makes a lot of sense for an Android tablet. /QUOTE]

Of course you don't think it "makes sense", because it doesn't have a Microsoft logo.

The market will decide if it makes sense, as it always does.

Fixed it for you to the real truth :D :)

Yeah, it's really actually funny. The only original product Apple ever came out with - at least that I can think of right now - was the original iPhone, and IMHO< that wasn't very revolutionary or new, it was really just where the entire market was slowly evolving towards.

Every single other Apple product ever launched was first done by someone else, then Apple repackaged it, made it prettier and marketed it to make it cool.

The Apple fanboys are so blinded by their Kool-Aiod it isn't even funny.

I think some of us are confusing tablet with all-in-one computer. IMO if it has an x86 processor, a dedicated GPU, and all those fixings running a desktop operating system and weights 5-10lbs, its not a tablet, its a all-in-one. If its a little lighter but still quite bulky, then I might call it a tablet laptop. But not a tablet, for the same reason a 6.5" phone is not just a phone but a "phablet" and at 7"+ its a tablet.

A large "tablet" IMO would be extremely thin and lightweight, an emphasis on long battery life, and using mobile components on Android or iOS.

I think some of us are confusing tablet with all-in-one computer. IMO if it has an x86 processor, a dedicated GPU, and all those fixings running a desktop operating system and weights 5-10lbs, its not a tablet, its a all-in-one. If its a little lighter but still quite bulky, then I might call it a tablet laptop. But not a tablet, for the same reason a 6.5" phone is not just a phone but a "phablet" and at 7"+ its a tablet.

A large "tablet" IMO would be extremely thin and lightweight, an emphasis on long battery life, and using mobile components on Android or iOS.

I am not confused. if it's mobile and has no keyboard, it's a tablet.

The term "phablet" is a tablet sized phone. you can have a 5" tablet, you don't call it a "phablet" if it's not a phone as well.

The modern weak sauce arm based tablets don't own some sort of copyright on th eterm Tablet.

Google the terms "Tablet PC" or "Tablet Computer" for reference.

There's the 2001 Microsoft Tablet PC specification, for instance.

I am not confused. if it's mobile and has no keyboard, it's a tablet.

Agreed.

If it is a flat surface with a touch enabled screen, able to operate under battery power, it is a Tablet.

It doesn't have to be ARM, Mobile OS/Android/iOS/whatever.

Zarathustra[H];1041929985 said:
Agreed.

If it is a flat surface with a touch enabled screen, able to operate under battery power, it is a Tablet.

It doesn't have to be ARM, Mobile OS/Android/iOS/whatever.
Then why isn't every single smartphone in existence a tablet?

The market is far too saturated with products to not create categories so that expectations are met.

An all-in-one desktop PC with a touchscreen is still going to meet the expectations of usage of a all-in-one desktop, and is not an iPad or Nexus 8 competitor.

Zarathustra[H];1041929775 said:
Every single other Apple product ever launched was first done by someone else, then Apple repackaged it, made it prettier and marketed it to make it cool.
If you strictly follow that logic, you will have to apply it to most everybody, as advanced technological gadgets don't just appear out of thin air. Everybody builds on something. And if you investigate, you'll find that big corporations rarely do anything with universities having done most of the risky fundamental research. Or they just buy a smaller, innovative company.

Things where Apple surely wasn't first, but nevertheless should be given props:
- Apple I/II, the first successful, affordable personal computer
- Lisa, the first personal computer with a graphical user interface
- Newton, first real PDA
- Firewire
- their involvement in both ARM and PowerPC
- G4 Cube, maybe the first SFF PC, passively cooled and the PC as art
- iPhone, the first modern smartphone

The market is far too saturated with products to not create categories so that expectations are met.

An all-in-one desktop PC with a touchscreen is still going to meet the expectations of usage of a all-in-one desktop, and is not an iPad or Nexus 8 competitor.

All touchscreen phones are tablets, although they are small tablets.

A tablet may be able to mae calls but it is not ma phone. A phone may operate like a tablet but they are not the same.

An all in one is usually tied to a wall plug and isnt exactly portable. Whereas a tablet is more likely to be away from plugs alot

I need bigger pants pockets now.
hn45V8hBhRIpW.gif

The Nabi Big Tab is 24". Has been out for about a year. You can see them at Toys R Us. They are about $400.

BN-EE117_PTECH__P_20140819113355.jpg

So why was my post removed? All I said was that it would be nice if Samsung were to release a truly original product, and not a copy of someone else's products. Are Samsung buying AMD? Why so hurt?

Not much of an impartial site after all... Well I guess Steve shows where his loyalties align in all the anti-Apple troll posts on the front page nearly every day.

It was not long ago people were getting warnings for posting anti-AMD things here, but I guess AMD aren't on your happy list anymore, so fair game now?

I must remember to only post positively when it comes to Samsung, nVidia and gaming mice makers.

Back