Comcast Insists Its Twitter Account Isn’t A Robot

HardOCP News

[H] News
Does this sound like a bot to you or someone that was just "a bit overzealous?" :rolleyes:

Comcast insists it’s the latter, even in spite of evidence like this bizarre exchange from earlier in the week, in which Philadelphia Inquirer reporter Claudia Vargas merely quoted Philly mayoral candidate Jim Kenney’s feelings about Comcast’s “very slow and frustrating” service.

Somebody posted on here a while ago a conversation they had in a supposed online chat session with a "person" and it was super obvious that is was a bot that had not been programmed to deal with the specific question he was asking.

Hopefully that person will see this and repost the conversation.

Deception at all levels.

I'm willing to cut them a *little* slack. Here's why:

At my (small) company, every customer request is handled by a real person. The CS folks are paid per email, and since many issues are similar (and the fix is the same), there's a tendency for them to quickly scan an email, classify it as "issue X" and reply with "do Y to fix it". It occasionally happens that a bit more careful reading is required to understand the actual problem (like I do, when it gets escalated to me). The customers don't like it, of course, because the response sounds canned (which it sort of is) and it doesn't address their issue. But the reality is that the quick, canned responses *do* work for the vast majority of the issues users see.

Which means that customer service is doing the same job, with the same responses, as a robot.

... ?

In the case there i would also assume the person is trying to indirectly state that they are having slow speeds.

It is funny how many people won't call in with issues. Will cancel service stating how it was going down all the time or was slow, you look and they never once called in to report an issue. Will call about an issue finally and want credit for the months it has been happening however never called in before that day.... So in a case like this, you can't help but assume the person is having issues to some degree and is quoting the person as their way of saying I am having this issue also.

I'm willing to cut them a *little* slack. Here's why:

At my (small) company, every customer request is handled by a real person. The CS folks are paid per email, and since many issues are similar (and the fix is the same), there's a tendency for them to quickly scan an email, classify it as "issue X" and reply with "do Y to fix it". It occasionally happens that a bit more careful reading is required to understand the actual problem (like I do, when it gets escalated to me). The customers don't like it, of course, because the response sounds canned (which it sort of is) and it doesn't address their issue. But the reality is that the quick, canned responses *do* work for the vast majority of the issues users see.

Very true. I have had many customer issues resolved with any generic "update windows, reboot your pc, plug shit in, is the battery in correctly" type of responses. It is annoying to deal with when you have to go through the filter yourself but statistically most problems are solved with a FAQ page type of answer.

If it's polite and intelligent it's definitely not a real employee but probably a robot.

Back