Harmonix Caught Giving Rock Band 4 5-Star Reviews On Amazon

HardOCP News

[H] News
Look, if you won't give your own game a five-star rating, who will?

When is it a good idea for employees to post reviews of their own company's game? Most people would probably say "never," but that didn't stop Harmonix employees working on Rock Band 4 from doing it.

I just love seeing news sites using Reddit as a source. It is nice to see a questionable site like Destructoid to some actual journalism in following up with the lead, though.

Why does the link lead to a landing page instead of the article? Why cant the link lead RIGHT to the fucking article?the title and the article link should go the same fucking place. We dont want your stupid landing page.

They should have spent more time making the game better and less time on fake reviews...

Why does the link lead to a landing page instead of the article? Why cant the link lead RIGHT to the fucking article?the title and the article link should go the same fucking place. We dont want your stupid landing page.

b682dc1c2873d6116bfcd0e688d2ef45.jpg

Ad revenue generation.

gtfo.gif

Look, if you won't give your own game a five-star rating, who will?

When is it a good idea for employees to post reviews of their own company's game? Most people would probably say "never," but that didn't stop Harmonix employees working on Rock Band 4 from doing it.

As long as they're not stuffing the box, then I have no issue with this. Does anyone think that if some band puts out an album that their mom isn't posting a positive review?

tumblr_lanqq5KicD1qdr1wto1_500.jpg

So they're proud of their work? Not sure why that's a bad thing. It's better than paying some random slob $5 to write a 5-star review for a game they've never played.

If there's potential for a conflict of interest I think you should just disclose it and move forwards. In this case, simply saying you worked on the game, would be sufficient and then give your review. If that violates some NDA's or anything with your company (and it may) then don't post a review.

Happens with review sites all the time. Are they compensated to give the review? Did they buy the hardware/request the hardware or was it sent to them by the company directly? Disclose the circumstances around it and let the readers decide if that matters to them.

more clicks=more $

I just love seeing news sites using Reddit as a source. It is nice to see a questionable site like Destructoid to some actual journalism in following up with the lead, though.

Funny. I was going to post about the recent time Engadget wrote a "report" about one of the products I worked on based entirely off of a Reddit poster's personal experience. The report did not reflect the actual state of things (aside from what may have anecdotaly happened) and was refuted by dozens of commenters in the thread.

I click through the link here and guess what... Engadget!

How far are they from, "Top 10 things you need to know before getting int he car in [your city]!" stories?

Back