MPAA Asks Government to Facilitate Private Anti-Piracy Deals

HardOCP News

[H] News
Can anyone explain to me why the MPAA believes the government is obligated to help them police the internet?

The MPAA has asked the U.S. Government for help in its efforts to reach private anti-piracy agreements with search engines, domain name registrars and hosting services. The Hollywood group believes that these three industries have shown "lagging progress" and should do more to deter online copyright infringement.

Private anti-piracy agreements between companies and the government? No.

Full transparency during formulation and prior to 'possible' adoption? Yes.

Can anyone explain to me why the MPAA believes the government is obligated to help them police the internet?

Because they're the true citizens of this nation? Because they elect officials and pay their checks?

Once the TPP goes through it will pretty much be law that ISPs and the government will have to enforce this. It's bad news for DRM, digital media, and copyright. And we will be on the hook to enforce it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bfu2247nK4

It gets worse with all the other ramifications about healthcare, employment, and lots of other things that might turn the U.S. into the new Mexico.

So, I wonder how much election money they are offering for this service?

After all, we have the best Government money can buy.

If it is involving criminal copyright violation then I don't have an issue with the Feds helping mediate the discussions (since criminal Copyright is a federal crime) ... however, for civil copyright violation I don't see any role for the government as that is completely outside their jurisdiction ... and the vast majority of copyright violations are civil only

Back