Fallout 4 Disc Doesn't Contain Entire Game

only reason to buy physical copies anymore is for the Collector's Edition swag

Or how about this.. not everyone has fast internet to download 20gb of data for a game.

No shit. I always wondered why people are so quick to give up simple things like this.

I should be able to go to the store and purchase a game and know that its complete. Especially if I don't have internet. Not everyone does. Believe it or not.

Or how about this.. not everyone has fast internet to download 20gb of data for a game.

pretty soon physical media will consist of a box cover with a sheet of paper inside telling you to install the game via Steam, Origin, Uplay etc...Phantom Pain and now Fallout 4 don't even have the entire game on disc

It is always faster for me to download the game than install from physical media so this wouldn't affect me.

Will I be able to get a regular boxed copy? Not really interested in the collectors edition.

Why don't they adopt Blu-Ray discs?

Not only it will solve any storage problems DVD has, it will inject some wider adoption of the Blu-Ray drives.

Happened with DVD and CD's, not sure why they are not trying it here...

Not only it will solve any storage problems DVD has, it will inject some wider adoption of the Blu-Ray drives.

I remember when people flipped their shit when SquareEnix moved to DVD's for their expansions for FFXI. OMG forums were lit up of people pissed they had to spend another $15-12 to get out of the dark ages and get a DVD compatible optical drive. BluRay has even less/slower adoption rates.

I remember when people flipped their shit when SquareEnix moved to DVD's for their expansions for FFXI. OMG forums were lit up of people pissed they had to spend another $15-12 to get out of the dark ages and get a DVD compatible optical drive. BluRay has even less/slower adoption rates.

OK, what about USB drives?

I got Diablo 3 like 2.5 years after it came out when I saw it on sale for $9.99. Put that bad boy in expecting to get my Diablo on over the weekend, nope... it downloaded the entire fucking game, it didn't use ANYTHING from the DVD except the Blizzard launcher (which it also updated). I mean I get their there were patches and what not, but come on, at least the voices and animated cut scenes should have been there. That was really fun with a 5Mbps DSL line.

CD adoption benefited from strategic bundling (often with sound cards which were needed for maximum benefit) ... DVDs benefitted from economy of scale (they didn't really require much additional hardware and they came out during the PC boom ... BRD had several obstacles against mass adoption (it was expensive and read only, it required specific hardware to complete the DRM loop, if it was used for movie playback then often expensive graphics card or computer upgrades were needed)

Also, there was no serious internet alternative to either CD or DVD ... they provided a massive increase in storage capacity with no other option at their level ... Blu Ray competes with cheaper and less complex DVD and high speed internet ... until PC consumption of Blu Ray approaches that of the consoles I don't see much advantage for a game company to switch to Blu Ray

We should be complaining about the lack of high speed uncapped internet then and not a lack of physical distribution media :cool:

In 2002 a DVD drive cost a lot more than $15.00.

Before everyone gets upset, I think it's important to know what the required download is. A small activation patch or important day-one update is a lot different than pulling an MGS and shipping out a disc with the steam installer.

I got Diablo 3 like 2.5 years after it came out when I saw it on sale for $9.99. Put that bad boy in expecting to get my Diablo on over the weekend, nope... it downloaded the entire fucking game, it didn't use ANYTHING from the DVD except the Blizzard launcher (which it also updated). I mean I get their there were patches and what not, but come on, at least the voices and animated cut scenes should have been there. That was really fun with a 5Mbps DSL line.

Similar thing happened to me on my last Win re-install. I have all the physical discs for the Half-Life series (that used to just install the game) but nope.. Had to spend half the day downloading them instead. Why? Major files could be copied over easy and save me time, and bandwidth. Oh well, welcome to the new world I guess.

The other day I tried to install Wolfenstein TNO from the disc. Put it in, activated on steam, then steam downloaded the whole damn game. I didn't even put in other discs. I'm not even sure there is anything on them.

I always think of stuff like this when people start talking about digital v. physical media, as though physical media means something now. The only thing that matter is DRM or not in terms of whether or not you actually own your copy of the game.

I remember learning when I was Afghanistan that I couldn't play StarCraft 2. You have to think of rare things like this.

Blue Ray is owned by Sony and they keep the prices much higher than it should actually be. Go buy a blank BR Disc. They should be around $1 but they are much much higher. The same with BR readers and burners. They should be around $15-20 but are still much higher.

Oh, and try and find a BR player that doesn't have all the DRM crap pre-loaded on it.

Sony did this to themselves and they have a history of killing good formats with their proprietary crap then either abandoning it or keeping it artificially inflated.

pretty soon physical media will consist of a box cover with a sheet of paper inside telling you to install the game via Steam, Origin, Uplay etc...Phantom Pain and now Fallout 4 don't even have the entire game on disc

One of those pull-to-unseal with a steam key under it. Save space that way!

Blue Ray is owned by Sony and they keep the prices much higher than it should actually be. Go buy a blank BR Disc. They should be around $1 but they are much much higher. The same with BR readers and burners. They should be around $15-20 but are still much higher.

Oh, and try and find a BR player that doesn't have all the DRM crap pre-loaded on it.

Sony did this to themselves and they have a history of killing good formats with their proprietary crap then either abandoning it or keeping it artificially inflated.

Depending on the Blu-ray media. LTH Single layer can definitely be gotten for less than $1 each, HTL is less so (but they are also more robust because they use inorganic layer), but even Panasonic HTL single layers (which are some of the best discs available) are pretty close to $1 each per spindle.

DL it's definitely much higher than that, even in a spindle, though some Verbatim discs can be around $2, so it's about the same price per capacity.

However those prices are prices per disc in a spindle. The smaller the spindle, the higher price per disc (to the point where I find single layer disc in a jewel box to be outrageous).

I enjoy physically browsing media, turning it over in my hands and looking at the artwork. I enjoy bringing it home in the plastic bag. I enjoy tearing the cellophane wrapper from it and opening it up to browse the contained materials. I enjoy the overall sensory experience.

I enjoy physically browsing media, turning it over in my hands and looking at the artwork. I enjoy bringing it home in the plastic bag. I enjoy tearing the cellophane wrapper from it and opening it up to browse the contained materials. I enjoy the overall sensory experience.

You must be disappointed as hell lately then. Most games don't even include a 4 page flip out manual anymore, it's just a disc in a case along with a license key.

You must be disappointed as hell lately then. Most games don't even include a 4 page flip out manual anymore, it's just a disc in a case along with a license key.
Oh, I've long since moved beyond the disappointment stage into sad acceptance.

I guess publishers don't give a shit that some people have 250GB data caps. Blu-Ray discs FTW

Before everyone gets upset, I think it's important to know what the required download is. A small activation patch or important day-one update is a lot different than pulling an MGS and shipping out a disc with the steam installer.
This. But the rise of 5+ GB day one "patches" is a bad thing.

Its already like that for some games... Pretty sure Borderlands the Presequel was like that....

I guess I'm one of the few that's ok with this. I'm actually glad it's an online code. I have to buy physical copies of games to get my GCU benefits, but I do prefer digital copies if the prices were anywhere near as cheap as I get games through GCU. Pre-ordered fallout 4 on pc awhile back. Hopefully I can just plop in a steam code and not even have to deal with the disc. I'm not even sure if my bluray drive is even functional on my pc, as I've never used it on my new pc... All my GCU purchases thus far have been for ps4 thus far, but was glad to see the discount on the pc version of fallout as well. I try to be platform agnostic :).

Hoping my steam link + steam controller gives me the flexibility to play this in my office or living room. Just keep the ps4 for exclusives if fallout 4 plays well over the link and stick to pc games from then on.

Back