James Cameron Producing "Battle Angel Alita," Robert Rodriguez Directing

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Battle Angel Alita is a project that James Cameron has been very passionate about; I’m surprised he isn’t directing it himself. He also strikes me as a filmmaker who collaborates mostly out of necessity, so it should be interesting to see how this unravels.

“Robert and I have been looking for a film to do together for years, so I was pumped when he said he wanted to do ‘Battle Angel,'” Cameron said. “He’s very collaborative and we’re already like two kids building a go-kart, just having fun riffing creatively and technically. This project is near and dear to me, and there’s nobody I trust more than Robert, with his technical virtuosity and rebel style, to take over the directing reins. We’re looking forward to learning a lot from each other while we make a kick-ass epic.”

How to ensure a manga to film translation is so horrible it forever taints a franchise,

Step 1, let Hollywood do it.

I am very sad. I was hoping to eventually see a good film adaption of this, that dream is gone now.

How to ensure a manga to film translation is so horrible it forever taints a franchise,

I am very sad. I was hoping to eventually see a good film adaption of this, that dream is gone now.
Got that right. The chances of them getting this anywhere near right are nearly zero. With rare exception, Hollywood has butchered every foreign franchise they've touched.

Considering this is a thing that Cameron has wanted to do for close to 20 years, I doubt it will be bad. Lets be real, Cameron hasn't really made a bad money, they may not of all been everyone's cup of tea but they have all been well done movies.

Considering this is a thing that Cameron has wanted to do for close to 20 years, I doubt it will be bad. Lets be real, Cameron hasn't really made a bad money, they may not of all been everyone's cup of tea but they have all been well done movies.

I'm not holding my breath. Hollywood has historically proven they don't understand the nuances of Japanese manga in the slightest.

But could it reach Fist of the North Star bad?

Better question, will it be Dragonball: Evolution bad?

Seriously though, I think Cameron is one of few Hollywood directors capable of doing it right. Though, they may just make an 'Inspired by' type of movie that just barely can be connected back to the manga.

Talk about two totally epic and totally different styles. This should be interesting.

Wow. Please be good...this is the only manga I've ever read, and have always been sad there was only the first short movie released.

I don't have high hopes for Hollywood remaking anything from Japan. I'd say just hire the Japanese writers, producers, directors, etc to work with them to remake it. I don't see that happening either.

Battle Angel is hard core cyber punk.
Don't see how this will translate well at all.
The Characters are so over the top...

Indeed. He is directing Avatar 2, 3, and 4—all in one go, so he'll be very busy for the next few years.

Is that what he's really doing? Well, I hope they have plots that aren't dreadful ham-fisted Disney rejects like the first movie.

Back