Chattanooga Offering Internet 10X Faster Than Google Fiber

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There is now a very good reason to move to a particular city in Tennessee.

…the Chattanooga Electric Power Board, the city-owned power utility, says that it is now offering 10 gigabit connections—nearly 1,000 faster than the average broadband connection in the US—to every business and residence in the city for about $300 a month. It will also offer three and five gigabit speed connections in addition its existing one gigabit service.

Most consumer class switches and routers can't even support that speed...

Sounds like it'd be great for a business, for the home user... unless you are a serious power user (even more so than the average [H] user) not really useful for home. However if there is something like an apartment or condo complex that could be useful.

Sounds like it'd be great for a business, for the home user... unless you are a serious power user (even more so than the average [H] user) not really useful for home. However if there is something like an apartment or condo complex that could be useful.

Most of the time, I can't push 200 Mbps. I've got the bandwidth, but the servers normally won't push anything close to that. I'm thinking of dropping to 50. The only reason I may not is that I get better upload speeds, and that's useful for cloud/remote backup.

Most of the time, I can't push 200 Mbps. I've got the bandwidth, but the servers normally won't push anything close to that. I'm thinking of dropping to 50. The only reason I may not is that I get better upload speeds, and that's useful for cloud/remote backup.

I look at it this way.

Those poor fuckers are stuck in Tennessee. At least now they have something to be happy about :p

Zarathustra[H];1041917646 said:
I look at it this way.

Those poor fuckers are stuck in Tennessee. At least now they have something to be happy about :p

Maybe not perfect, but it's less than 2 hours from Atlanta and about the same from Nashville. Manchester (home of Bonnaroo) is less than 70 miles away. I've lived in worse places and great broadband. The downside is that you can't get anything slower than 100 Mbps, which is $58 plus tax. My cable is cheaper and has a faster d/l. That said, their 100 Mbps is probably symmetric, so it's better, especially if you decide to do offsite backups.

1Gbps is clearly a better deal, but I'm pretty certain that I'll never use the extra bandwidth, since i can't max out 200 Mbps now.

Don't worry. Verizon, Comcast, TWC, ATT, et al are planning on suing this municipal broadband out of existence in short order.

They'll fail. AT&T and Cox have tried it before and failed miserably. Chattanooga has been sued and I believe they've won most of the time and are likely to ultimately prevail on the rest.

$300 a month, oh BOY! Instead of waiting 10 seconds for my download to complete for only $30/month, I can spend $300 a month and have it done in ~1.5 seconds! OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY! :rolleyes:

Maybe not perfect, but it's less than 2 hours from Atlanta and about the same from Nashville. Manchester (home of Bonnaroo) is less than 70 miles away. I've lived in worse places and great broadband. The downside is that you can't get anything slower than 100 Mbps, which is $58 plus tax. My cable is cheaper and has a faster d/l. That said, their 100 Mbps is probably symmetric, so it's better, especially if you decide to do offsite backups.

1Gbps is clearly a better deal, but I'm pretty certain that I'll never use the extra bandwidth, since i can't max out 200 Mbps now.

I pay $104 a month for 55mbps and unlimited download. That's in Canada though... so its hard to compare to the US lol.. our cell phone plans are also garbage.

I live in Seattle currently and have been spoiled by the CenturyLink 1GB Fiber that we got at our house earlier this year. I recently took a new job back in Annapolis, MD and will have to go back to Comcast to get OK internets. I pay $79.95 per month (plus Tax) now...not looking forward to going back to Comcast...

Say what you will about us southerners. We have southern women and damn are they prett but also hilariously fun. Cali has some lookers but can't beat how awesome southern ladies are.

We also have jobs that pay as much as other parts of the country while costing a fraction of the cost to live at.

I pay $104 a month for 55mbps and unlimited download. That's in Canada though... so its hard to compare to the US lol.. our cell phone plans are also garbage.
This strikes me as odd. Back 10 years ago we always heard about out Canadian neighbors and their great Internet.

$300 a month, oh BOY! Instead of waiting 10 seconds for my download to complete for only $30/month, I can spend $300 a month and have it done in ~1.5 seconds! OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY! :rolleyes:

To me my 150/150 FiOS is worth it.

Because of the annoying bundles, it's tough to split up what my internet actually costs me, but I pay $174.99 per month for what they call "Preferred HD" TV and 150/150 Internet.

I could subtract $40 per month, for 100/100 service, subtract $50 per month for 75/75 service, subtract $60 per month for 50/50 service or subtract $70 per month for 25/25 service.

I like the level I am at though. It's not so much about the day to day browsing speeds. It's more about the big downloads, like Steam purchases,

It allows my steam downloads, Linux ISO's etc. to be nice and fast, and also makes my 8.5TB crashplan backups a little bit more manageable.

I wound up stopping at 150/150, and not going up to the next level (300/300) simply because that was an additional $60, so a pretty big jump, and I didn't think it would add much.

I probably would not pay $300/month for a 10gig plan if offered here, but I would definitely jump for a cheaper gigabit plan.

Zarathustra[H];1041917857 said:
To me my 150/150 FiOS is worth it.

Because of the annoying bundles, it's tough to split up what my internet actually costs me, but I pay $174.99 per month for what they call "Preferred HD" TV and 150/150 Internet.

I could subtract $40 per month, for 100/100 service, subtract $50 per month for 75/75 service, subtract $60 per month for 50/50 service or subtract $70 per month for 25/25 service.

I like the level I am at though. It's not so much about the day to day browsing speeds. It's more about the big downloads, like Steam purchases,

It allows my steam downloads, Linux ISO's etc. to be nice and fast, and also makes my 8.5TB crashplan backups a little bit more manageable.

I wound up stopping at 150/150, and not going up to the next level (300/300) simply because that was an additional $60, so a pretty big jump, and I didn't think it would add much.

I probably would not pay $300/month for a 10gig plan if offered here, but I would definitely jump for a cheaper gigabit plan.

Oh, and I should add, I do the month to month plan, as I have no idea how long I am going to stay in this house. I could sign up for a 2 year plan and save an additional $20 per month, but who knows if I'll be living here in 2 years. I don't want to be stuck with an ETF...

Well... I suppose it depends on location. When I lived on the east coast my internet was amazing.. and for 14 years ago that was pretty awesome, especially at the $30 I used to pay.

I don't recall the speed though. Just "fast".

As a side example.. I just went from DSL at 2mbps and unlimited (which was $30 MORE) to this cable connection for the same price. Such a huge disparity here.

120Mbit down - 12Mbit up.

Unlimited (yes I've tested) transfer per month, $45 dollars, Time Warner Maxx rocks here in DFW,TX

Pushed 1.2 TB through one month, nobody said shit.

And I just noticed I quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote pieter3dnow above you :p

So you download a whole 50GB game in 10 seconds? I think you may delusional or flat out lying... Just saying.. I can tell you that it takes me a whole lot longer then 10 seconds to download a 1.5-2gb movie and I am on a pretty decent service at 300mb.

Most consumer class switches and routers can't even support that speed...

You can put together a fairly decent pfSense box for ~$800(4C Xeon-D + memory + 64GB flash drive) that will do 10Gb/s line rates.

You can pick up 8 port 10GbE switches for $800 new.

If you want to play in the used market you can get both significantly cheaper. 24P 1GbE + 4P 10GbE switches can be had for ~$300-500 used. You can get a Xeon V1/2 server plus 2 10GbE cards for ~$400.

So honestly, if you have the money for $300 per month 10Gb internet, the cost of the gear to run it is pretty cheap.

Zarathustra[H];1041917646 said:
I look at it this way.

Chattanooga is a pretty decent place to live these days. Pretty good food, good beer, lots of stuff to do, and pretty quick and easy to get to at least 2 major metros.

Please tell me where you can get 1.5Gb Internet for $30 per month...

For $30 a month, you are generally lucky to get 25mb/s in most places.

Chattanooga is a pretty decent place to live these days. Pretty good food, good beer, lots of stuff to do, and pretty quick and easy to get to at least 2 major metros.

Yeah, TN isnt backwoods when you take chattanooga and nashville into account, and then even plenty of areas in the rest of the state. Pretty ignorant statement. I mean if it was alabama/mississippi/arkansas, he would be spot on. :D

$57 (with tax) for 200 down 20 or 30 up (can't remember), but before that I paid the same amount for 30 down and 5 up and htis is the most I've paid since the early DSL days.

$57 (with tax) for 200 down 20 or 30 up (can't remember), but before that I paid the same amount for 30 down and 5 up and htis is the most I've paid since the early DSL days.

unlimited download/upload?

Yeah, TN isnt backwoods when you take chattanooga and nashville into account, and then even plenty of areas in the rest of the state. Pretty ignorant statement. I mean if it was alabama/mississippi/arkansas, he would be spot on. :D

MS blows chunks.

Chattanoogans are mostly collage/hipster types, they're even powered by water for pete's sake

Pffftt. I'm still waiting on Google Fiber to reach my "Fiberhood" in the KC area, but my Time Warner 300GB has been pretty good thus far.

I'm going to rub it in here and I'm not going to be sorry for it.

This shows that capitalism does not work when you have people that care for profits more then bringing broadband to America it slows down everything without any good cause.
Having to beg for decent internet (without data/bandwidth caps) from companies which have no interest in the consumer brings it to this point where people in Tennessee apparently felt different about it and made sure that internet is something for everyone rather then Comcast and cohorts milk cow.

I hope that the rest of America is paying attention and see what is going on in Chattanooga and see if there is some framework to be copied so they can have their own network rather then being stuck.
If people in Chattanooga can do it so can a lot of other places that are left behind ....

I need that.. sucks trying to use Backblaze to backup my file server on Comcast..

status_rrd_graph_12.png

Let me be the first to point out that a 10G connection between a residential endpoint and the municipal 10G loop doesn't mean anything.

cool that they're pushing the envelope.
Home routers won't have 10g until 802.11ax comes out and basically forces them to support 10g both in wifi and landline. That's probably in 2-3 years. You could always splurge and get a 10gbit switch for ethernet.

I'm so sick of these types of statements "Few home users will be able to take advantage of that much bandwidth..."

Yeah because we should always install the bare minimum when it comes to infrastructure. God fucking forbid we try and future proof anything!?

I'm going to rub it in here and I'm not going to be sorry for it.

This shows that capitalism does not work when you have people that care for profits more then bringing broadband to America it slows down everything without any good cause.
Having to beg for decent internet (without data/bandwidth caps) from companies which have no interest in the consumer brings it to this point where people in Tennessee apparently felt different about it and made sure that internet is something for everyone rather then Comcast and cohorts milk cow.

I hope that the rest of America is paying attention and see what is going on in Chattanooga and see if there is some framework to be copied so they can have their own network rather then being stuck.
If people in Chattanooga can do it so can a lot of other places that are left behind ....

Has nothing to do with capitalism. Have you noticed that in the areas where Google Fiber has been announced, the local cable and phone companies magically have faster Internet at greatly reduced speeds? The reason so many people in the USA have slower and more expensive Internet is because the local/state governments have passed laws that prohibit competition. In my city, we will never get good, inexpensive service because the law states only one cable company and only one phone company. No one else can come in and compete using wires with those two companies, Comcast and Century Link respectively. True capitalism would allow other companies to come in and compete, rather than the current government enforced monopolies.

Back