Star Citizen Has One Million Citizens

HardOCP News

[H] News
Chris Roberts has posted a letter from the chairman today announcing the one millionth backer for Star Citizen and a host of other stuff. Gary Oldman makes an appearance via video as well.

Starting today, we are eliminating ‘Alpha Access’ and the $5 module passes. Anyone who has pledged for a Star Citizen Package can now play today without worrying they won’t have access to some portion of the ‘Verse in the future. No Star Marine pass, no Alpha 2.0 pass… no additional payment needed for any module in the works, pre-release. Going forward, should we need to put out some sort of limited release it will be done through the PTU test server. All backers will have access to any live release, the moment it publishes.

I'm at a loss for words.....1 Million people for a game that is not out yet...

Alpha Slots were a bonus to people that helped early enough..
I guess that doesn't matter anymore.

I wonder when those ships that cost 10k will be handed out to new people now also. :)

Axe

I heard that eliminating the $5 pass requirement proves they have plenty of money to spend the next three years finishing this game.

I'd so love to play this game then again, I look up at the stars at night and wonder why the hell don't we have real spaceships to fly around by now. Have to resort to looking at a screen for that type of fun. :(

There are 1 Million citizens now, but only 771,779 citizens. It works out to about $120 per actual paying citizen.

As for removing the need for an Alpha access package or Arena Commander pass, I believe that it will make a lot of people happy. The AC pass was confusing for a lot of new backers and there were often hundreds of posts in the forums asking what to do.

The original Alpha access was also tied to any ship package that may have been purchased. Many players have wanted to upgrade or melt their package so that they could use the funds to get a different package, but didn't do so, because they didn't want to lose Alpha access. With that requirement gone, I'm sure there will be many who will melt down those packages now.

I'm beginning to believe this game is going to be released in the same state Freelancer was in due to lack or misuse of funds. The game would then be abandoned after a quick patch or two to make it semi-playable. Chris Roberts will then lay the entire blame on the bad publicity including Derek Smart.

I have already written my $100 off. I have no doubt the game will never release if Chris doesn't reign in his "vision".

I'd so love to play this game then again, I look up at the stars at night and wonder why the hell don't we have real spaceships to fly around by now. Have to resort to looking at a screen for that type of fun. :(

Truth

I'm beginning to believe this game is going to be released in the same state Freelancer was in due to lack or misuse of funds. The game would then be abandoned after a quick patch or two to make it semi-playable. Chris Roberts will then lay the entire blame on the bad publicity including Derek Smart.

I have already written my $100 off. I have no doubt the game will never release if Chris doesn't reign in his "vision".

What was wrong with Freelancer? I didn't get it till a few years after release but I never really had any problems with it. I played it all the way through at least a couple times.

What was wrong with Freelancer? I didn't get it till a few years after release but I never really had any problems with it. I played it all the way through at least a couple times.
CR kept on tinkering with Freelancer until MS said enough is enough and forced the game to be released. This time CR is the top dog and has no one to answer to. As you can see, the game is no where ready to be released and you can tell it will never be released until the company runs out of money and release a statement saying development has stopped due to lack of funds.

It was delayed repeatedly, and had run out of money. Microsoft rescued it, CR ceased to be the producer, and MS significantly scaled back the game, finished it, and released it. The project as CR wanted it was unrealistically ambitious and unreasonably expensive.

Any of this sound familiar? :D

That's a lot of people paying real money to buy into a dream.

I honestly don't think this is a scam, the guy seems to truly believe in the dreams he's selling. He just has no ability to deliver what he wants to deliver, his dream will end up a nightmare and nobody will be as crushed as he.

I don't think it's a scam. I still don't think this game will ever become what they promise.

I'd like to be proven wrong though.

I'd love to play the game that Star Citizen is supposed to be, and I'll gladly purchase the game when it's done.

The love for Derek Smart's idiocy runs high here it seems.

I was just thinking the same thing.

People bashing the game and it's backers non-stop...hope about you wait till it's out to make judgement. That's what I'm doing.

People bashing the game and it's backers non-stop...hope about you wait till it's out to make judgement. That's what I'm doing.
This is hilarious. Till it's out? How much longer is "till it's out"? Can you imagine how much money CR is blowing through each month just on payroll? Are you a backer at all and are you willing to give him even more money? If you have already contributed say $1K. Would you contribute another 1K to help make the game better?

That's a lot of people paying real money to buy into a dream.

I honestly don't think this is a scam, the guy seems to truly believe in the dreams he's selling. He just has no ability to deliver what he wants to deliver, his dream will end up a nightmare and nobody will be as crushed as he.

My thoughts exactly. Someone else will eventually have to come in and pick up the pieces and try to put something coherent together just like what happened with Freelancer

The whole Star Citizen thing is starting to get like the cryogenic sleep ideal
they both "promise" a return

The love for Derek Smart's idiocy runs high here it seems.

There are plenty of reasons to question what's going on at CIG. You don't need to be a Derek Smart fan to do so.

The game and its backers have brought it on themselves entirely. The backers wouldn't currently be getting anywhere near the amount of shit they're getting if many of them:

1. Hadn't spent the last two years attacking anyone that makes any comment or question about the game that is even remotely critical.
2. Didn't constantly make stupid and illogical arguments (if not outright lie) in order to defend the game.

I hope the game is even half of what they are shooting for.
Until then, I'll have to "make due" with Elite.

Feature creep has always been CR's downfall. It's great to be a visionary, but there comes a point where you become Homer Simpson... I hope star citizen isn't the episode where he designs a car.

There is a sucker born every minute.

When you get tired of waiting for a non-existent game to come out, you will always be welcome over at Elite (which is a real game that had realistic goals and already came out).

When you get tired of waiting for a non-existent game to come out, you will always be welcome over at Elite (which is a real game that had realistic goals and already came out).

So, what? He should have just made elite? What would be the point of having two elites? I'd rather gamble on Star Citizen being something more.

Frontier had better goal markers than CIG, for sure. They kept their scope within reason. However Elite has it's own issues. A year in and the game still has almost no gameplay to speak of. They just released an arena mod where you get to experience how fun it is to lose to people who are way better than you. But at least the expansion is out in a few months, where we can land on barren planets and drive around pointlessly.

Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh, cause they are making progress and pushing the game forward, but I just feel that they should have worked on making the pond deeper, instead of continuously wider.

Except Elite, as it is today, isn't yet the game we were promised.

And Elite isn't the game that Star Citizen is going to be either.

If you like slow space combat that feels more like underwater combat in 2.5 dimensions and graphics from 2012, E:D is fine.

This is hilarious. Till it's out? How much longer is "till it's out"? Can you imagine how much money CR is blowing through each month just on payroll? Are you a backer at all and are you willing to give him even more money? If you have already contributed say $1K. Would you contribute another 1K to help make the game better?

Does it matter how much money is being spent?

The backers gave the project it's scope creep.

If people didn't want all those items, they wouldn't have funded them.

Never really understood the people saying "OMG SCOPE CREEP".

News flash, they were put up as OPTIONS that wouldn't be in the game without funding. The backers funded those goals, and they became part of the game as a whole.

CR and CIG/RSI repeatedly said that as more stuff is added to the game the release dates are being pushed back so that people get what they funded.

Yep, I'm a backer (from day one complete with Golden Ticket) and yep, I continue to buy ships that I find interesting.

I'd love to play the game that Star Citizen is supposed to be, and I'll gladly purchase the game when it's done.

This times a million.

If this game gets published - and I hope it does - and it lives up to half the hype, I'll chuck $60 down on it, no problemo.

Not a flipping dime until then though.

Frontier had better goal markers than CIG, for sure. They kept their scope within reason. However Elite has it's own issues. A year in and the game still has almost no gameplay to speak of. They just released an arena mod where you get to experience how fun it is to lose to people who are way better than you. But at least the expansion is out in a few months, where we can land on barren planets and drive around pointlessly.

Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh, cause they are making progress and pushing the game forward, but I just feel that they should have worked on making the pond deeper, instead of continuously wider.

There is plenty of gameplay. It just doesn't hold your hand and spoon feed you.

Back