Intel Beats Earnings And Sales Estimates

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even with weak PC sales, Intel still managed to beat Wall Street expectations with revenue of $14.5 billion and earnings of $0.64 per share.

Intel Corp reported better-than-expected quarterly profit and revenue as strong performance in its data center and Internet-of-Things businesses more than made up for continued weak demand for its chips used in personal computers. Shares of the world's largest chipmaker rose marginally in after-market trading on Tuesday.

Earnings are down 6.3% YoY. It's not all good news.

If it's the usual trend, AMD probably took a larger beating last quarter compared to the same quarter in 2014 when it announces results in 2 days.

So in other words, they made more then the other top 5 semiconductor companies combined?

Earnings are down 6.3% YoY. It's not all good news.

If it's the usual trend, AMD probably took a larger beating last quarter compared to the same quarter in 2014 when it announces results in 2 days.

It wouldn't shock me if purchases were put off (whenever possible) until Skylake was available. Intel dominates the cloud servers, my gut says the numbers will turn around in the next quarter or 2. Maybe they addressed this on the call.

So in other words, they made more then the other top 5 semiconductor companies combined?
They didn't, but it's far more complicated than that due to business model and expenses.

The next two largest semi makers, Samsung (semiconductor portion) and TSMC, have larger combined sales than Intel. Intel spends a lot on R&D and fab upgrades, so it has a smaller net profit than Samsung had on a huge surge in semiconductor sales last quarter.

Intel Corp reported better-than-expected quarterly profit and revenue as strong performance in its data center and Internet-of-Things businesses more than made up for continued weak demand for its chips used in personal computers. Shares of the world's largest chipmaker rose marginally in after-market trading on Tuesday.

It's funny how that article has since been completely re-worded to paint a rather glum picture.

In other news when is Google going to make their own chips?
I mean, I know software and all, but wouldn't it be nice to have your own instruction set too?
I really don't know, maybe its not that important... Yeah just talking, Intel is big, remains big, but seems somewhat stagnant growth-wise.

As expected, last quarter was terrible for AMD, particularly the 25% revenue drop vs same quarter last year: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-reports-2015-third-quarter-201500832.html

$65 million in inventory written off, $197 million net loss for the quarter and:

Computing and Graphics segment revenue increased 12 percent sequentially and decreased 46 percent from Q3 2014. The sequential increase was primarily due to higher sales of desktop processors and GPUs and the annual decrease was driven primarily by lower client processor sales.

Even the good news (13% sequential revenue increase) isn't really good news: Q2 was beyond abysmal and was result of too many unsold AMD processors in the hands of manufacturers and no need to order more. With low demand this will continue repeating, as AMD is now selling its products at a loss once again. The 23% gross margin suggests AMD had to beg manufacturers to take product at huge discounts, and is not healthy as the quarterly loss shows.

And yes, AMD has another corporate restructuring plan!

Back