EU Court To Decide If Streaming Pirated Movies Is Legal

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm going to go with my gut instinct here and say the courts will side with the anti-piracy groups on this one.

Seeking clarification, a Dutch court has referred several streaming related questions to the EU Court of Justice. The questions relate to a case between local anti-piracy group BREIN and a seller of so-called "pirate boxes" that come pre-loaded with streaming plugins. It is currently unclear whether streaming pirated movies is permitted under EU law.

So, is this similar to Popcorn Time?

So, who do they go for with litigation, though? The one doing the viewing or the one hosting the stream or the software creator?

So, is this similar to Popcorn Time?

So, who do they go for with litigation, though? The one doing the viewing or the one hosting the stream or the software creator?

All 3, of course!

Throw a bunch of hooks in the water and one of them is bound to come up with a fish.

It seems to me that no one is stupid enough to force this issue, so the company that made the box MUST be funded by an anti-piracy group so they could get the issue forced! And if it, by some miracle turns out to be legal, they can get their government hirelings to pass laws making it totally illegal.

I was just gonna laugh that it would be found legal... but I have to say, it probably won't be legal, but it might be in some loophole that wouldn't put the viewer in the hot seat, which is essentially where we're at. And taht they would totally try to force the issue to make it so..... number one!

Back