Best Buy Testing Robot Customer Service Employees

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait a minute! You mean to tell me that Best Buy's current customer service employees aren't robots? You could have fooled me.

In an era where retail is increasingly moving online, some shoppers still prefer to deal with actual human beings when they go to the store. But the folks at Best Buy believe that some in-store customer service tasks may be best done by automatons.

I believe this post is missing the obligatory "THEY'RE GONNA KILL US ALL" comment.

Robots or automatons are better able to push the Best Buy credit card, the extended service plan, Geek Squad services, accessories, affiliated services, etc, where Best Buy makes it's money.

On the bright side, hopefully robots would actually be able to provide accurate (not blatantly incorrect) information about their products.

I can't even remember the last time I went inside a Worst Buy store. I guess they're really scraping the bottom of the customer bin if they think this will turn things around for them.

Only time I go there is when there is a hard drive sale that is decent and I can just order online and pick it up at customer service desk on the way home from work.

How is this different from their non existent customer service they have now?

Because now the robot in appliances will know something about them.

Best Buy had some good people working for them. They would just put someone that knew car audio in the cell phones, the computer nerd in appliances, etc.. Then, the real good ones moved on to something better (pay and responsibilities). Same with Geek Squad. Once they get that experience, they move on to better pastures.

I want to see a good game of Jeopardy between the real sales assistants and the robot ones. Placing my money on the robots :)

I might be worried if I hear the robot mumbling "kill all humans" or "byte my shinny metal....." :)

Are they going to frisk the robots on their way out of the store when they go on smoke break? :D

this should work for them. unless... their robots are maintained and programed by their Geek Squad...

Back