Google’s "Don’t Be Evil" Becomes Alphabet’s "Do The Right Thing"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Should I be worried that their new motto is even more vague?

Google’s code of conduct, of course, is best-known for its first line, which was also included in Google’s 2004 filing for its initial public offering: “Don’t be evil.” Alphabet’s code doesn’t include that phrase. Instead, it says employees of Alphabet and its subsidiaries “should do the right thing – follow the law, act honorably, and treat each other with respect.”

So they "should" do the right thing, but they don't have to?

Should actually has two meanings. If you're talking about an event and saying something "should" happen then it means there might be some chance that it won't. If you're telling someone what they "should" do then it means that's the correct thing to do or that they have a duty or obligation to do it.

First thing that comes to my mind is "who's standard" for the "right thing"?

"follow the law, act honorably, and treat each other with respect.”

I can go with this, until laws become the tool of repression upon the majority population by a vocal/active/abusive minority population/special interest (like what is taking shape now).

You obviously have never been married ... when your wife tells you that you "should" do something it is most definitely not optional ... companies operate under the wife principle as well usually :cool:

You obviously have never been married ... when your wife tells you that you "should" do something it is most definitely not optional ... companies operate under the wife principle as well usually :cool:

I am married, and the wife has never said should. It is either do or else. She doesn't beat around the bush.

I am married, and the wife has never said should. It is either do or else. She doesn't beat around the bush.

Well, not to get all grammar policey but according to the definition of should it is not considered an optional statement either:

auxiliary verb
simple past tense of shall.
(used to express condition):
Were he to arrive, I should be pleased.
must; ought (used to indicate duty, propriety, or expediency):
You should not do that.
would (used to make a statement less direct or blunt):
I should think you would apologize.

Either definition 3 or 4 used with a mission statement would indicate that should is not giving a person any option to do otherwise :cool:

Basically have liberal points of view.

“should do the right thing – follow the law, act honorably, and treat each other with respect.”

Follow the law - if anything this is the conservative point of view, not liberal, as liberals are more likely to break laws with sanctuary cities, illegal protests, etc

Act honorably - although a conservative or liberal might have a different definition of what this means I don't see this as either a liberal or conservative thing

treat each other with respect - this also might mean different things to a conservative or a liberal but I don't see this exclusively as a liberal or conservative thing ... actually considering on how some businesses treat their employees or some employees respond to each other in meetings I don't see this as a bad thing

What about their new (but vague) statement do you consider liberal and why?

Wasn't it Do No Evil? I don't recall.

That said... it's in the eye of the beholder, so the right thing is to get as much money as possible for their company.

How about issue updates to your entire userbase when their machines are at severe risk of security compromise?
How about not behaving worse than Apple about protecting your stuff?
How about being willing to take down "hate" videos when asked?

If Alphabet has a moral compass they don't know how to read it.

Do the right thing for the bottom line.
FTFY

To be fair I am fairly certain that a company like Google worries about the Top Line also, not JUST the bottom :p

Back