T-Mobile CEO On Experian's Data Breach

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are one of the 15 million people that signed up for a T-Mobile phone between September 2013 to September 2015, you might want to read this.

We have been notified by Experian, a vendor that processes our credit applications, that they have experienced a data breach. The investigation is ongoing, but what we know right now is that the hacker acquired the records of approximately 15 million people, including new applicants requiring a credit check for service or device financing from September 1, 2013 through September 16, 2015. These records include information such as name, address and birthdate as well as encrypted fields with Social Security number and ID number (such as driver’s license or passport number), and additional information used in T-Mobile’s own credit assessment. Experian has determined that this encryption may have been compromised. We are working with Experian to take protective steps for all of these consumers as quickly as possible.

How stupid is this. I wonder if they will give out free credit monitoring from Experian.

That's what happens when Experian moves all their jobs to South America.

Are you f*cking kidding me? I haven't received a notice about this and I'm a T-Mobile customer. I did however receive offers to upgrade to an IPhone (two of them), oh and my bill.

Gotta read...

We are working with Experian to take protective steps for all of these consumers as quickly as possible.

Anyone concerned that they may have been impacted by Experian’s data breach can sign up for two years of FREE credit monitoring and identity resolution services at www.protectmyID.com/securityincident.

Additionally, Experian issued a press release that you can read here, and you can view their Q&A at Experian.com/T-MobileFacts.

Are you f*cking kidding me? I haven't received a notice about this and I'm a T-Mobile customer. I did however receive offers to upgrade to an IPhone (two of them), oh and my bill.

That is what HardOCP is for. ;)

oh for fucks' sake

really?

this whole "internet" thing is starting to seem like a bad idea

Way ahead of ya (couldn't hold the reaction in. I rtfa! lol), but thanks! I was going to post that snippet but my daughter want to watch a show, so I decided to finish celebrating my 40th bday with her instead. Signing up for the free Experian Elite coverage and crossing my fingers.

Not only am I a T-Mobile customer, but my company provides the full Experian "Experience" aka Credit Monitoring service as a "Benefit".

The sad thing is managers/ceo's at these big companies that have data breaches will just brush them off their shoulder because they know nothing bad will happen to them.

It's time a few of them ended up in the Pokey for a year or two for negligence. This shit causes MAJOR damage to people's lives !

Not only am I a T-Mobile customer, but my company provides the full Experian "Experience" aka Credit Monitoring service as a "Benefit".

The sad thing is managers/ceo's at these big companies that have data breaches will just brush them off their shoulder because they know nothing bad will happen to them.

It's time a few of them ended up in the Pokey for a year or two for negligence. This shit causes MAJOR damage to people's lives !

That would be nice, too bad it will never happen.

Signed up for that protectmyID service. Hope they don't get hacked too!

I always felt these credit report agencies should be illegal. It's ridiculous how much information they collect about you, without your consent, and then PROFIT off that information by ratting people out. (I have fantastic credit BTW - and I still feel this way)

It's just shady to the max, it can and does do harm to people (oftentimes incorrectly - we've all seen the erroneous credit thing that needs to be fixed), it's a drain on the economy, and now they are proving to be a huge privacy and identity theft risk.

But none of this will change - business as usual... :rolleyes:

the attorney general, or department of justice, or whatever, recently stated theyre urging prosecutors to go after individuals within companies (e.g., CEO) instead of just the company itself. thats something i guess

until the repercussions of a data breech cost more than competent data security, this stuff will continue to happen often.

im a tmobile customer too. :(

I'm going to talk to my attorney on this one. It looks like I'm part of the data breach. However when I signed up for my T-Mobile service I paid them an $80 refundable at cancellation deposit specifically to avoid a credit check as I don't want my information all over the place. The rep advised me that they would not run the check if I paid the deposit. Well it looks like they ran it anyways as I called experian and they confirmed it.

Gotta love it... "we're taking steps to protect..." yeah you mean you're allowing people to sign up for a service so they have to do everything to protect themselves.

I really wonder what it costs a company like this to give free "credit monitoring" to all it's customers, I gotta believe there's some back room deal where it doesn't cost them much of anything in exchange for all the data on their customers to build a credit profile on them.

Thank you Tmobile/Experian for the 2 free years of credit monitoring you insecure sacks of crap

"We are working with Experian to take protective steps for all of these consumers as quickly as possible."

Capitalist dosen't give fucks. The next bilking date will arrive, and they will roll around in money.

Hmm... Why not just encrypt all this data? Preferably with different encryption.

I'm going to talk to my attorney on this one. It looks like I'm part of the data breach. However when I signed up for my T-Mobile service I paid them an $80 refundable at cancellation deposit specifically to avoid a credit check as I don't want my information all over the place. The rep advised me that they would not run the check if I paid the deposit. Well it looks like they ran it anyways as I called experian and they confirmed it.

For future reference, if you give your ssn to any company, they'll run your credit, even if they say they won't. There is literally no other reason for them to have it.

So Experian's answer to them allowing your information (given to them by T-Mobile) to be accessed illegally is to sign you up for their own service by giving your information to them...if they couldn't protect my information in the first place, why would I trust them with it now?...

Also, a T-Mobile customer...I brought my own phone (bought on amazon), but I'm sure my data was in there anyway...ugh...

For future reference, if you give your ssn to any company, they'll run your credit, even if they say they won't. There is literally no other reason for them to have it.

Some companies are required to collect it per the PATRIOT Act; they may not run it through a credit bureau (although many do).

Did you apply for service between Sept. 1, 2013, and Sept. 16, 2015? if you didn't you are fine.

I wonder if I get super-double protection since I got hit by this one and the BCBS data breach earlier this year...

OHHH free 2 years of protection.
What the hell is 2 years of protection going to do when your social security info & drivers license is spewed over 100s of unauthorized servers until the end of time?

Thank God my Credit Card numbers weren't breached, because those are impossible to cancel and replace. I'm so thankful it was only my Passport number, Driver's License number, social security number, full legal name, birth date, and address that were stolen, because those are a snap to cancel and replace.

I love all this tmo hate.. Cause like if you were a cell phone company who would be more trusty to run your customers credit then one of the fucking big 3 credit reporting agencies..

I mean seriously people... This is just another in a very long string of hacks.. My info got out.. Same with the target and the home depot hacks..

I wonder if at this point, hackers are just doing it to do it. With all the personal info that has been stolen in the past several years, and if all of that info was used in identity theft, wouldn't it impact the economy more?

If all the hacked info was used for identity theft then the who credit system would be pointless. Everyone would have enough bogus info that the scores would be irrelevant.

Hmm... Why not just encrypt all this data? Preferably with different encryption.

You do wonder, since they note the encryption may have been compromised, so what, another company using some lame MD5 hash or something..

http://lifehacker.com/experian-hacked-t-mobile-customer-data-stolen-1734117798

Update: A T-Mobile rep has informed us that this breach not only affects current T-Mobile customers who have applied for credit, but all credit applicants, current customer or not. That means if you applied for service or device financing with T-Mobile between September 1, 2013 and September 16, 2015, you may be affected even if you’re not currently a T-Mobile customer. Additionally, the free credit monitoring is available to anyone who may have been affected, not just current customers. The article has been adjusted to reflect this new information.

You know what pisses me off the most? Credit companies make you look bad if you don't OWN ANY DAMN credit cards!!! Maybe I dont want a damn credit card. Maybe I dont want to be in your system!

someone noted this on the comments
I just went to their site to cancel my monthly subscription. I had to call a # to cancel, but the automated cancellation service immediately offered to cut the cost by 50% for 5 years. Thought I’d pass this along for anyone else that was paying for this.

Apologies for replying to an almost 2-weeks-old post.

I want to point out that the breach is not just for those who applied for service between Sept 1 2013 to Sept 16 2015. I signed up for Tmobile service in June 2013, and I just got the Experian letter today that my information was stolen. That also means Tmobile kept my credit check information for more than their procedural 25 months.

The 'free' credit monitoring service that the letter suggested is protectmyid.com, which is also run by Experian. What's not mentioned in the letter is that an alternative credit monitoring service is available. I haven't looked into it yet but I think it's csid.com.

Apologies for replying to an almost 2-weeks-old post.

I want to point out that the breach is not just for those who applied for service between Sept 1 2013 to Sept 16 2015. I signed up for Tmobile service in June 2013, and I just got the Experian letter today that my information was stolen. That also means Tmobile kept my credit check information for more than their procedural 25 months.

The 'free' credit monitoring service that the letter suggested is protectmyid.com, which is also run by Experian. What's not mentioned in the letter is that an alternative credit monitoring service is available. I haven't looked into it yet but I think it's csid.com.

They never said they only keep the credit information for 25 months, just that the minimal they have to keep it is 25 months.

Back